Swingarm Grease

15 replies to this topic
  • Tim_in_WA

Posted March 30, 2001 - 09:36 AM

Anybody know if Silkolene RG2 contains molybdenum disulfide. The container doesn't specifically say, but I'm guessing it does. Just want to be sure before loading a bunch in my swingarm. Thanks....

• BruceWA

Posted March 30, 2001 - 10:21 PM

Hi Tim!

• Eric_in_WA

Posted March 30, 2001 - 12:22 PM

If it isn't very dark dark purple, then it doesn't have moly disulfide in it.

Eric in WA

• JBM

Posted March 30, 2001 - 02:16 PM

I just went to Autozone and bought Extreme Pressure Moly Graph. It was about $2-3. It says it is also water proof. Has worked for me.

• trailguy

Posted March 30, 2001 - 04:12 PM

It's about time you pulled that thing apart! Put some grease in that thing and lets go riding!

• Shane_From_Wa

Posted March 30, 2001 - 06:44 PM

Hey Tim where do you live man??? Ive got about 4 guys over here in spokane that ride WRs want to hook up sometime?? the more the merrier!!!

Shane From Washington / 2000WR YZ Timed/White Brothers E series exhaust (no disks) hi-Flo header/426 Jetting/Pro-Tapers/Applied Triple Clamp/Devol Rad guards and Yamaha Skid Plate/Acerbis Hand guards/One Industries Graphix and seat cover/Moose Fender bags and a bunch of other things that cost to much money!

• Taffy

Posted March 30, 2001 - 10:02 PM

teach me boys!

i've put grease nipples on mine & all i intend doing is giving it a squirt after every two jet washes.

surely this is better than a very expensive (but excellent) grease which is put in at the beginning of the season & has to be done again & again?

• mike_dean

Posted March 31, 2001 - 03:52 AM

Taffy, I've done the same thing and it works great on my 00 426. I just pump a little grease each time after I wash it and wipe off the excess. The first time I took it apart I installed fittings in the swingarm and linkage. Many years ago bikes came with these already installed. mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamahalic

Posted March 31, 2001 - 04:40 AM

Could one of you post photos of locations of zerks? I have about 250 miles on my 01 and will be pulling apart for preventive maintenance soon. I want to do steering head also. Kenny in W.WA

• Russ_P

Posted March 31, 2001 - 06:21 AM

To answer the original question, Moly is an enhancer not a base. Moly enhanced greases are a dark grey color. Bel-Ray water proof grease for instance is not Moly enhanced. Weather or not you use Moly grease or not is not the most important thing here though. Using a good quality grease IS. Too many bikes I've pulled apart were neglected in the critical areas and premature wear was the result. As far as zerk fittings go, they certainly are tempting. Though the manufacturers removed them. Why?, probably two reasons. 1 they add cost to purchase, prep the mating parts for, and install. But maybe the seals were being blown outward from pressures they were not designed to whithstand. If you do install fittings, use whith caution. Don't believe your tear down days are over. Cleaning and inspection are a big part of the excercise. I use Valvoline SynPower synthetic moly enhanced. Whatever you choose I recommend a synthetic. Synthetics can be mixed with any other base. Organic bases should only be mixed with those of the same type, and good luck finding out what the last guy used. Don't get caught up in the Motorcycle targeted high performance greases either. Bottom line, same or lesser performance 2x the cost.
Good luck and take care of your scoot.

• jj

Posted March 31, 2001 - 08:52 AM

Hi Tim.

NO RG2 does not contain moly :)

BUT it does work well in the wheel bearings, I've even been using it in my swing arm.

You and I probably ride in the same areas. I've noticed that I really need to keep up on cleaning and replacing the grease during the winter months. It's easy to tell when you need to clean and replace...the RG2 turns color. :D

JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• mike_dean

Posted March 31, 2001 - 02:28 PM

yamahalic, E-mail me your address and I will send you some pics. mike

• Tim_in_WA

Posted April 01, 2001 - 02:23 AM

OK, I guess I'm still a little confused. The Silkolene RG2 is suppose to be a very high quality grease, BUT it appears that it may not, or does not, contain moly (it is very dark purple if that is any indication). Should I just go ahead and use it for the swingarm bearings & bushings, or should I pop for some different stuff that specifically contains moly? :)

• jj

Posted April 02, 2001 - 07:12 AM

Moly is what Yamaha recomends but you do not NEED to use use it. RG2 is very high quality and it does work well. It has a high melting point, above 400 and it is waterproof.

I do know some people have choosen to actually mix moly grease with they're favorite grease. I suppose this would be a good grease to try that with because of it's quality. If I can remember that next time I run across some Moly I'll give it a try. But like I said I use the RG2 and have had very good success...

• Clark_Mason

Posted April 02, 2001 - 11:19 AM

Your local Honda dealer sells a 60% moly paste grease in the small tubes suiable for the smaller diameter hand held grease guns. Its specifically made for suspension components and is the only thing I use. Its Honda HP moly grease or something like that. The only tube I have left is in my small grease gun otherwise I would post the exact product name. Since I'm low I will get some soon and post the name and Honda part number.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 02, 2001 - 11:35 AM

I bought the Honda stuff per Clark's recommendation last summer. Seems to hold up well. It's in little black tubes at the dealer - you can't miss it. I think it was about $6

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.