Flat Track

Old, slow guy might build a bike

2 replies to this topic
  • willierides

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:51 AM

I went to my first flat track race and loved it. Looks like sooo much fun...why didn't I see this when I was younger???

Anyway, I'm thinking of just trying it next season. I want to be in the slowest class out there. I am unsure what class that'll be, but there were some slower guys out there that I could've just gone out right now and not been lapped and may have been able to hang with.

My best option from a financial stand point is to convert my CR250 two stroke. I have a few guys that I know that have been around the track a few times that will help me get started, but I'm not sure if I might be better off trying to build something vintage to get into a slow class. Being from a MX background I know what classes to avoid (for instance, you'd think the "C" class would be safe, but it's not. That's where all the crazy kids are....an old guy might get killed out there, ha ha), but I don't have a clue about flat track. I'm going to try and get to one more race this year and pay more attention to what the classes look like. But winter will be my build time, so I can't wait to figure it out next year.

Any advice out there? I'm in upstate NY, so Square Deal Riders, maybe Electric City....those are the tracks I'll be looking at. I'm sure there are others that I don't even know about yet.

Thanks for any ideas.

• slideleft

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:57 PM

i ride e.c at kelly station rd. run the 100 class !! or sr.b whatever you do,you will have fun !! and dont overlook vintage, we ride like we will be at work monday am. see you at the track !!!!!

• willierides

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

i ride e.c at kelly station rd. run the 100 class !! or sr.b whatever you do,you will have fun !! and dont overlook vintage, we ride like we will be at work monday am. see you at the track !!!!!

Cool. What number/bike? I'm hoping to get up to the race on 10/4 as a spectator. If I do, I'll stop by and say "hi" in the pits.

100 class? I have a CR250 that I can convert, but the vintage stuff is sooooo cool! I am not sure which way to go...whichever gets me into the best class for a total newb. Actually, a friend of mine and I were riding my MX track tonight and I'm trying to figure out a way to put a practice flat track out there, too! I can't imagine not being able to get SOME practice before trying to race.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.