how much does it cost to have your susspension set up by a shop?

15 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted September 26, 2009 - 08:11 PM

bought a wr426f and the suspension is kinda soft. i wiegh 230lbs do you think i should invest in it? only going to be hitting jumps about 4-7 high when i jump it but mostly for trails. havent got to ride it yet but i think this thing is bone stock. it needs some mods i think. cant get it too lift the wheel off the ground easily. also does any one know how to get tension on a clutch lever? i switched mine with a yz426f lever and it has no tension now. it seems to be engauging the clutch though when i pull it in.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 26, 2009 - 08:16 PM

I would ask the suspension guys here at thumpertalk.
They have a forum just for suspension.
Not sayin the guys in here don't know anything,they seem to know alot.

• erickdj

Posted September 26, 2009 - 09:04 PM

Every shop will have their own pricing, it's best to shop around for a while. it's also important to have it done by a shop with a good reputation, don't want to pay several hundred $$ for some sub-par job.

• bakeyz426f

Posted September 27, 2009 - 05:45 AM

is it hard to change the springs your self? if i got springs for my wieght would i notice a difference? do think a shop would do it for 300-400?

• Wrfrk

Posted September 27, 2009 - 06:32 AM

I just had it done on my 07 (springs and valving) I paid $400 for all of it.

• dirtrider115

Posted September 27, 2009 - 06:38 AM

Fresh oil and heavier springs would be the most economical way. If you send them off for a pro job figure around 500.00. get the part # from Yamaha for the heavier factory springs and check eBay ? just a thought.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 27, 2009 - 09:01 AM

A new thread that was started today,suspension done by Dave J. http://www.thumperta...d.php?p=8643338
If you ask the suspension guru's they can put you in the right area for spring weights and oils weights and heights.
They might even give you some pointers on how to do it yourself and save.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 27, 2009 - 10:49 AM

bought a wr426f and the suspension is kinda soft. i wiegh 230lbs do you think i should invest in it? only going to be hitting jumps about 4-7 high when i jump it but mostly for trails. havent got to ride it yet but i think this thing is bone stock. it needs some mods i think. cant get it too lift the wheel off the ground easily. also does any one know how to get tension on a clutch lever? i switched mine with a yz426f lever and it has no tension now. it seems to be engauging the clutch though when i pull it in.

You are not going to like that bike very much until you get the suspension done. Call Dave Johnson at Smart Performance Inc. He is extremely reasonable with his price.

www.smartperformanceinc.com

You can also post a message in the suspension forum where he hangs out offering help and advice to others.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrzDasher

Posted September 27, 2009 - 08:42 PM

Suspension is expensive but worth it. You can get front and rear springs for aroud 210 from race tech. having it valved is pricey aswell. Close to 2000 for front and rear. THat is re-valve, springs, rebuild, oil and labor.

• erickdj

Posted September 27, 2009 - 11:00 PM

Suspension is expensive but worth it. You can get front and rear springs for aroud 210 from race tech. having it valved is pricey aswell. Close to 2000 for front and rear. THat is re-valve, springs, rebuild, oil and labor.

$2K for suspension? F-that, I got myself a complete(forks & shock) 07 yz suspension already set up by ESP for $500 shipped off ebay.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 27, 2009 - 11:41 PM

$2K for suspension? F-that, I got myself a complete(forks & shock) 07 yz suspension already set up by ESP for $500 shipped off ebay.

I heard from a good source that Dave Johnson @ smart performance is the man to talk to about older YZ suspension.

• Diabs

Posted September 28, 2009 - 05:41 AM

Have you tried tweaking it yourself?...with the help from the manual in regards to the dial settings on top of the forks and the bottom? You'd be suprised how a few clicks here and ther can improve your ride.

I had to make mine more plush as it was set for someone 200lbs+(this is with stock suspension)

• bakeyz426f

Posted September 28, 2009 - 08:06 AM

no i have not done that yet. i think that will help some. it just might give it the extra little stiffness i need.

• DrzDasher

Posted September 28, 2009 - 10:40 PM

I am not sure what you got for five hundred bucks, but I hope it works for you. Sorry If I remember it is almost a grand for
front and rear(the works) from Precision.

• erickdj

Posted September 29, 2009 - 08:29 AM

I am not sure what you got for five hundred bucks, but I hope it works for you. Sorry If I remember it is almost a grand for
front and rear(the works) from Precision.

If you were referring to me, I got exactly what I said I did. And yes, it does work great on my bike. Precision can charge whatever they want for their services, I didn't buy anything from them.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 29, 2009 - 09:52 AM

And yes, it does work great on my bike. Precision can charge whatever they want for their services, I didn't buy anything from them.

A large part as to why erickdj YZ suspension setup works so well for him is that his weight feel with in range with how the suspension was delivered up to him.

Had I swapped YZ components over to my WR, I would still would have been looking at a revalve and respring...

The YZ swap works for some but not others...in my case, it was cheaper and JUST as effect as a tunned set of YZ forks :busted:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.