Carb Removal Help....

8 replies to this topic
  • Six5

Posted September 23, 2009 - 05:23 PM

OK, I've done some searching and can't find the answers I'm looking for, so here goes:
I'm trying to take my carb off of my '07 YZ450F so I can clean it. I've removed the sub frame, shock, and gas tank. I'm having trouble with the hot start cable and the throttle cables.

Are there any tricks to getting the throttle cables off? There doesn't seem to be enough slack to quite get that end ferrule out of the hole.

And does the hot start cable PULL out, or UNSCREW?

And I assume that I disconnect the TPS at the coupler (zip-tied further up the frame), not at the carb?

Lastly, I tried getting the float bowl off while on the bike, but the acc pump push rod won't let me. Do I need to remove the little acc pump cover that's on the bottom of the carb? And if so, will the spring & diaphragm fall out?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• ja-mudder

Posted September 23, 2009 - 06:55 PM

Oh damm you can leave that rear shock on next time you try this. 2nd the hot start unscrews 3rd DO NOT remove the TPS unless you have a seal to replace it with when you put it back just seperate at the clip ziped tyed to the frame 4th take the carb out of the frame the same side the throtall cables run along and leave them hooked up its much easer and will will have alot more room to work with than you think. this is why u leave the shock in. and for the bowl on anything iv wrenched on its 4 allen bolts and thats it im sure your 07 is the same as my 07 or the 06
and while your in there rejet it if its not allready stock is 42p 165main or 172 for see level
anything else??

• grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2009 - 07:57 PM

If you remove the upper motor mounts, the process will be much simpler.

Remove the mounts, unscrew the hot start, disconnect the throttle cables, disconnect the TPS at the connector. Never remove the TPS from the carb unless you want all the fun of readjusting it.

Unbolt the air box from the subframe (4 bolts) and remove the sub. Remove the air box by unclamping it from the carb. Assemble in reverse order.

Regarding jetting, visit the user jetting DB for the '07. A 172 is only necessary at sea level in the winter.

• Six5

Posted September 23, 2009 - 08:03 PM

Thanks ja-mudder. But it doesn't seem like I would be able to get the carb out without removing the throttle cables. You're saying take it out IN FRONT of the frame support on the right side, right?

And I took the 4 allen bolts out of the float bowl but it won't come completely off. As you see in the 3rd pic, it only separates a little and then it feels like the push rod is preventing it from coming off. Unless maybe I need to pull hard on it?

I've got a few extra main jets and one extra pilot jet that came with the bike. I'll have to see what sizes they are, and what's currently in the bike. All I know is my idle is really jacked up, so I'm thinking the pilot jet is clogged or something.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Six5

Posted September 23, 2009 - 08:07 PM

But hey gray, how do you disconnect the throttle cables? There's not enough slack to get them out of their holes. Any trick? I tried sliding a flat screwdriver under the cable, slowly moving it towards the ferrule, but it wouldn't quite make it all the way to the end. Close, but no cigar.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 23, 2009 - 08:17 PM

you can get the needed slack in the throttle cables by taking the throttle assembly on the bars apart.
Slide the rubber cover down onto the cables and remove 2 screws.

• grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2009 - 08:33 PM

But hey gray, how do you disconnect the throttle cables? There's not enough slack to get them out of their holes. Any trick? I tried sliding a flat screwdriver under the cable, slowly moving it towards the ferrule, but it wouldn't quite make it all the way to the end. Close, but no cigar.

The lower cable anchor hole at the carb is slotted. Loosen the adjuster and slide it out to the side.

• Six5

Posted September 23, 2009 - 08:52 PM

you can get the needed slack in the throttle cables by taking the throttle assembly on the bars apart.
Slide the rubber cover down onto the cables and remove 2 screws.

I actually considered this method today, but I ran out of time.

• Six5

Posted September 24, 2009 - 05:12 PM

OK, I got it removed today! Removing the upper engine mounts was key to getting the hot start disconnected. Thanks guys!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.