2003 Wr450f Flywheel won't come off with tool

5 replies to this topic
  • Andrejs2112

Posted September 23, 2009 - 05:42 PM

My flywheel threads are junk so I can't get the rotor removal tool threaded on to remove the flywheel the proper way. The flywheel is junk so ruining it isn't a problem. I was going to try a 3 arm puller, but I'm not sure the arms have enough to grab onto and hold. Anybody have other ideas?

• mrlopez

Posted September 24, 2009 - 08:22 AM

Maybe you can retread it to the next size

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 24, 2009 - 08:51 AM

My flywheel threads are junk so I can't get the rotor removal tool threaded on to remove the flywheel the proper way. The flywheel is junk so ruining it isn't a problem. I was going to try a 3 arm puller, but I'm not sure the arms have enough to grab onto and hold. Anybody have other ideas?

The 3 arm puller wont work...

If you have a welder, throw a few tac welds on the tool and fly wheel :busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted September 24, 2009 - 09:03 AM

Drill and tap two or three holes in the flywheel and use a bolt grip puller like you would use on a steering wheel or a harmonic balancer???

• Andrejs2112

Posted September 24, 2009 - 01:16 PM

I got a 4" puller today. I put it on, heated the flywheel a bit, got a hammer and tapped and tightened, tapped and tightened, etc, etc. Came off without a pop or much resistance. Didn't have to hit it very hard at all. Just firm taps. Thanks for all of the replies.

• Andrejs2112

Posted September 24, 2009 - 01:20 PM

Now I need to get out all of the copper and plastic bits out of the bottom of the crankcase. How dangerous is it to have a few of those bits in there?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.