valve clearance issues

4 replies to this topic
  • thatraptorguy

Posted September 22, 2009 - 05:52 PM

so i finally got the valve cover off today(PITA)and i checked the valves and could not see a timing mark to line up down low where you take the plugs out so i just lined up the two marks on the cams thinking that this would work also....well the intake were all .1 to tight and the exhaust were more than .1 to tight because i couldnt even start to fit a .18....did i have it completely at TDC???and any tricks to getting the valve cover back on would be great:worthy:

• rufusz

Posted September 23, 2009 - 12:28 AM

removing the upper motor mount does wonders :busted: (although you didn't specify what bike you have, but on my 426 it does).
Also (on my 426) you have to remove the upper plug to see the marks. If, for some reason, your marks are gone you can still get it to TDC by removing the spark plug and using a screwdriver as a feeler. Move the crank forth and back until you feel the piston being at the highest spot. That's the TDC. Now look again if you see the marks on the crank in the plug hole.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thatraptorguy

Posted September 23, 2009 - 03:17 AM

sorry i have a 07 wr450......and i did remove the top plug to i just couldnt see any mark at all even with a flash light on it

• rdefonce

Posted September 23, 2009 - 08:44 AM

sorry i have a 07 wr450......and i did remove the top plug to i just couldnt see any mark at all even with a flash light on it

Do you have a manual? hope so, since the manual does a good job at explaining exactly what to do, where the marks are, etc.

• thatraptorguy

Posted September 23, 2009 - 05:05 PM

Do you have a manual? hope so, since the manual does a good job at explaining exactly what to do, where the marks are, etc.

yes i kno its not my first time around the block with motors.....i do all my own stuff and am just used to working on a raptor.....holy cow its hard to even tell if the feeler gauge is going through to tight or not with the angle you got to get on em

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.