426 clutch lever is difficult to pull

8 replies to this topic
  • ioan_vapi

Posted September 22, 2009 - 07:33 AM

Hi,

My problem is that I have to use much more force to pull my clutch lever than other 426 bikes. I cleaned the clutch cable and lubricate it but nothing changed. I assume the problem is inside the engine.
Please, any idea or suggestions ?!

Thanks in advance.

• JJRace

Posted September 22, 2009 - 08:11 AM

start by replacing the cable. Also check the routing of it.

To reduce the pull, you can use a later model clutch arm off a 450, comes in the GYTR clutch kit and use a lever like the ASV models with perch since they use a reduced ratio on them much like the CRs.

• ioan_vapi

Posted September 22, 2009 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I removed the cable, cleaned it, checked the routing, lubricate it. Also, I checked its free play, I mean, I manually moved the cable inside the tube. From this perspective, cable seems to be ok.
Since I bought this bike as a second hand I don't know what the previous owners did. I still suspect something wrong/worn out in the clutch. Could it be a spring or the plates?
I've looked after a GYT-R clutch kit and I saw it has only plates and actuator arm but no lever like ASV. Is ASV F1 lever ok to reduce the pull strength?

Thanks.

• ioan_vapi

Posted September 23, 2009 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I removed the cable, cleaned it, checked the routing, lubricate it. Also, I checked its free play, I mean, I manually moved the cable inside the tube. From this perspective, cable seems to be ok.
Since I bought this bike as a second hand I don't know what the previous owners did. I still suspect something wrong/worn out in the clutch. Could it be a spring or the plates?
I've looked after a GYT-R clutch kit and I saw it has only plates and actuator arm but no lever like ASV. Is ASV F1 lever ok to reduce the pull strength?

Thanks.

Any other advice ?!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Civilguy

Posted September 24, 2009 - 11:01 AM

there is a bearing that the clutch arm sits in inside the cases. You may need to replace it. My old kx250 had the same issue and after replacing the clutch, clutch basket, springs, cable and clutch perch - it turned out the bearing was shot.

• keegan1014

Posted September 24, 2009 - 04:35 PM

Ive not pulled my clutch for months its great
Rekluse is the best

• gem

Posted September 27, 2009 - 08:15 AM

I remember following a tip/trick that I read about on here that had you drill a new hole for the ball end of the cable in your lever, it worked and was free!

• rufusz

Posted September 28, 2009 - 12:24 AM

I've also had difficulties with the clutch pull. I've drilled another hole in the lever, but after mounting an ASV lever it's more easier :busted: I have one for sale in your (our) country. Check your PM :banana:

• ioan_vapi

Posted October 01, 2009 - 02:06 AM

THIS is the post which has some solutions to this problem.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.