Strange readings on coolant level

8 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted September 22, 2009 - 03:33 PM

Here lately I have been having to add around 6 or 8 ounces of coolant (engine ice) to my 06 450F.

It started about 4 weeks ago cause I check my coolant level before each race. I first noticed it a month ago and had to add about a cup.

A week later after another race had to add about 6 ounces. Checked it today after I raced this past sunday and the level was correct (just under the overflow hole).

I started it up and let it Idel for about 3 or four minutes and waited a few minutes and checked it again and the level fell just above the fin holes and I added about 6 ounces.

What could be the problem to where the coolant is going? It is not leaking from the pump houseing or at the drain bolt, its like it is evaporating.

• grayracer513

Posted September 22, 2009 - 03:46 PM

My son's '06 did that for a while, and we finally figured out it was the water leaking because of bad balancer bearings:

http://www.thumperta...956#post8131956

• CaptainKnobby

Posted September 22, 2009 - 03:53 PM

Ok I will check that after this weekends race but where is the coolant going?

I never see a wet spot in the floor on the stand.

• grayracer513

Posted September 22, 2009 - 07:37 PM

If the balancer bearing is the root cause, it will only leak while it runs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted September 24, 2009 - 01:32 PM

If the balancer bearing is the root cause, it will only leak while it runs.

Where on a parts finch is the balancer bearing located? On the water pump, crank case cover 1, or maybe like cylinder.

• grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2009 - 02:43 PM

Crankshaft.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted September 24, 2009 - 05:03 PM

Is the balancer bearings you are refering to.........the two bearings that go on the part called "SHAFT 1". They are numbered as #10 on the parts list and th shaft 1 is numbered #9.

If this is correct they only cost $35.00 for both. I guess they may have been $90.00 a pieace from Yamaha in 2006.

I will look futher at the bike tomorrow since I'm off from work and have time.

BTW if it is these bearings that failed that is causeing the coolant to leak, is the coolant going into the bottomend around the crank?

• grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2009 - 05:33 PM

Is the balancer bearings you are refering to.........the two bearings that go on the part called "SHAFT 1". They are numbered as #10 on the parts list and th shaft 1 is numbered #9.

If this is correct they only cost $35.00 for both. I guess they may have been $90.00 a pieace from Yamaha in 2006.

I will look futher at the bike tomorrow since I'm off from work and have time.

BTW if it is these bearings that failed that is causeing the coolant to leak, is the coolant going into the bottomend around the crank?

#10 BEARING 93305-20301-00 $78.58 each from TT OEM

No, they won't cause coolant into the bottom end.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted October 24, 2009 - 04:45 PM

Two days ago I was cleaning the bike up and getting it all winterized and put up. I was letting the bike warm up so I could change the oil and got it up to temp, when I noticed a little antifreeze drip from the bottom of the right rad.

Up on futher inspection I seen it was coming from the top and then noticed it was a clamp loose on the short hose inbetween the two rads.

This was where my antifreeze was going. I forgot to tighten it when I had the motor off when I put a time-sert in the drain plug hole at the bottom.

I'm sure glad now it was not that shaft bearing in the water pump.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.