Wr 450 fmf heat problems

2 replies to this topic
  • mineolaman

Posted September 23, 2009 - 02:41 PM

Howdy fellas,

I've got a 2003 wr450 that i just installed a fmf powercore 4 pipe on. I love the roar it makes but i've got a problem with the shock bottle reservoir. The pipe went on flawlessly, all holes lined up perfectly, no probs, but noticed today that the header piece that ties on to the factory header is up against the reservoir bottle and the bottle got blistering hot! Of course the word explosion comes to mind here! I need some advice on how to get the pipe away from the bottle to try and reduce heat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, shawn

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • avapxia

Posted September 23, 2009 - 05:07 PM

I put a Q on mine and noticed it get leaner, which also means hotter in the pipe. I think the power core is even more free flowing and will need a carb adjustment to richen it up. This may also start burning your exhaust valves.
To protect the reservoir get a piece of header wrap and wrap the part of the pipe that goes near, and if possible get a small piece of heat shield (those with aluminum foil on the outside) and strap it on the side.

[quote name='mineolaman']
I've got a 2003 wr450 that i just installed a fmf powercore 4 pipe on. I love the roar it makes but i've got a problem with the shock bottle reservoir. The pipe went on flawlessly, all holes lined up perfectly, no probs, but noticed today that the header piece that ties on to the factory header is up against the reservoir bottle
/QUOTE]

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 23, 2009 - 06:29 PM

Howdy fellas,

I've got a 2003 wr450 that i just installed a fmf powercore 4 pipe on. I love the roar it makes but i've got a problem with the shock bottle reservoir. The pipe went on flawlessly, all holes lined up perfectly, no probs, but noticed today that the header piece that ties on to the factory header is up against the reservoir bottle and the bottle got blistering hot! Of course the word explosion comes to mind here! I need some advice on how to get the pipe away from the bottle to try and reduce heat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, shawn

If you upgrade from the stock pipe, you need to rejet. If you have the stock jetting you REALLY need to rejet. It is running very lean (hot).

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.