YZ450F horsepower ratings....

37 replies to this topic
  • Streets45

Posted September 24, 2009 - 02:42 PM

Ok, I am in the market for a new bike in 2010, and I can't make up my mind what to get....

I am a die hard Kawi fan.... and was getting a KX250F

but... i have been thinking i want a 450... and Mike Brown told me I should move up to the 450's....

so... I caught my eyes , of course, glued on this new YZ....

I have ridden my friends 2004 and 2003 YZ450F's....

I hear they were two of the hardest to ride 450s they have made... whether it was horsepower or gearing or what....

But I hear the FI 450s are actually easier to ride than a carbed one, even though they seem to make more power off the bottom...

SO.... I can ride teh hell out of my friends 04 YZ450... im comfortable enough on it to pop a wheely in fourth and ride it to the rev limiter... and i ride it harder than he does, poppin wheelys in corners, etc... lol and im talking about being in third haulin balls and shifting to 4th and taking off, and not the " i cant control the bike" wheelys... i just mean im on it that hard...

should I get this new one????

I want the jump to Yamaha mostly because of reliability more than anything, but this new bike helps too :busted:

just wondering what everyone's opinion is and if anyone has the horsepower numbers on the YZ450F from 03 -up...

and the jump to a 450? yay or nay guys? I'm 5'8 160 lbs... so i can kinda go either way as far as size goes...

I have always kind of felt that the 450 suits my style a little better

• erickdj

Posted September 24, 2009 - 02:53 PM

Ok, I am in the market for a new bike in 2010, and I can't make up my mind what to get....

I am a die hard Kawi fan.... and was getting a KX250F

but... i have been thinking i want a 450... and Mike Brown told me I should move up to the 450's....

so... I caught my eyes , of course, glued on this new YZ....

I have ridden my friends 2004 and 2003 YZ450F's....

I hear they were two of the hardest to ride 450s they have made... whether it was horsepower or gearing or what....

But I hear the FI 450s are actually easier to ride than a carbed one, even though they seem to make more power off the bottom...

SO.... I can ride teh hell out of my friends 04 YZ450... im comfortable enough on it to pop a wheely in fourth and ride it to the rev limiter... and i ride it harder than he does, poppin wheelys in corners, etc... lol and im talking about being in third haulin balls and shifting to 4th and taking off, and not the " i cant control the bike" wheelys... i just mean im on it that hard...

should I get this new one????

I want the jump to Yamaha mostly because of reliability more than anything, but this new bike helps too :busted:

just wondering what everyone's opinion is and if anyone has the horsepower numbers on the YZ450F from 03 -up...

and the jump to a 450? yay or nay guys? I'm 5'8 160 lbs... so i can kinda go either way as far as size goes...

I have always kind of felt that the 450 suits my style a little better

If you search this forum I'm sure you can find all kinds of HP stats on the different year yz's. What I recall reading is that every year they have increased the HP output of the bikes, with the 08's and 09's being around 52hp. The other thing that has changed is the way they put out that power, the 08 might feel more mellow than an 03, but it has more total HP output. Nobody here has ridden the 2010 yz450, so nobody can give you any specifics about how it rides. The magazines are posting their first impressions on the bike, and they all sound like the 2010 might be like the 03 with a crazy low/mid output. So it's really up to you, it's your decision if you "need" the bike or if you can afford it. I bought my 08 450 because I "wanted" it and because I could afford it, but didn't really have a "need" for it. HP numbers on these 450's are almost irrelevant since most recreational or non-professional riders can't effectively utilize all their power as it is. It's more important how the bike handles and if the rider feels comfortable with the bike in general. If you feel a 450 is for you, then look at the different options out there and take your pick. If you're highly focused on reliability, it's hard to go wrong with a Yamaha.

• grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2009 - 02:56 PM

The '03-'05 produced roughly 47-48 hp. The '06 usually posts 48-49.5. The '07 was about 0.5-1.0 higher than that, and the '08 will push against 52.

The difference is in the power delivery and management throughout the rev range, and the comparison between the '03 and the '06 will show you how wrong a "butt dyno" can be when the two bikes are run side by side on pavement.

• KJ790

Posted September 24, 2009 - 04:13 PM

Yup, the 03-05 YZ450F's felt more violent and more powerful, but the newer ones put out higher horse power and do it in a manner that is easier to ride. Don't worry about wheelies, you will be able to do them with ease.

• wondermuscle

Posted September 24, 2009 - 04:17 PM

Buy a bike you are comfortable on and set it up right. That will make you faster than buying a bike with the most HP. :busted:

• FinchFan194

Posted September 24, 2009 - 06:10 PM

I have an 04 and have ridden an 06 too so if you are going to buy used make sure to go 06 and up they are lightyears ahead of the steel framed bikes.

• Streets45

Posted September 24, 2009 - 06:51 PM

haha.. i dont really care about hp number as a buying decision... just wondered. lol... but yea i honestly dont know...

i know on my stock 2005 RMZ 250 on the track i wanted more power...

and i got that power when i hopped on the YZ450...

my question is, can i get the power boost i want on a 250 without buying pro circuits shop... so to speak... lol..

like, titanium valves, aftermarket cams, aftermarket exhaust.. MAYBE a head port... what would i be looking at power wise? I don't want to spend more than roughly $1000 on engine mods on a bike.

• FinchFan194

Posted September 24, 2009 - 06:55 PM

You can spend all you want on a 250f and they can make some pretty good power but like anything as power goes up reliability goes down. Especially if you are talking about major engine work like your last paragraph. At least in me experience which is very little in RMZ's.

• mywifefarts

Posted September 24, 2009 - 07:01 PM

Mike who?

• Streets45

Posted September 24, 2009 - 07:36 PM

Mike who?

BROWN!!!

surely to god you know who he is... 2001 125cc AMA Motocross champion.

• grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2009 - 07:43 PM

my question is, can i get the power boost i want on a 250 without buying pro circuits shop... so to speak... lol..

Probably not. Even if you get a YZ250F into the 40+ hp area, it won't be the same kind of power. It's like the comparison between a Porsche and a 427 Corvette.

• mywifefarts

Posted September 24, 2009 - 07:56 PM

BROWN!!!

surely to god you know who he is... 2001 125cc AMA Motocross champion.

Yes, but surely there's a story behind this. You can't just throw the name out there and make us wonder.

• saccityfire

Posted September 25, 2009 - 02:06 PM

James Stewart told me I could handle a 2010. Sure enough on media test day, I rode circles around him and Mike Brown. I woke up shortly thereafter covered in sweat and had a wicked cramp from falling asleep while changing the oil in my KLR110.

• ryzman

Posted September 28, 2009 - 12:17 PM

lol:thumbsup:
if you want raw power.. ther is no substitute for cc's 450 is designed to be powerfull!!! so you want power buy a 450

• Streets45

Posted September 28, 2009 - 02:36 PM

I like how people on here are douches... whether you are just jealous or what, people find it sooo hard to believe that I know Mike Brown and Kevin walker.... they live in the same area as me... I regualrly visit the yamaha shop where kevin works. Mike brown likes to help out at Jim's Cycles sometimes, and i occasionally walk in on a day he is there and get to have a little chat with him. If you were Travis Pastrana's neighbor and just walked over to his house, he would let you hang out with the gang, and hell you might end up on a show... this dissing of people who say something about knowing pros is stupid.

• LVThumper

Posted September 28, 2009 - 02:46 PM

I like how people on here are douches... this dissing of people who say something about knowing pros is stupid.

Seems like you just called yourself out on that one! :banana:

I think what was meant by mywifefarts is that when you start name dropping, a little background might be helpful. Otherwise people will assume you are doing just that, name dropping.

Back to your original question about what to buy, it's simple take Mike Brown's advice. If you already have it from him, why ask us here??

As stated before, there is no replacement for displacement.

Good luck and enjoy the new 450,

:busted:

• Wiz636

Posted September 28, 2009 - 02:55 PM

Back to your original question about what to buy, it's simple take Mike Brown's advice. If you already have it from him, why ask us here??

That's kind of what I was thinking. If Mike says to do it and you can pull fourth gear power wheelies out of corners then who cares what a bunch of jealous douches such as us think?

• Streets45

Posted September 28, 2009 - 03:05 PM

i worded my statement wrong, i was talking about people being douches to the ppl who say they know pros... anyways, lol.. and that was directed at the james stewart comment.. lol

idk... you guys have a good point... I mean, I have 2 pro's ( well Kevin may as well be, and he once was ) telling me go 450...

guess i should go 450! haha

Kawasaki or Yamaha ? ( 2010 )

• mywifefarts

Posted September 28, 2009 - 03:32 PM

I like how people on here are douches... whether you are just jealous or what, people find it sooo hard to believe that I know Mike Brown and Kevin walker.... they live in the same area as me... I regualrly visit the yamaha shop where kevin works. Mike brown likes to help out at Jim's Cycles sometimes, and i occasionally walk in on a day he is there and get to have a little chat with him. If you were Travis Pastrana's neighbor and just walked over to his house, he would let you hang out with the gang, and hell you might end up on a show... this dissing of people who say something about knowing pros is stupid.

Sweet! I think I'd be spending alot of time at Jim's Cycles.

• mywifefarts

Posted September 28, 2009 - 03:44 PM

Kawasaki or Yamaha ? ( 2010 )

I think the new Yamaha is looking irresistable. I would think you'd be in a good position to get the inside scoop on the what it's like before most of us douches!:busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

08 yz450 only 4 gears? by dirtjunkie23

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Problem with 14 450s by boegey

• Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2010-13 Issues? by Calhoun117

• Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Scared to buy another YZ450 ! by yam314

• Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Clutch arm spring help by rustynail

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.