Hinson clutch 09 450F

5 replies to this topic
  • haydug

Posted September 27, 2009 - 06:52 AM

I have a complete brand new hinson clutch setup that I bought for my 09 YZ450F. I was looking at them today and they are marked 04-06 YZ/YFZ 450. I did not think there was a difference, but thought I'd check. I did a search on hinson, and didn't find the answer.

• nickeenoo

Posted September 27, 2009 - 07:19 AM

I believe the difference between the 04-06 and 07 and newer models is the number of clutch plates. Most people think the 06 clutch was the best version anyway. I believe to use the 06 clutch on a later model you have to get some different parts but its not a big deal and in the end you have a better clutch anyway. I'm sure someone else will chime in who knows more than I do.

• grayracer513

Posted September 27, 2009 - 07:39 AM

The inner hub, basket and pressure plate are all the same parts for both the '03-'06 and '07-'09. The difference is in the plate sets: 9 for the older bikes, 8 for the newer.

To use the 9 plate stack in an '07 and later, you'll find it necessary to use the steel plates for an '06, and also the release arm from an '06 so it will push the pressure plate far enough. The rest of it should fit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • haydug

Posted September 27, 2009 - 07:46 AM

So, should I change plates to? The bike only has 4 hours on it, so maybe I'll throw in the hinson parts until they start slipping. Thanks for the info.

• grayracer513

Posted September 27, 2009 - 08:55 AM

If you are talking about using the Hinson hardware with the OEM plates, that will work OK.

• haydug

Posted September 30, 2009 - 11:25 AM

Has anyone tried out the slipper clutch for mx? I was thinking of selling this setup and trying the slipper out, but at $1,000 it kinda STEEP!

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.