Ebatt install and airbox modification

30 replies to this topic
  • tribalbc

Posted September 21, 2009 - 11:58 AM

Well I got my new Ebatt 12oz lithium battery this weekend. It's very compact which allowed me to open up the airbox more. Results were pretty impressive. By opening up the airbox the bike has noticably more mid range through the top end. Definately added over rev. I just took it for a short rip in my neighborhood and the front end was lofting much easier, really good throttle response.
The battery weighs a wopping 12oz so I've now lost 5lbs of battery weight. Bike fires right up with estart warm. Maybe a little less crank than my old Nicad Ebatt :busted:

Here's some pics

3 generations of WR battery's, stock, Nicad Ebatt, Lithium

Posted Image

Airbox cutout

Posted Image

battery installed. I used the Zip ty's and some foam so the zip's don't cut threw the battery package. It comes with velcro to mount but that would mean laying it flat and not being able to cut out the airbox.

Posted Image

Done

Posted Image

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 21, 2009 - 12:29 PM

3 generations of WR battery's, stock, Nicad Ebatt, Lithium

Umm just guessing that they are not in that order in the picture? :busted:

Nice mod though, no worries about water? Just curious, I do not have a WR (YET) and I don't know where the batteries are located(abviously its under the seat :thumbsup:)/how shielded they are.

• tribalbc

Posted September 21, 2009 - 03:37 PM

Umm just guessing that they are not in that order in the picture? :busted:

Nice mod though, no worries about water? Just curious, I do not have a WR (YET) and I don't know where the batteries are located(abviously its under the seat :banana:)/how shielded they are.

Yeah the batteries are in reverse order :thumbsup:

The battery is in the stock location, just taking up much less space.
They're pretty protected from water unless you drown the bike.
I also stuff the top of my airbox with course foam to keep sticks, pine needles and some dust out of the airbox.I forgot to take the last photo showing this.

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 21, 2009 - 04:22 PM

Yeah the batteries are in reverse order :busted:

The battery is in the stock location, just taking up much less space.
They're pretty protected from water unless you drown the bike.
I also stuff the top of my airbox with course foam to keep sticks, pine needles and some dust out of the airbox.I forgot to take the last photo showing this.

Thats another thing I was wondering, dust getting in. How much was the smaller battery?

• tribalbc

Posted September 21, 2009 - 04:29 PM

Thats another thing I was wondering, dust getting in. How much was the smaller battery?

Right now it was only $80US + $10 shipping to my door. I think they're normally over $100, there's a sale on now.

http://ebattonline.com/

• Parx_400

Posted September 21, 2009 - 05:24 PM

That thing is very small. Why not put it behind the front light. Then you could open up the whole top of the air box.

• tribalbc

Posted September 21, 2009 - 06:13 PM

That thing is very small. Why not put it behind the front light. Then you could open up the whole top of the air box.

There wouldn't be room behind with the Odo and all the wiring harness's. Besides it would be a long + cable to the battery. Could get alot of drop in the line.
The airbox is almost open right to the base of the filter on the top now.

• mikeythefokker

Posted September 21, 2009 - 06:47 PM

Hey tribal, I am going to be ordering one of these things next week, but in the mean time, how did the weight loss feel when riding the bike? Is it noticeable at all?

• panaman

Posted September 22, 2009 - 05:09 AM

how well does it crank the bike over after its been sitting for a week

• tribalbc

Posted September 22, 2009 - 06:01 AM

Hey tribal, I am going to be ordering one of these things next week, but in the mean time, how did the weight loss feel when riding the bike? Is it noticeable at all?

It's high top heavy weight so IMO you can notice quite a difference in handling.
It's been a long time since I've ridden a stock WR though. I would like to ride them back to back to feel the difference. I've gone for quite the Jenny Craig program on this bike. I was adding it all up last night and I've lost somewhere between 18 and 19lbs on this bike. But I've probably added 5 as well with rad guards, skid plate, handguards.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted September 22, 2009 - 06:06 AM

how well does it crank the bike over after its been sitting for a week

Can't say on this one as I've only just installed it a couple days ago. My old Nicad Ebatt though held it's charge alot better than the stocker.
I always kick start my bike when it's cold though. I only use the estart when the bikes already warm. Stock or otherwise battery, the starter doesn't turn over fast enough cold IMO.
Why sit there spinning over the starter when it will start in one or two kicks.
Different story when you're sweating in some mud hole though :busted:

• HwyChile

Posted September 22, 2009 - 06:25 AM

Very good information. Thanks. I may get one myself. What do I do with my old (new) battery? My bike is new.

• HwyChile

Posted September 22, 2009 - 06:27 AM

By the way, could you list all the things that you did to lighten your bike?

• HwyChile

Posted September 22, 2009 - 06:30 AM

My old Nicad Ebatt though held it's charge alot better than the stocker.

Sorry for so many comments and questions, but how long did the old Ebatt last for you? Thanks

• panaman

Posted September 22, 2009 - 06:38 AM

i've had my bike for over a month and still haven't used the kick starter :-)

• tribalbc

Posted September 22, 2009 - 06:56 AM

Very good information. Thanks. I may get one myself. What do I do with my old (new) battery? My bike is new.

Sell it, keep it as a spare :busted:

As you can see I've still got my old one around, I used it fora year.

• tribalbc

Posted September 22, 2009 - 07:03 AM

By the way, could you list all the things that you did to lighten your bike?

Battery 5lbs
08 YZ exhaust 2.5lbs
Kickstand removal and replace peg mount YZ 2.5lbs
AIS removal 1.5lbs
YZ Ti shock spring if your sag #'s work for you 3.5-4lbs
Rear sprocket aluminum or ironman 2.5lbs
Ti footpegs could be spendy but I scored a deal .5lbs
Eibach fork springs needed to go up a rate on forks anyways and GYTR front brake hose clamp .5lbs

• tribalbc

Posted September 22, 2009 - 07:04 AM

Sorry for so many comments and questions, but how long did the old Ebatt last for you? Thanks

2 years racing and riding 3-4 days a week.
In Canada so April-December with a few days in the winter.

• HwyChile

Posted September 22, 2009 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for all the information. Did you consider just cutting the battery box completely out of the frame? Doesn't the YZ not have a batter box and the whole top of the air box is gone?

• tribalbc

Posted September 22, 2009 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for all the information. Did you consider just cutting the battery box completely out of the frame? Doesn't the YZ not have a batter box and the whole top of the air box is gone?

The YZ airbox you have to remove the seat to clean the filter and it probably wouldn't fit with the WR,there are quite a few differences here. I thought about cutting out a section of the battery mount. But it's aluminum so not that heavy, and welded to the frame. This makes it a bit of an unreversable mod if I sold my bike in the future and someone wanted to go back to the stock battery. Or if my battery cacked and I had to go to something larger.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.