09 YZ450 deal of a lifetime?

48 replies to this topic
  • nephic

Posted September 25, 2009 - 07:12 AM

You know, I thought that I had my mind made up but my friend, a dealer in Sheridan Wyoming, is making it hard for me. $5,300 on a 2009, mid 7's on a 2010 after the begining of the year. I'm having my knee scoped on the 14th, so depending on what they find, cut out, or sew up, I could be riding again in few weeks, or I might not get to ride unless I want to go visit Mr. Gray. Regardless, isn't this fun. It's absoloutely like being a kid at christmas!

• llamaface

Posted September 25, 2009 - 08:45 AM

Nice try. What does any of that have to do with any Yamaha?

I think what he's saying is that there is a tendency for magazines to go all googoo hyping up every new bike, including the 2010 yz450f. It may be as good as they say, or they may all change their minds in 6 months like they did with the crf.

The 09 bike is a pretty know quantity, and at a killer price. Heck, I might even get one if the price goes a little lower this winter.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 25, 2009 - 11:14 AM

Sounds like now is the time to buy the older leftover yamaha's.
And the smokin deals may get better and better.
Most dealers have a few left over and have to take more of them to get the new 2010.
A smart dealer would get them OTD, they don't break unless they are being ridden.
And The real money is in parts and service.

• YamaLink

Posted September 25, 2009 - 01:14 PM

The 09 is a very good deal and there should be plenty taking up space on showroom floors. Many were waiting for the 2010 on pure speculation; and the 09 didn't have FI, obviously so many who believed the magazine hype or felt the need to have the latest/greatest to do battle midpack in the Vet C class went to other brands if they were previously a Yamaha guy/girl.

• shrubitup

Posted September 25, 2009 - 01:35 PM

Keep your YZ250 two smoke. Four strokes are hard and expensive to maintain. :banana: :thumbsup: :banana: :banana:

But seriously, I have my eyes on a leftover '08 or '09 YZ450F too. Just can't decide between it and a bona-fide trials bike. I'll prolly get the trials bike because it is something vastly different. :busted:

• DT360

Posted September 26, 2009 - 08:02 AM

Brought the 09 home in the truck yesterday. $5300 out the door, and 12month no interest financing. I'll have it paid off in 6 or 7 months, and I'm using their money. I'm happy.
Still can't believe how much machine I just bought for that price. I really do think it will make a great woods/trail bike. Trails up North here are often wide open mining access paths (a lot like powerline riding) which go for miles over mountain after mountain. This bike will dominate that terrain.
Raining hard and muddy, so I'll take the ping weapon today, but can't wait to wrench on the aftermarket goods and see what this thumper will do. Just hoping the snow holds off for a few more weeks.
Thanks again, as always, for the input.

• saccityfire

Posted September 26, 2009 - 03:11 PM

My 09' was 6100 OTD in May and I would not take the $800 to have not ridden it all summer!!

I do wish I had checked OTD Cyclesports in Auburn Ca though as they had it for 5599 OTD in May

You'll love it DT360.

• shrubitup

Posted September 28, 2009 - 07:34 AM

Woot! :busted:

Be interesting to hear your comparisons between these fine scoots. :banana:

• haydug

Posted September 28, 2009 - 05:37 PM

My 09 blue was $5200 + tax and I can say I am very, very please with this bike so far. Do I think the new bike is $2500 better? NO. Maybe if I were James Stewart I would feel the new bike would be of benefit, but I am 100% happy with my purchase.

• ejensen

Posted November 19, 2009 - 05:39 PM

I've heard of dealers selling for under $4,000 now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted November 19, 2009 - 05:44 PM

Wonder if they're doing a write off/loss on the 09 so they can get Yamaha to ship the 2010; factory told dealers "no new bikes/minimal shipment of new bikes until you clear the floor of 08 and 09."

I've heard of dealers selling for under $4,000 now.

• RideAgainstTheMachine

Posted November 19, 2009 - 10:08 PM

i seen an 07 the other day for 6500$ plus pdi frieght tax etc, they must be dreaming

• osheen

Posted November 20, 2009 - 10:01 AM

The 08-09 YZ450F is one of the best all-around bikes ever made. It is so refined. You can just buy it and ride it. Sure it may not be the flashiest thing out there but it gets the job done. Reliable, best suspension, neutral handling, easy to work on, smooth easy-to-ride power. Those highly competitive Vet C riders that think they need more power (to wear themselves out faster) can simply throw on a pipe to make it have the low-mid power that it gets blasted for not having.

The money saved can be used for buying a nice enclosed trailer to put it in.

A YZ450F for $5,000 (or less) IS the deal of a lifetime!!

• viggen

Posted November 20, 2009 - 08:25 PM

my deal of a lifetime was my new 09 buell 1125cr for $6K otd!

Anyways, how do the 06 450f's compare to the newer ones? I stopped by a local dealership last week & they have a new 06 yz450f for $3900 & looking at used prices I might be able to trade my 400f in & possibly get it for $3K. Is that to high &/or would I be better off finding a 08/9 450f?

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2009 - 08:45 PM

Realistically, or maybe let's just say, two weeks ago, $3900 for a brand new '06 would have been a great deal, but these days, who knows? $3K certainly is. The '06 is a great bike the good broad power, good suspension, and decent handling. The '08+ is more refined, handles a little better, but needs a pipe to perform well because the OEM shorty muffler kills the low/mid range. The newer bike would probably a better choice, but still....

• hillclimbguy

Posted November 20, 2009 - 09:18 PM

Realistically, or maybe let's just say, two weeks ago, $3900 for a brand new '06 would have been a great deal, but these days, who knows? $3K certainly is. The '06 is a great bike the good broad power, good suspension, and decent handling. The '08+ is more refined, handles a little better, but needs a pipe to perform well because the OEM shorty muffler kills the low/mid range. The newer bike would probably a better choice, but still....

But still is right. I like my 06. I also like having money in the bank in these times. You got it Gray, For now my 06 does everything I need for it to do.:excuseme:

• twenty34

Posted November 20, 2009 - 09:25 PM

And, not to forget, GL one a championship on one of those "older" YZ's. Watching him come from behind to pass his competition was pure joy to watch. All goes to show, and as Lance put it - " It's Not About The Bike"...

Posted Image

• viggen

Posted November 21, 2009 - 06:49 AM

thanks...... i think i will stop by this week and see what they can do on the oooooosix. definantly going to be lightyears ahead of my 400f in every aspect. to old to deal with my 400f not wanting to start so that's my biggest reason fo wanting something newer. thanks again!

• salasmauricio

Posted November 21, 2009 - 04:14 PM

Multiple opportunities here in Alaska to purchase the white 09 YZ 450 for $5200. Seems to me to be the best deal in dirtbike history. Can the 2010 be $3000 nicer than the 09????? I'm thinking not.

Anyone have a reason for me not to buy an 09 for off-road riding at these prices??

Unless someone chimes in with something I haven't thought of, I'm buying one tomorrow. Crazy, because I love the 08YZ250 two stroke I'm presently riding.
I just can't bring myself to pass up this deal.
When I think of how much bike I'm getting for $5K, it's almost ridiculous. That, and at that price, I believe it will always be worth what I owe on it.

Agree, or no????

Thanks, as always, for the input.

I'd buy two... just for fun, over here a 2009 is about USD 13000

• Wes Woodin

Posted November 27, 2009 - 07:55 PM

You can put $3,000 into he 09 and I'll bet it wont handle like the stock 2010.

You can put 3K in the motor and blow the 2010 away:smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.