Jetting help needed

4 replies to this topic
  • 2in2out

Posted September 21, 2009 - 11:15 AM

I need help guys!! I'm an idiot when it comes to carbs, and after much fear and anxiety, I had to open up my carb for adjustment after and exhaust mod, and I need some help.

Here's what I have:

Year: 2002
Model (400 - 426 - 450): 426
Cam Timing (WR/YZ): WR
Main jet: 168
Pilot Jet: 42
PAJ: 75
MAJ: 200
Leak Jet: N/A
Starter Jet: 65
Fuel screw (turns out): White Bros. 2 out (set to original)
Needle Model/Clip position: Stock needle, was in clip 4, tried 3 w/o success
Grey Wire Mod (Y/N): Y
TPS Connected (Y/N): Y
Airbox Snorkel/Lid (on or off): Lid off
AIS Removed (Y/N): N/A
Airfilter Brand: NoToil
Exhaust Brand: Jardine RT4 w/Jardine mid-pipe, FMF Powerbomb SS Header (This was the recent change stimulating this)
Average Altitude: 3500-7000 MSL
Average Temperature: 70
Average Humidity: 7-18%
Degree of Satisfaction (0-10): 8
Additional Mods/Comments:

Prior to addition of Powerbomb header, only symptom at all was intermittent off-idle bog when hot. Otherwise flawless.

Installed Powerbomb header and warm idle at 4000, will not back off with throttle whack. Raise Needle clip to #3, and now bogs at throttle whack, changed to clip #5, no bog, no change in idle.

Help please. :busted: I've read every jetting post since I've joined to try to gain an ounce of an idea, and I can't figure this out, and I need it done soon as I'm trying to sell the bike. Hopefully getting a 2005 WR450 today.

Should I go with a larger PJ? The MJ was fine prior to the change, and I haven't been able to ride yet to test if I need change.

• mongial

Posted September 21, 2009 - 01:29 PM

Just curious, have you played with the idle screw? I wouldn't think that the power bomb header would make a huge difference in jetting. Sounds like the idle circuit to me (but I am also still confused on the 4 stroke stuff....just started to figure the 2t stuff out when I hopped on the bandwagon.)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2in2out

Posted September 21, 2009 - 02:16 PM

Idle screw is fine. Actually I usually have it all the way in, or a 1/4 turn out. Only needed to change it when I got above 6000 ft. elevation.

• William1

Posted September 21, 2009 - 02:35 PM

If you ride with the fuel screw all the way in, your pilot is too big.

Normally, a Hanging idle is one of a few things
1)Too small a pilot or lean due to a stuck Hot Start - Check the hot start, it is not the pilot.
2)Slide release plate in upside down or broken - You can pop the carb off the engine and look in and see easy enough
3)Damaged throttle cable/kinked
4)Blue wire disconnected and idle speed a tad high.

These are 99% of the causes.

• 2in2out

Posted September 21, 2009 - 04:34 PM

Changed to a 40 PJ. Fixed now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.