Looking at buying an 08 YZ450.

62 replies to this topic
  • Fabulous

Posted September 23, 2009 - 09:48 AM

I'm looking at an 08 YZ450 tonight, and the owner says it has super low hours, but isn't sure quite how many...say's 50 max. The pics show the bike to be super clean with just some slight wear on the clutch cover and ignition cover, and he's been super diligent with oil changes, and filter cleaning. It also has a skid plate, hand and rad guards, and comes with some larger aftermarket rads that haven't even been put on the bike yet. He's had the forks/ shock serviced, and the valves checked a month ago and it was all kosher. Owner originally wanted $5000 but really needs to sell it as he's going to school, so I talked him into $4000...what you think? If I'm trail riding this thing how long can I expect it to go on a top end/ valves? I'm also looking at an 07 YZ250 2 stroke for $4000 as well, so I'm having a tough decision...

• cowboyona426

Posted September 23, 2009 - 09:57 AM

4 grand seems fair to me. Be sure to look it over real close to make sure you aren't buying somebody else's problem.

• Fabulous

Posted September 23, 2009 - 10:34 AM

Oh I will check it over with a fine tooth comb, as I'm very details oriented. I think the price is very fair as I'm in Calgary Canada, and our prices are quite a bit higher than down in the States. You think the 450 is a better choice over a YZ250 2 stroke?

• cowboyona426

Posted September 23, 2009 - 10:43 AM

Oh I will check it over with a fine tooth comb, as I'm very details oriented. I think the price is very fair as I'm in Calgary Canada, and our prices are quite a bit higher than down in the States. You think the 450 is a better choice over a YZ250 2 stroke?

Yes! I'm a big 4 stroke fan after owning one for nearly a decade now. 2 strokes just feel weak to me now, and I like the broad useable power of a big bore thumper.

• erickdj

Posted September 23, 2009 - 11:08 AM

The price is quite fair, specially if it's $4000 canadian dollars. The biggest thing is that the bike has been taken care of and been properly maintained(if he's telling the truth). Between the 4-stroke and 2-stroke I think it's a matter of taste and personal preference. I see in your garage that you got a 250 4-stroke and a 125 2-stroke, so you have an idea of how the two different engines work. Both the 450 and a 250 2t will have plenty of power for the recreational user, the 450 will just have a broader power curve, power everywhere.

• Fabulous

Posted September 23, 2009 - 12:16 PM

The 250 is my wife's new CRF250X which we got her a month ago...it's what made me think about getting a 450 over the 250 2 stroke. It's not super powerful, but makes going everywhere way easier...I just want more power than what a 250 4 stroke provides. I'm just hesitant as the cost of everything on a 4 stroke is more...especially on a Yamaha as apposed to the Honda. I wanted the WR for my wife, but there were zero around...got the CRF because parts are a lot cheaper than the WR's in the case of an engine problem/ valve train replacement. 2 Strokes are a lot cheaper if something goes wrong... How bulletproof are these 450 YZ's really if someone is doing trail type riding, and some track?

• erickdj

Posted September 23, 2009 - 01:09 PM

The 250 is my wife's new CRF250X which we got her a month ago...it's what made me think about getting a 450 over the 250 2 stroke. It's not super powerful, but makes going everywhere way easier...I just want more power than what a 250 4 stroke provides. I'm just hesitant as the cost of everything on a 4 stroke is more...especially on a Yamaha as apposed to the Honda. I wanted the WR for my wife, but there were zero around...got the CRF because parts are a lot cheaper than the WR's in the case of an engine problem/ valve train replacement. 2 Strokes are a lot cheaper if something goes wrong... How bulletproof are these 450 YZ's really if someone is doing trail type riding, and some track?

Funny you mention those arguments about Honda vs. Yamaha. I haven't found Yamaha parts to be expensive at all, quite reasonable prices actually. Yamaha 4-strokes have legendary reliability, while Hondas actually have legendary valve issues. Have you modded your girl's 250x? Have you added a pipe and fully uncorked the bike? If not, you still haven't seen what kind of power a 250f can have. YZF's are very bulletproof, not likely that you would have any issues with a properly maintained YZF that's used for trails and occasional track usage. I've seen plenty of late 90's YZ400F's that are still running great on stock motors, stock valvetrains, no valve issues or any other problems at all. The 450F would have TONS more power than a 250F, no comparison there.

• Fabulous

Posted September 23, 2009 - 02:11 PM

Wife's bike is stock, but yeah I have tried out a YZ250F and although it was strong, it wasn't what I wanted in terms of power...hence the 250 2 stroke, or 450. I have actually perused this site a lot, and have read countless threads about how the YZF's are the most reliable 4 strokes going...it's why I want one :busted: I also happen to really dig the way the bikes look compared to a 250 2 stroke. Appreciate all the help...

• erickdj

Posted September 23, 2009 - 02:55 PM

Wife's bike is stock, but yeah I have tried out a YZ250F and although it was strong, it wasn't what I wanted in terms of power...hence the 250 2 stroke, or 450. I have actually perused this site a lot, and have read countless threads about how the YZF's are the most reliable 4 strokes going...it's why I want one :thumbsup: I also happen to really dig the way the bikes look compared to a 250 2 stroke. Appreciate all the help...

Ok, having heard that, I think the yz450f is a great candidate for you! So I'm going to give you some reasons that bike is great for you:

Great motor, smooth, yet very powerful.
Great handling, point it in the right direction and it will take you there.
Awesome stock suspension, it was called the best production suspension when it came out.
Legendary reliability, hardly any issues with the bike when maintained properly.
Bulletproof valvetrain, most people don't even need to adjust valves for years.
Feels pretty lightweight for a 450.

What else could you ask for? :busted:

• Wiz636

Posted September 23, 2009 - 03:03 PM

...got the CRF because parts are a lot cheaper than the WR's in the case of an engine problem/ valve train replacement. 2 Strokes are a lot cheaper if something goes wrong... How bulletproof are these 450 YZ's really if someone is doing trail type riding, and some track?

The YZ450 is the single most bulletproof 4T MX bike made. You will spend more money on your wife's Honda.

Just keep the oil changed, the airfilter clean, and ride. :busted: For trail riding and an occasional MX play day you should easily get 100 hours (or more) on it before you need to adjust the valves. I'm not saying not to check them just in case, but chances are that they will stay in spec.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim813

Posted September 23, 2009 - 06:54 PM

I'm looking at an 08 YZ450 tonight, and the owner says it has super low hours, but isn't sure quite how many...say's 50 max. The pics show the bike to be super clean with just some slight wear on the clutch cover and ignition cover, and he's been super diligent with oil changes, and filter cleaning. It also has a skid plate, hand and rad guards, and comes with some larger aftermarket rads that haven't even been put on the bike yet. He's had the forks/ shock serviced, and the valves checked a month ago and it was all kosher. Owner originally wanted $5000 but really needs to sell it as he's going to school, so I talked him into $4000...what you think? If I'm trail riding this thing how long can I expect it to go on a top end/ valves? I'm also looking at an 07 YZ250 2 stroke for $4000 as well, so I'm having a tough decision...

What are you looking for out of a bike and what do you plan to use it for?

• Fabulous

Posted September 24, 2009 - 06:53 AM

I bought the bike... it was too nice to resist. I will have to buy a new header for it as the owner dropped it, and it has a slight bend just behind the heat shield, but that is what eBay is for, right. It also came with some larger capacity radiators for the bike, which I think I'll be putting on right away, as I went for a ride yesterday, and I noticed it spit out some coolant...these don't like to sit and idle do they? Any other things I can do to help with it spitting coolant? Engine Ice? All in all I'm very happy with the bike, as it has more than enough power for what I need. I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a larger sprocket out back, as it's geared rather high...2 or 3 teeth up ya think? Thanks a bunch for all your help guys...

• WGP

Posted September 24, 2009 - 08:17 AM

No they don't like sit and idle for more than 20-30 seconds.

You should look in the carb and see what jets are in there.
Probably want a 48 pilot and smaller leak jet. see the jetting database sticky

I have used both Engine Ice and Zip-ty racing coolant both work great for stopping boil over in combination with the correct jetting.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 24, 2009 - 08:31 AM

Try dropping to a 12t front sprocket, it will be a less expensive way to see if that gearing works for you. 1 tooth on the front = 3 on the rear, stock front it 13.
You could rig up a puke tank so that if it boils over the antifreeze has somewhere to go... lots of options for this.
And look into getting a GYT-R heavy off road flywheel... the heaviest one they offer.

• erickdj

Posted September 24, 2009 - 08:32 AM

Congratulations on getting the bike! Now you'll experience the awesome feeling of owning one of these fine machines... They don't like to sit and idle, they want to be ridden hard. It's normal to have them spit out a few drops of coolant if you sit idling for a couple minutes, but it shouldn't drip coolant while riding, unless you were going really slow. It would be a good idea to check your jetting and fuel screw settings, it might be running a bit lean for your location. Depending on how bad the header is bent, it might have something to do with that as well. Stock headers can be had cheap on ebay. For the gearing, I changed the rear 49-tooth to a 51-tooth. It improved the slow speed riding a bit, keeps it from stalling in tight slow areas. It did wake up the low end even more, pulls even harder than before. It really didn't hurt the top speed all that much, it still goes very fast, faster than most people need it to go while riding trails or MX tracks. I'm pretty sure that mine has gone up to 70mph with the new gearing, and it could still have gone faster, I really don't need it to go that fast for what I do.
Here's a link to the sprocket I bought:
http://www.rockymoun...2#vehicleSelect

• Fabulous

Posted September 24, 2009 - 08:34 AM

Thanks guys :busted: Another question for you...is the header for these bike the same from 06 onwards? I've seen some used ones on eBay for cheap, but they are for 06/07's...will these fit?

• grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2009 - 08:38 AM

Thanks guys :busted: Another question for you...is the header for these bike the same from 06 onwards? I've seen some used ones on eBay for cheap, but they are for 06/07's...will these fit?

No. The '06, '07, and '08-9 are each different. If you change the muffler, which you will most likely want to, you can use any header you'd like that matches the slip on you buy, or just spring for a full system like the DRD.

You know that you can fill the header with water and stand it on the U bend in the freezer to push dents out, right? May take several iterations to get it completely out, but it works, and it's free.

• rdefonce

Posted September 24, 2009 - 08:38 AM

I bought the bike... it was too nice to resist. I will have to buy a new header for it as the owner dropped it, and it has a slight bend just behind the heat shield, but that is what eBay is for, right. It also came with some larger capacity radiators for the bike, which I think I'll be putting on right away, as I went for a ride yesterday, and I noticed it spit out some coolant...these don't like to sit and idle do they? Any other things I can do to help with it spitting coolant? Engine Ice? All in all I'm very happy with the bike, as it has more than enough power for what I need. I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a larger sprocket out back, as it's geared rather high...2 or 3 teeth up ya think? Thanks a bunch for all your help guys...

Congrats on your purchase.
I also bought a used '08. It was used pretty hard, but I freshened it up, and even installed a new cam chain for insurance, and adjusted the valves (they were barely out of spec.)
It has been very reliable.
My bike has only spit coolant once, only a little bit. I haven't tried Engine Ice.
Yes, gearing is tall in 1st. I have a 50t rear sprocket (49 stock) I will install when I change my tire, for a slight gearing change.
If you go 3 or more teeth bigger in back, you may need a different chain guide, since it might interfere with the larger sprocket.
Have fun with your bike!:busted:

• cowboyona426

Posted September 24, 2009 - 09:13 AM

You know that you can fill the header with water and stand it on the U bend in the freezer to push dents out, right? May take several iterations to get it completely out, but it works, and it's free.

I tried it 3x on my stock header... never even budged. One small ding right in the curve of the header.

• KAS

Posted September 24, 2009 - 06:28 PM

I have idled mine for like 5 or 6 minutes and it doesn't spit any coolant.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.