450 engine wear and tear

4 replies to this topic
  • Civilguy

Posted September 21, 2009 - 12:30 PM

why is there such an issue with the timing chains in the new 450's? my old 400 has a ton of hours and has no issues with valve clearances and timing chain stretch. same with my buddies 2001 426.

i know the new 450s make more power, but most riders who encounter issues are not at the pro level - so what gives?

is there a model year where the issues really started acting up?

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2009 - 01:49 PM

Some '06's and up through the early '08's had some excess trouble with this. It has nothing to do with power, as the cam chain is never exposed to the engine output. My guess is a vendor change for the chain. The ones that have failed in late models have almost all had kinking, binding links.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • E30Racer

Posted September 21, 2009 - 03:17 PM

Have there been any issues with kinking or binding with OEM Yamaha replacement timing chains?

I just replaced the original timing chain on my '04 and checked every link and the chain (and tensioner) I took off was in perfect condition. It would be disappointing to know I put inferior parts on it...

Steven

• Civilguy

Posted September 21, 2009 - 04:58 PM

grey meant that the vendor making the timing chain for yamaha.

technically, the chain experiances stress through acceleration forces within the engine. if the engine has more hp and accelerates faster through the power curve then the timing chain has more stress on it.

either way, i got the answer i was looking for - thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2009 - 07:04 PM

technically, the chain experiances stress through acceleration forces within the engine. if the engine has more hp and accelerates faster through the power curve then the timing chain has more stress on it.

Only in the most indirect manner, if at all. Following that logic, engines that spend more time in lower gears would place the timing chain under more stress, and the worst thing that could happen would be to rev the engine in neutral.

The cam chain experiences only the speed the engine operates at, and the load of rotating or accelerating the cams at that speed. Lubrication problems might also be behind this problem, if for some reason the Gen2 engines get less oil on the chain.

But I'll tell you this, the chains in both mine were in near perfect condition when I replaced them. :busted:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.