Coolant loss during transport

8 replies to this topic
  • tribalbc

Posted September 25, 2009 - 07:24 PM

Something my bike has done since new. When ever I truck my bike there will be a dribble of coolant in my truck bed under the coolant overflow tube. It's not a whole lot but it adds up over time. I think it has to do with when ever I truck my bike I will do big altitude changes, living in the mountains does that. I've never had this issue with bikes in the past but I've never had a coolant recovery tank before either.

Does anyone else notice this with their bike ?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 25, 2009 - 08:18 PM

Something my bike has done since new. When ever I truck my bike there will be a dribble of coolant in my truck bed under the coolant overflow tube. It's not a whole lot but it adds up over time. I think it has to do with when ever I truck my bike I will do big altitude changes, living in the mountains does that. I've never had this issue with bikes in the past but I've never had a coolant recovery tank before either.

Does anyone else notice this with their bike ?

Yep, same issue. Never had it on any other watercooled bike I've owned. I can't say that I've noticed it when I transport from home to the desert, but after riding the bike and loading back up, I always find a little bit of coolant on the bed mat of the truck when I get home. I don't overfill the overflow tank, but think that it is fluid that gets trapped in the line that goes from the overflow tank to down by the shock linkage. It's never been a lot, but I can see over time how it could add up. Just be safe and check the tank before each day's ride and it should not be a problem.

• KennyMc

Posted September 25, 2009 - 09:51 PM

Same here. Has done it since day one but as you point out, it is just a few drops (well, maybe 6).

• tribalbc

Posted September 26, 2009 - 05:15 AM

So it seems it's common. No biggie.
It's just funny that I've never had the issue with any other bike I've owned or any other model bike I truck with me.
I think it's pressure related because the more mountain pass's I go over the more I lose. 6 drops at a time do start adding up.
When I travel I either carry coolant with me or I overfill the catch tank a hair so it's right when I get there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 26, 2009 - 08:12 AM

So it seems it's common. No biggie.
It's just funny that I've never had the issue with any other bike I've owned or any other model bike I truck with me.

I like to just think it's because I've never had a bike as trick as a WR. :busted:

• WR_Dave

Posted September 26, 2009 - 08:50 AM

On my old WR426 I never had any coolant loss issues, but I think because the '07 and newer bikes have a much smaller coolant recovery tank there is a coolant loss issue. Mine always sits about 1" from the bottom of the recovery tank. If I fill it up a bit more, there is some loss of coolant during a ride. If I leave it at the level it finds for itself, I don't have any coolant loss. My reasoning is that during riding the expansion of the coolant will fill the recovery bottle and any extra that I may add just gets pushed out. I am thinking of trying a larger capacity recovery bottle to see if this stops the loss of coolant. It's not a big problem just an annoyance, it's just that the Yamaha engineers must have figured the bottle size to the exact drop on a running engine. I also ride regularly up to the 8000 + elevations. WR Dave

• ww44wrf450f

Posted September 26, 2009 - 09:19 AM

On my old WR426 I never had any coolant loss issues, but I think because the '07 and newer bikes have a much smaller coolant recovery tank there is a coolant loss issue. Mine always sits about 1" from the bottom of the recovery tank. If I fill it up a bit more, there is some loss of coolant during a ride. If I leave it at the level it finds for itself, I don't have any coolant loss. My reasoning is that during riding the expansion of the coolant will fill the recovery bottle and any extra that I may add just gets pushed out. I am thinking of trying a larger capacity recovery bottle to see if this stops the loss of coolant. It's not a big problem just an annoyance, it's just that the Yamaha engineers must have figured the bottle size to the exact drop on a running engine. I also ride regularly up to the 8000 + elevations. WR Dave

I agree, my 06 likes an inch or so in the surge tank.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 26, 2009 - 12:27 PM

My 06 never did this...my 08 does (which lead me to believe is has to do with the way tank is mounting and where the inlets are)

Its weird but not a big deal as the drips are coming fromt he recovery tank not the radiator:thumbsup:

• tribalbc

Posted September 26, 2009 - 12:52 PM

I always keep it just at the cold fill line (about 1") but I never have an issue riding, just transporting.
As everyone says it's really no big deal, just a bit of a PITA.
I was just wondering if anyone experienced the same and it seems it's pretty common 07+

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.