Throttle Cable Replacement (just cables, not whole assembly)

6 replies to this topic
  • xnofriendsx

Posted September 22, 2009 - 10:20 AM

I have a 2002 YZ426. I noticed my cables are bad, but i just want to replace both of the throttle cables. My local dealer says they only sell the whole assembly which is like $56.
Can i buy just the cables? I heard Motion Pro sells them.
Any suggestions?

• cowboyona426

Posted September 22, 2009 - 10:23 AM

Tons of places sell just the cables, as does OEM. Your dealer must have hit his head before you asked him that question.

• DPW

Posted September 22, 2009 - 10:31 AM

http://shop.thumpertalk.com

THROTTLE CABLE ASSY
5SF-26302-00-00 $47.71

or

http://www.motionpro...YZ_426F/Cables/

http://www.motionpro...partno/05-0238/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xnofriendsx

Posted September 23, 2009 - 06:40 AM

Tons of places sell just the cables, as does OEM. Your dealer must have hit his head before you asked him that question.

I ended up getting the $30 Motion Pro cable assembly. Nowhere that i have checked sells the inside cables only (not housing and assembly). But i have a race this Sunday, so no messing around, i had to get something.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 23, 2009 - 06:54 AM

I ended up getting the $30 Motion Pro cable assembly. Nowhere that i have checked sells the inside cables only (not housing and assembly). But i have a race this Sunday, so no messing around, i had to get something.

Nobody sells just the inner cable. A bicycle shop might be able to rig something up for you though.

• grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2009 - 07:03 AM

No one has sold basic cable inners separately for years that I know of. You realize that such cables require one to cut and fit them to the correct length, and solder one ferule or the other onto them. We used to do this all the time back in the day, but it's a basically lost practice these days. Fear of lawsuits and the disappearance of the true mechanic are probably what's behind that. Your only hope of finding such things is apt to be a shop that builds custom bikes.

The downside of replacing the inner wire only is that you reuse the housing, which is extremely important to the proper operation of the cable, and the modern ones are the reason cables last so long with so little maintenance these days. Normally, if the cable has been run long enough to wear out the inner, the housing needs to be replaced, too.

• xnofriendsx

Posted September 23, 2009 - 07:35 AM

No one has sold basic cable inners separately for years that I know of. You realize that such cables require one to cut and fit them to the correct length, and solder one ferule or the other onto them. We used to do this all the time back in the day, but it's a basically lost practice these days. Fear of lawsuits and the disappearance of the true mechanic are probably what's behind that. Your only hope of finding such things is apt to be a shop that builds custom bikes.

The downside of replacing the inner wire only is that you reuse the housing, which is extremely important to the proper operation of the cable, and the modern ones are the reason cables last so long with so little maintenance these days. Normally, if the cable has been run long enough to wear out the inner, the housing needs to be replaced, too.

Yeah, after i wrote that and actually thought about the ferule. I ride mountain bikes a lot as well and was thinking more on those lines. I am still running my 2002 cables, so it was indeed time to replace it all. I just saw the OEM's for $60 and thought that was crazy, but $30 for the MP's are fine.

Thanks for the input.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.