Too many switches

5 replies to this topic
  • eu001939

Posted September 26, 2009 - 10:42 AM

Who has some great toughts on the following problem:

My 2009 WR450F is sold in Europe with a kit for driving on the road. this kit is installed by Yamaha Europe (not at the factory) and has the necessary front and rear light, license plate holder, horn (SIC !) and turn signals installed.

With all this added equipment, the handle bar lay-out of the switches has changed: On the right you still have the starter switch, on the left they have moved the kill switch towards the middle (after the clutch fixation) , so a combination bar-switch could be added. On this you control low/high beam, horn and turn signals. The combination bar-switch is a large one like you would find on a roadbike.

Nice, but ... (there is always a but):

-Nobody has a thumb long enough to reach the kill switch without taking your hand of the handle, which I kinda can live with.

But here comes the problem: I need to add a remote control for the speedometer (I am putting the bike in rally/raid configuration), which again has the width of a kill switch and is thumb controlled.

So I'm puzzled at what the options are:

1) Grow a third, very long thumb ? nah...
2) Put the remote on the right ? Yes, but then I can't reach the start button, and using your throttle hand is not really practical.
3) Dump the combination bar-switch. yes, but then I have to find an alternative that is not so large and still has all the functions.
4) Find a combination switch with integrated start switch and move the kill switch to the right.
etc...

Plent of options, but sofar I haven't seen any combination bar-switches on the different websites that suit my needs.

Any toughts (serious or LOL :busted: ) on how I could solve this ?

thanks

• Sider_steve

Posted September 26, 2009 - 11:10 AM

Who has some great toughts on the following problem:

My 2009 WR450F is sold in Europe with a kit for driving on the road. this kit is installed by Yamaha Europe (not at the factory) and has the necessary front and rear light, license plate holder, horn (SIC !) and turn signals installed.

With all this added equipment, the handle bar lay-out of the switches has changed: On the right you still have the starter switch, on the left they have moved the kill switch towards the middle (after the clutch fixation) , so a combination bar-switch could be added. On this you control low/high beam, horn and turn signals. The combination bar-switch is a large one like you would find on a roadbike.

Nice, but ... (there is always a but):

-Nobody has a thumb long enough to reach the kill switch without taking your hand of the handle, which I kinda can live with.

But here comes the problem: I need to add a remote control for the speedometer (I am putting the bike in rally/raid configuration), which again has the width of a kill switch and is thumb controlled.

So I'm puzzled at what the options are:

1) Grow a third, very long thumb ? nah...
2) Put the remote on the right ? Yes, but then I can't reach the start button, and using your throttle hand is not really practical.
3) Dump the combination bar-switch. yes, but then I have to find an alternative that is not so large and still has all the functions.
4) Find a combination switch with integrated start switch and move the kill switch to the right.
etc...

Plent of options, but sofar I haven't seen any combination bar-switches on the different websites that suit my needs.

Any toughts (serious or LOL :busted: ) on how I could wolve this ?

thanks

Could you convert the horn button to work for your speedometer remote?

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 26, 2009 - 11:41 AM

what if you put the remote buton on the left side of the starter buton, or get a dual-buton switch to replace the starter? that would make it more compact

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eu001939

Posted September 26, 2009 - 02:04 PM

the remote has 3 buttons: see the picture in this thread:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=826015

If I could find a bar-switch block that has horn, turn signals, hi/lo beam and start button, then my problem is solved.

• Birdy426

Posted September 26, 2009 - 02:32 PM

Boyth Baja Designs and K & S have a pretty compact multi-function switch with low/high/off headlight, l and r turn signals, horn and kill...it may be small enough to let you move the clutch perch outboard, mount your new switch inboard of the clutch perch, and still be able to reach it.

You could also try these http://www.thumperta...ighlight=switch I have not used them, but they look trick, and I believe there were some favorable reports posted up in the D/S section...

• Vegemite_luva

Posted September 26, 2009 - 06:14 PM

To be honest I did not read your original post to carefully so I am not sure of the multitude of controls you need but the most clean and appearingly high quality switches I have seen are at:

http://www.highwaydi...s.com/HDB_Shop/

Not necessarily the cheapest but it looks like they can give you a ton of options as well as customization.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.