2010 YZ450 test/ Cycle News

47 replies to this topic
  • IMCanadian

Posted October 06, 2009 - 10:07 AM

Why not just drive down to Minnesota or Michigan? and save a couple of pennies?

When you factor in the exchange rate and the hassles to get it back over the border then it's not worth it. I also register my bikes so that I can drive them on trails and you can't plate a motocross bike purchased from the states in Canada. If your only going to ride them on private property then you don't have to worry about registration and paying sales tax but in my case I do.

I also have a good dealer that I like to stay loyal to. It's important when purchasing a bike with little to no warranty. Anyway back to the new Yz450 discussions ;-)

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2009 - 11:59 AM

It's nothing new, we have a greater markup on most things compared to what you pay in the US. Just the fact of life here and in many countries.

Remember that next time you vote for someone who thinks it's a good idea to tax businesses. Businesses aren't the ones who end up paying those taxes.

• IMCanadian

Posted October 06, 2009 - 12:14 PM

Remember that next time you vote for someone who thinks it's a good idea to tax businesses. Businesses aren't the ones who end up paying those taxes.

Problem is that they all think its a good idea to tax ;-) There is no obvious reason as to why a Ford car or a Yamaha motorcycle cost more to purchase in Canada vs in the US. It just seems the companies assess the market and adjust the price accordingly. Now I guess in the case of Yamaha, if the bikes are entering the US first and then have to be brokered across the border then this would account for some of the costs. But I think it's more of what the market will bear.

• Sheriff245

Posted October 06, 2009 - 12:52 PM

Problem is that they all think its a good idea to tax ;-) There is no obvious reason as to why a Ford car or a Yamaha motorcycle cost more to purchase in Canada vs in the US. It just seems the companies assess the market and adjust the price accordingly. Now I guess in the case of Yamaha, if the bikes are entering the US first and then have to be brokered across the border then this would account for some of the costs. But I think it's more of what the market will bear.

Good point. Even cars that are made in Canada (Ford, GM, Acura, etc.) are MUCH cheaper in the US (sometimes 20%+).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mediumfast

Posted October 07, 2009 - 03:44 PM

Let us know when you get it.

• Polar_Bus

Posted October 08, 2009 - 02:53 AM

[quote name='wr450mazz'][quote name='mediumfast']back in the day I raced a 94 KX500. I still have nightmares about that....
QUOTE]

And i'm man enough to say in the late 80's when i rode a mates late 80's KX500,i could only manage 2 laps.
At 150lbs and 5ft6...it was too brutal for me to hang on BUT it was a ride i will never forget :busted:
My wr450f is a ***** compared to that KX500...no.... i will rephrase that

It doesn't compare!
I have a ton of respect for the riders of that era of monster 2 strokes :banana:[/QUOTE]

500cc 2 strokes are animals plain and simple, but are a TON of fun "notice my comment "TON" ?? LOL. They can be ridden gentile, but at some point no matter what 500's simple wear the rider down. But the "grin" factor when you have a KX/CR500 point in the right direction and you hold a cleanly jetted 500cc WFO is just brutal.... Every dirt enthusist at some point needs to try a 500cc 2 stroke once in their lifetime. I always encourage my experienced riding buddies to try my KX500, and some do, and some won't ! LOL

• Sheriff245

Posted October 08, 2009 - 05:44 AM

I'm getting a test bike for the week end. I hope I don't like it too much, because I can't afford a new bike for next year!

• Thumper38

Posted October 08, 2009 - 08:52 AM

I'm getting a test bike for the week end. I hope I don't like it too much, because I can't afford a new bike for next year!

Please give us some indepth feedback!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.