2010 YZ450 test/ Cycle News

47 replies to this topic
  • nephic

Posted September 29, 2009 - 11:29 PM

Well, that has been a bit of a gripe on others, I think that the Kawi drew the same type of critique, as well as the Honda. The EFI appears to just make stuff a little snappier. I for one am looking forward to it. I think it's funny that people are a little leary of that low to mid 03 type power. Being the proud owner of one such torpedo, and racing it every chance I get, I can't wait.

• Radbuster

Posted September 30, 2009 - 10:14 AM

It would be nice to try the GYTR tuning (fork?) tool and see if the power can be configured to act like a smooth Husaberg or '09 YZ450 as a woods weapon.

Screw e-start porkers. A rekluse, suspension work and maybe a flywheel :busted:

oooh, aaaah!

• ProMed

Posted October 01, 2009 - 12:53 PM

It would be nice to try the GYTR tuning (fork?) tool and see if the power can be configured to act like a smooth Husaberg or '09 YZ450 as a woods weapon.

Screw e-start porkers. A rekluse, suspension work and maybe a flywheel :busted:

oooh, aaaah!

I'm interested to see what kind of oversize tank solutions the vendors come up with.

• tk1

Posted October 01, 2009 - 04:23 PM

I'm interested to see what kind of oversize tank solutions the vendors come up with.

I wonder if something like this could adapted as auxiliary tanks. Note the potential for a lowered center of gravity.
Posted Image

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted October 01, 2009 - 06:28 PM

I think those would work fine as long as they were blue!

I am taking my 04 YZ450 to the dunes later this month - I can hardly wait to pull all the new 450's!!!

• Sheriff245

Posted October 03, 2009 - 07:43 AM

I got to try the bike yesterday night, and I have to tell you, the low end snap is scary. I have an RM-Z450 (also EFI) and they're not even in the same league. You can tune it down with the GYT-R tuner, then it gets smooth and fast. I rode it back to back with a brand new 09 and the difference was there in almost every department. It's hard to draw any conclusion yet though, because I rode it on a real SX track, which I had never done before.

I should have one to try soon at tracks that I am used to ride, and compare it to my own bike. Until then if you have questions feel free to ask.

• saccityfire

Posted October 03, 2009 - 09:04 PM

Until then if you have questions feel free to ask.

Handling? Cornering? Swaping? Overall feel?

• Sheriff245

Posted October 04, 2009 - 07:46 AM

Handling? Cornering? Swaping? Overall feel?

Handling was great. It was easier to toss around than the 09 and more stable in the whoops. I felt the gyro effect of the rear wheel was more noticeable in the air. The ergos felt very natural, but you don't feel it narrower between your legs.

I didn't get out of 2nd gear so for stabilité and such, I won't comment. I should get to ride it again on real tracks soon.

• IMCanadian

Posted October 04, 2009 - 09:52 AM

Until then if you have questions feel free to ask.

Just curious how you were able to ride one. Is it one of the bikes that the magazines got at the intro ride or is it a bike that was bought through a dealer. Curious to see if they are actually making their way into the supply chain in Canada or if this is one of the original test bikes.

• Kreskin

Posted October 04, 2009 - 10:21 AM

Yamaha Canada had an intro at the Montreal SX last night and allowed some pro's and Journalists to ride it on the actual SX track.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • IMCanadian

Posted October 04, 2009 - 11:57 AM

Yamaha Canada had an intro at the Montreal SX last night and allowed some pro's and Journalists to ride it on the actual SX track.

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was some sort of intro. I was getting my hopes up that they were actually ready for distribution. Soon though I hope.

• Sheriff245

Posted October 04, 2009 - 12:36 PM

At the intro, they said they should hit the showrooms some time in November. By the way, if you put a deposit on it or buy it before Dec. 31, you get the power tuner for free (Canada only).

• Kreskin

Posted October 04, 2009 - 02:48 PM

At the intro, they said they should hit the showrooms some time in November. By the way, if you put a deposit on it or buy it before Dec. 31, you get the power tuner for free (Canada only).

Dang, nice offer! Wish Kawi would have done that instead of giving me a Monster Energy Pit Tent this year.

• Sheriff245

Posted October 05, 2009 - 08:41 AM

Dang, nice offer! Wish Kawi would have done that instead of giving me a Monster Energy Pit Tent this year.

I'm sure your pit tent is much better than the mountain bike I got with my 98 KX80...:busted:

• saccityfire

Posted October 05, 2009 - 03:17 PM

Lucky Canadians! I've gotten the bike and nothing more. I'm glad the bikes have been worth every penny though.

• IMCanadian

Posted October 05, 2009 - 05:03 PM

Lucky Canadians! I've gotten the bike and nothing more. I'm glad the bikes have been worth every penny though.

I don't know how lucky we are with a $9599 price.

• saccityfire

Posted October 05, 2009 - 09:25 PM

That's 8,999.20 in American dollars or 899920 pennies :busted: I guess it really isn't all that lucky. You better ride the heck out of it for that many pennies. :banana:

• mediumfast

Posted October 06, 2009 - 06:07 AM

In that case guess who's getting screwed.....

• IMCanadian

Posted October 06, 2009 - 07:36 AM

In that case guess who's getting screwed.....

It's nothing new, we have a greater markup on most things compared to what you pay in the US. Just the fact of life here and in many countries. The issue I face is that dirt biking is not that popular of a sport in my area so the dealers rarely carry any dirt bike inventory. If you want it they order it and they also don't move much on the price..usually a few hundred dollars under MSRP.

I'm not complaining though, either way I'm getting the bike.

• saccityfire

Posted October 06, 2009 - 08:22 AM

Why not just drive down to Minnesota or Michigan? and save a couple of pennies?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.