Fan on a WR450

15 replies to this topic
  • PBDBLUE

Posted September 27, 2009 - 02:01 PM

Thought I'd share my latest project. On my last ride I had some overheaing on my '03 WR450 so I decided to look into putting a fan on the bike. After looking it over I decided that it was going to be difficult with the IMS tank. The IMS came on the bike when I bought it and I never really liked it much so now was a good excuse to ditch it and get the Acerbis 3.4g:thumbsup: I bought a SPAL 4" puller fan and made an aluminum mounting plate which my buddy welded onto the radiator brace. Again the brace came on the bike so I'm not sure who the mfr is. Frankly they are not very beefy braces but perfect to mount the fan on. So I got everything fitted up this morning and it looks like it's going line up nicely. Next I'll start working on a stator mod so the DC circuit can keep up and mounting up a thermal switch in the return hose to control the fan. So far so good.....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• yamaha227

Posted September 27, 2009 - 06:05 PM

Nice job, looks like a tidy install.

• thatraptorguy

Posted September 27, 2009 - 06:44 PM

what do you plan on doing for the stator mod

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 27, 2009 - 06:55 PM

what do you plan on doing for the stator mod

Baja Designs mod and regulator.

http://www.bajadesig... Stator Mod.pdf

I actually have a spare stator I already mod'd ready to go in.

• Slick_Nick

Posted September 27, 2009 - 07:06 PM

Very clean! Good job man!

• bigbubba76

Posted September 27, 2009 - 07:33 PM

Looks great!I put a fan on my Honda 450X.If you still need the temp.switch and fan harness I bought mine off ebay.Its the spal kit and comes with the thermostat,harness with relay,fuse holder and complete schematic/install instructions w/override switch option.There are two different kits one has a 185fh.temp. sensor the other is a 195fh.I went with the 195fh.Its only $34.19 with free shipping and the fan cost the same.It looks to be the same as yours Spal#VA32-A101-62A.I was amazed at the amount of air that fan pulls.
Posted Image

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 27, 2009 - 08:16 PM

Looks great!I put a fan on my Honda 450X.If you still need the temp.switch and fan harness I bought mine off ebay.Its the spal kit and comes with the thermostat,harness with relay,fuse holder and complete schematic/install instructions w/override switch option.There are two different kits one has a 185fh.temp. sensor the other is a 195fh.I went with the 195fh.Its only $34.19 with free shipping and the fan cost the same.It looks to be the same as yours Spal#VA32-A101-62A.I was amazed at the amount of air that fan pulls.
Posted Image

That's a nice install as well! If I didn't already have braces I would have gone with the ones similar to yours. I have those on my '08 and they're a much stronger design. I bought my stuff off Ebay as well probably from the same guy. Great deal and it does move alot of air. I have the 195 tstat on order but I didn't get the relay/harness kit because I wanted to go with a more compact relay. You really don't need a 40 amp relay to control a 2.5 amp fan! Anyway I got these 20A micro relays from Eastern Beaver.

http://easternbeaver...ays/relays.html

• bigbubba76

Posted September 27, 2009 - 09:02 PM

I agree the supplied relay is overkill thats part of the reason I haven't wired it up yet and it presents some mounting issues because of its size.I'm going to take a look at those 20A micro relays.The radiator guards/braces on my bike are from Mohard racing.You can see by the pic that I had to slightly relocate the smog equipment to get the fan to fit.Other than that it fits well with my IMS 3.2gal.Thanks for the relay link.
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jlow

Posted September 30, 2009 - 02:13 PM

Is there any specific reason for the fan switch? Could you just run the fan from a switch on the handlebars for when you are in slow conditions? I have an 08 wr450 and haven't overheated yet, but i know the day may come when i will. Great job on the work done! Where is the cheapest place to get the fan? thanks justin

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 30, 2009 - 02:16 PM

Posted Image

I told you it would fit :busted:

Nice job on the setup :banana:

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 30, 2009 - 03:53 PM

Is there any specific reason for the fan switch? Could you just run the fan from a switch on the handlebars for when you are in slow conditions? I have an 08 wr450 and haven't overheated yet, but i know the day may come when i will. Great job on the work done! Where is the cheapest place to get the fan? thanks justin

You don't need a thermostat switch. A handlebar switch will work fine I'm sure. The cheapest I've found is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...BLA&otn=5&ps=63

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 30, 2009 - 03:55 PM

Yeah it's tight but it just does fit. I had to orient the fan a particular way to get the spars that support the fan motor to clear the tank.

• jlow

Posted October 01, 2009 - 07:12 PM

pdbblue, thanks for the info. i found the fan and the specs on it. if i am correct, it's about 2.36 in thick. i only have about 1" on clearance between my stock tank and radiator. i also have works connection braces on them. i could not find an acerbis oversize tank for my bike(08 wr450). any ideas? thanks for the help, justin.

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 01, 2009 - 08:36 PM

pdbblue, thanks for the info. i found the fan and the specs on it. if i am correct, it's about 2.36 in thick. i only have about 1" on clearance between my stock tank and radiator. i also have works connection braces on them. i could not find an acerbis oversize tank for my bike(08 wr450). any ideas? thanks for the help, justin.

I haven't really looked at putting a fan on my 08 WR. I still have the stock tank on that bike. I know most prefer the IMS or Clarke tanks for that model year. Anyone with an IMS or a Clarke know if a fan will fit?????

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 02, 2009 - 06:33 AM

Anyone with an IMS or a Clarke know if a fan will fit?????

Ill have to go take a look...I'll get back to you but my thought is there is more room than what you had :busted:

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 02, 2009 - 08:54 AM

So I'm rethinking the stator mod. Saw a post over in the KTM forum (can't find it now) about using a bridge rectifier on the headlight (AC) circuit to power the fan. Cheap, easy and never a worry about killing the battery. I didn't plan on running the fan with the engine off anyway. I doubt the fan will mind that it's not clean filtered power. Gotta look into this one a little further.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.