Looking at buying an 08 YZ450.

62 replies to this topic
  • SparksXR426

Posted September 24, 2009 - 06:48 PM

I have idled mine for like 5 or 6 minutes and it doesn't spit any coolant.

Same here, over 40 hours on mine now and still havent had to top off the rad from new, cores are nicely covered. I figured I would have to put a recovery bottle on mine but it hasnt been an issue yet, even on first gear "one guy pushes and one pulls" sections.:busted:

• rdefonce

Posted September 25, 2009 - 06:10 AM

Same here, over 40 hours on mine now and still havent had to top off the rad from new, cores are nicely covered. I figured I would have to put a recovery bottle on mine but it hasnt been an issue yet, even on first gear "one guy pushes and one pulls" sections.:busted:

I said my 450 spit some, but forgot to mention it was at high altitude, somewhere between 12 - 13,000 ft. That might be the only reason it happened. Even then I didn't have to add any.

• Fabulous

Posted September 25, 2009 - 05:10 PM

I put on the large capacity rads today, and it's 100%...no more spitting coolant, and I let it idle for 7-8 minutes. Now I just have to put on my One industries Team Yamaha graphics, and hand guards...sooo stoked about this bike.

• erickdj

Posted September 25, 2009 - 09:39 PM

post some pics of your bike.

• Fabulous

Posted September 26, 2009 - 08:49 AM

I have never done it, so I don't know how. Don't really feel like setting up an account at photobucket. Is there another way? It's pretty much stock right now other than some One Industries Alpinestar graphics that gotta go...in the process of putting new graphics on new plastic as we speak. I also have to put on my 51 tooth rear sprocket, and hand guards.

• erickdj

Posted September 26, 2009 - 09:02 PM

photobucket is about the easiest way I can think of for pictures. Let us know how you like the 51 tooth sprocket.

• Fabulous

Posted September 26, 2009 - 09:36 PM

51 tooth is awesome! Better down low, and accelerates really strong...I'm gonna kill myself on this thing:)

• erickdj

Posted September 27, 2009 - 07:38 AM

Does it sill have the stock muffler? If it does, you might want to keep an eye on ebay for an 06 stock muffler, they can be found really cheap and really wake up the bike. Then you'll really kill yourself...

• Fabulous

Posted September 27, 2009 - 09:30 AM

It does have the stock muffler, but the header has a slight bend in it. I'll probably get a new header on it, and put on a Pro Moto end cap, or buy a full system off eBay. I have to have a spark arrestor where I ride. I almost wonder if a 52 tooth would have been better, but I'm sure that top speed would have been drastically reduced.

• grayracer513

Posted September 27, 2009 - 12:48 PM

I'll probably get a new header on it, and put on a Pro Moto end cap, or buy a full system off eBay. I have to have a spark arrestor where I ride.

The Stainless DRD system with the removable sparky will serve that purpose and really wake the bike up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim813

Posted September 27, 2009 - 01:21 PM

The Stainless DRD system with the removable sparky will serve that purpose and really wake the bike up.

Gray,
Have you ever experienced or heard of anyone experiencing issues with the Dr.D muffler packing blowing out of the canister or the canister needing repacking quite often?

• grayracer513

Posted September 27, 2009 - 01:30 PM

My son blew the OEM packing out of his once. We repack about once each 8-10 months using DRD kits, and have no real problems with it. Loose aftermarket packing is a nuisance, and a waste of time and money, as it will not stay in place. The DRD kits are easy to install, make no mess in the process, and last far, far longer.

• Jim813

Posted September 27, 2009 - 01:39 PM

How many hours do you usually ride with the Dr.D repack kit before repacking? And any comments with the quiet insert on the Dr.d stainless?

• grayracer513

Posted September 27, 2009 - 03:45 PM

How many hours do you usually ride with the Dr.D repack kit before repacking? And any comments with the quiet insert on the Dr.d stainless?

75 or so. Mostly desert racing and recreational riding.

Never used the quiet insert.

• Jim813

Posted September 27, 2009 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the info.

To the OP: Sorry to go off topic on your thread.

• erickdj

Posted September 27, 2009 - 10:58 PM

+1. totally agree with this. That's the same exhaust I got on my 08. The Dr.D with the 51t sprocket really wakes this baby up.:busted: :banana: Very powerful and doesn't lose much top speed. Pretty much the only non-stock components on my yz are the Dr.D exhaust, 51t sprocket, and blue ASV F3 levers, everything else is stock and the bike feels perfect as it is.

• Fabulous

Posted September 28, 2009 - 07:46 AM

What would be the better full system for this unit...the DRD or a Jardine RT5? I want something that's not super loud, and has a spark arrestor. With these full systems I see that they do not have guards so do you end up burning your riding pants? I had a full system on my old DRZ400 and ended up burning my pants on it until I got a guard...what do you guys do? Anyone have a pic of either pipe on a 06-09 450? Thanks again guys...I know I made the right decision getting this 450...just reading on here for the last couple months, and seeing how you guys are all so informative (especially grey) really makes me feel good about my purchase.

Thanks again :busted:

• grayracer513

Posted September 28, 2009 - 08:23 AM

I honestly don't know much about the Jardine. The DRD is neither particularly loud nor is it exceptionally quiet. They sound OK to me, and are supposed to pass AMA sound tests when the packing is healthy.

I've never had a problem keeping my pants off the header, ALTHOUGH there is one little thing you should be aware of. The DRD header is drooped at the front to accommodate the company's radiator lowering kit, and on most bikes, it drops just low enough to interfere with removing the front oil filter cover bolt.

One solution is to loosen (not remove) the header each time you service the filter so you can pulll it up out of the way (it doesn't take much), or you can do as I did and substitute a stud and nut for the front bolt.

This was true of the exhaust made two years ago, th efirst of the second generation cans with the long end cones. It's possible that this may have been corrected on current models. In looking at the header, it really would take very little to get it to clear.

• erickdj

Posted September 28, 2009 - 08:41 AM

What would be the better full system for this unit...the DRD or a Jardine RT5? I want something that's not super loud, and has a spark arrestor. With these full systems I see that they do not have guards so do you end up burning your riding pants? I had a full system on my old DRZ400 and ended up burning my pants on it until I got a guard...what do you guys do? Anyone have a pic of either pipe on a 06-09 450? Thanks again guys...I know I made the right decision getting this 450...just reading on here for the last couple months, and seeing how you guys are all so informative (especially grey) really makes me feel good about my purchase.

Thanks again :busted:

Unfortunately they don't come with a guard, so there's the risk of burned pants. I usually ride with pants in the boot, so it's not a big deal. But it's possible to add a guard with some clamps, or you could use some header wrap. Haven't heard of anyone using the Jardine system, don't have anything good or bad to say about them. There's no way to go wrong with the Dr.D for the price, the owner has worked with yamaha for several years and he's the one providing yamaha's GYTR mufflers for the 2010 yz, so you can be sure he knows his stuff. I only have this crappy picture handy right now: Posted Image

• Fabulous

Posted September 28, 2009 - 09:44 AM

I would have to get a guard for sure, as I wear over the boot pants. Thanks for the pics. You can see the pic of the one I picked up in my garage now. It'll be different in a week or so...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.