Oil change frequency ?

26 replies to this topic
  • milk

Posted October 13, 2009 - 10:00 AM

I'm not concerned about my lawnmower, barbecue, or dirt bike, but neither do I pile garbage in my living room, crap in my garden, or dump oil on the ground

and that about sums that up :bonk:

ok, yamminewb question... when i just want to change my oil(426), not the filter or anything, do i just need to drain from the bottom bolt under the skid plate or do i need to drain from the upper drain bolt as well? i would assume just the bottom most bolt but i've assumed wrongly before :bonk:

• 642MX

Posted October 13, 2009 - 10:12 AM

ok, yamminewb question... when i just want to change my oil(426), not the filter or anything, do i just need to drain from the bottom bolt under the skid plate or do i need to drain from the upper drain bolt as well? i would assume just the bottom most bolt but i've assumed wrongly before :bonk:

You'll want to drain the frame bolt first and then the case bolt second. If you get a SS filter, it takes another 5 minutes to remove, clean and re-install. Dump 1.5 quarts in and ride. :bonk:

To check the oil: Start the bike, let it idle for 2 minutes, shut the engine off, let it sit for 1 minute and then check it. Oil level isn't that critical on these bikes, just make sure its in the marks somewhere on the stick.

• Birdy426

Posted October 13, 2009 - 11:25 AM

On multi-day rides (more than 500 miles or whatever interval you feel comfortable with), carry a 1 gal zip lock bag. Drain the oil into the bag (let the bike cool off first), then transfer into the bottles that the new oil came in and dispose of an a wally world or auto parts store along the route.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • milk

Posted October 13, 2009 - 12:23 PM

You'll want to drain the frame bolt first and then the case bolt second. If you get a SS filter, it takes another 5 minutes to remove, clean and re-install. Dump 1.5 quarts in and ride. :bonk:

To check the oil: Start the bike, let it idle for 2 minutes, shut the engine off, let it sit for 1 minute and then check it. Oil level isn't that critical on these bikes, just make sure its in the marks somewhere on the stick.

so how big of a problem is it to not clean the mesh pre filter thing? when i just changed my oil and filter and everything last(which was the first time since i got it and god only knows when it was changed before that) but the mesh pre filter thing was virtually spottless while my oil filter itself had a little bit of metal particles(tiny pieces that are probably normal wear).

if that's something you only have to worry about checkin periodically then yeah i agree checking the oil filter itself and cleaning it every oil change wouldn't be so much of a pain. taking off the skid plate, the clamp the hose etc etc... then of course me being ocd i have to clean everything as i'm doing it (which yeah isn't always a bad thing unless you would like to ride sometime this year) takes even longer...

but anyway(did i mention ADD too oi) if that's the case i'll definitely be looking into a ss filter and clean it every oil change :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted October 13, 2009 - 02:43 PM

so how big of a problem is it to not clean the mesh pre filter thing?

The screen in the frame is analogous to the pickup screen in a wet sump engine. How often would you clean that?

If you bought the bike used, it's a good idea to check it once. If anything bad happens, you should check it then, also.

• 642MX

Posted October 13, 2009 - 05:31 PM

so how big of a problem is it to not clean the mesh pre filter thing? when i just changed my oil and filter and everything last(which was the first time since i got it and god only knows when it was changed before that) but the mesh pre filter thing was virtually spottless while my oil filter itself had a little bit of metal particles(tiny pieces that are probably normal wear).

Like Grayracer said, it doesn't need cleaned very often. I cleaned mine once when I bought the bike and once when I replaced the bottom end. It only needs cleaned if something bad happens in the motor.

• milk

Posted October 14, 2009 - 07:12 AM

cool thanks guys, yeah like i said i did have everything apart and gave everything a good going over including that screen which like i also said had nothing in/on it. so i guess i'll be getting a ss screen :bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.