Is my 426f dead?

9 replies to this topic
  • 2000 xr650r

Posted September 23, 2009 - 07:10 PM

My second bike is a 01 426f. I was riding it today and it ran fine during warm up then after 10 min of riding it struggled to idle and eventally died.

Upon restaring is seemed to be locked up. After a few very hard kicks it frees up and trys to start but will not run.

I cant rember when the valve were last checked:shocked: , does this sound like a top end issue? Thanks for help.

• Berm-Saw

Posted September 23, 2009 - 07:46 PM

sounds like crankshaft probs

• dunerat

Posted September 23, 2009 - 08:27 PM

sounds like the piston seized:(,check the oil level

• grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2009 - 08:36 PM

Sounds like people taking wild guesses. Time to start an orderly disassembly to find the problem. Start with the cam cover. Check the timing and valve clearance.

• dunerat

Posted September 23, 2009 - 08:56 PM

Sounds like people taking wild guesses. Time to start an orderly disassembly to find the problem. Start with the cam cover. Check the timing and valve clearance.

sound idea...sorry couldent resist:smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2000 xr650r

Posted September 24, 2009 - 04:56 AM

Thanks im tearing it down tonight ill check the valves timing first. The bike had oil. Btw im may part the bike out as 5th gear is blown as well.

• Berm-Saw

Posted September 24, 2009 - 06:46 PM

mine was not random, sounds like he has resistance some where in the motor...possible a crankshaft bearing going out.

• grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2009 - 07:00 PM

... sounds like he has resistance some where in the motor...

So, then, problems with the clutch, primary drive gears, transmission, kick starter gear train, balancer shaft, timing chain, cams, piston/cylinder, and stator plate are not worth considering?

OK.

• mjw1

Posted September 24, 2009 - 08:02 PM

You won't know what is wrong until you take it apart, the last time my bike came to a stop and locked up it was my clutch basket that broke. Didn't find that out until it was all torn apart and had to replace two gears it broke when the basket shattered.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted September 24, 2009 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for some of the suggestions, I am in the process of teardown.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.