Oil change frequency ?

26 replies to this topic
  • stealman

Posted September 21, 2009 - 06:31 AM

I was reading on here about how much you guys recommend oil changes. Sounds like 3-10 hrs?
Well I have been considering buying a yz450 to use as a adventure bike to do multiple day rides on dirt roads and single track. I could see doing 3 or 4 days of ridding with around 8 hrs a day of ride time. So maybe around 32 hrs or so between changes. Will this kill this engine? I would not be ridding the bike anywhere near its potential.
I know this is not really the bike for this, but I want a really light bike for the single track stuff. I have a yz250 now and love it, but the 2 stroke is not much fun on long open fast roads.
I was thinking about people doing Baja 1000 and Vegas to Reno race. Are peoples engines toast after something like that? Also, How do people pull off ridding these bikes around on the street as a supermoto? It seems like the miles and hrs would add up way to fast to stay on oil changes.
If the engine is not in the upper rpm,s much will that have a big effect on how long I could go between oil changes without abusing the engine?

• WGP

Posted September 21, 2009 - 10:05 AM

Use a really good oil and you will be fine.......

Usually the oil gets dirty from alot of clutch action...so if your cruising and not clutching it up waterfalls it should be fine for a long time.

• jrny426

Posted September 21, 2009 - 12:28 PM

I trail ride about 3 to 4 hrs per day and change the oil after 4 rides some would say thats not enough but like you I do not run wide open for extended periods however the engine gets pretty warm and lots of clutch action on the tight stuff,no problems so far.

• ja-mudder

Posted September 23, 2009 - 07:22 PM

Id say WGP is 100% on it

• atomic410

Posted October 12, 2009 - 09:53 AM

so how ofter do you change the filter? Every change? I just got an 06 yz450f with no manual. I've been changing the oil every ride (2-3hrs or so) but haven't changed the filter. I planed on changing the filter every 15-20 hs. is this not enough?

• 642MX

Posted October 12, 2009 - 10:38 AM

so how ofter do you change the filter? Every change? I just got an 06 yz450f with no manual. I've been changing the oil every ride (2-3hrs or so) but haven't changed the filter. I planed on changing the filter every 15-20 hs. is this not enough?

Get a reusable filter and clean it every change. :bonk:

• 642MX

Posted October 12, 2009 - 10:40 AM

I was reading on here about how much you guys recommend oil changes. Sounds like 3-10 hrs?
Well I have been considering buying a yz450 to use as a adventure bike to do multiple day rides on dirt roads and single track. I could see doing 3 or 4 days of ridding with around 8 hrs a day of ride time. So maybe around 32 hrs or so between changes. Will this kill this engine? I would not be ridding the bike anywhere near its potential.
I know this is not really the bike for this, but I want a really light bike for the single track stuff. I have a yz250 now and love it, but the 2 stroke is not much fun on long open fast roads.
I was thinking about people doing Baja 1000 and Vegas to Reno race. Are peoples engines toast after something like that? Also, How do people pull off ridding these bikes around on the street as a supermoto? It seems like the miles and hrs would add up way to fast to stay on oil changes.
If the engine is not in the upper rpm,s much will that have a big effect on how long I could go between oil changes without abusing the engine?

IMO, 32 hours is waaaay too long on oil. 10 hours max.

• thmperpower450

Posted October 12, 2009 - 04:16 PM

I change my oil and clean the filter every 10 hrs, Its better to be safe than sorry.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 12, 2009 - 06:40 PM

why dont you change the oil after two days of riding? you can bring oil with you if you go on a trip. doesnt take too long to change. 15mins give or take unless you get a srtipped out bolt or something

• grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2009 - 07:33 PM

why dont you change the oil after two days of riding? you can bring oil with you if you go on a trip. doesnt take too long to change. 15mins give or take unless you get a srtipped out bolt or something

What do you propose to do with the old oil, pray tell? :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 12, 2009 - 07:46 PM

idk? what do you do with your old oil usally? find a good place to dump it. i usally just pour my oil in a old mulch pit. it came from the earth and then it is put back in the earth. are there laws agaist this or something? are they going to arrest you out in the boon docks for drainig your oil into the dirt?:bonk:

• thmperpower450

Posted October 12, 2009 - 07:48 PM

Wal-mart sells a cool drip pan/oil bucket thats sealable.

• grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2009 - 08:32 PM

Wal-mart sells a cool drip pan/oil bucket thats sealable.

Yes, and there are several other good solutions, too, but I doubt he wants to carry any of it with him on his multi-day ride.

idk? what do you do with your old oil usally? find a good place to dump it. i usally just pour my oil in a old mulch pit. it came from the earth and then it is put back in the earth. are there laws agaist this or something? are they going to arrest you out in the boon docks for drainig your oil into the dirt?:bonk:

I take mine to a an auto parts store that has a used oil sump. Pouring it on the ground is about what I expected to hear. Your oil did come from the Earth, but many of the toxins formed in it during your use of it did not, and by dumping it indiscriminately on the ground, it's as likely to end up in the ground water as anywhere else.

Yes, in fact, there are laws against it in most places, and yes, you could be arrested for the offense in many jurisdictions. Common sense should really be all that's necessary to understand that it's shortsighted and just plain wrong.

• milk

Posted October 12, 2009 - 08:38 PM

I take mine to a an auto parts store that has a used oil sump. Pouring it on the ground is about what I expected to hear. Your oil did come from the Earth, but many of the toxins formed in it during your use of it did not, and by dumping it indiscriminately on the ground, it's as likely to end up in the ground water as anywhere else.

Yes, in fact, there are laws against it in most places, and yes, you could be arrested for the offense in many jurisdictions. Common sense should really be all that's necessary to understand that it's shortsighted and just plain wrong.

hopefully he was just joking. don't get me wrong i'm no tree hugger but still gotta take care of what we got left :bonk:

• shrubitup

Posted October 12, 2009 - 09:04 PM

it came from the earth and then it is put back in the earth.

hmmm, let's see - what else came from the earth? Uranium? Plutonium? Let's put it in a nuclear power plant, derive nuclear fission from it and then store the byproducts in your home's crawlspace. Does that work for you? It came from the earth, right? :bonk:

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 13, 2009 - 03:53 AM

yeah i was kind of joking but im guilty of dumpping oil before. i have i bunch in my garage now that i need to take the shop im my town.

• CanadianWR450

Posted October 13, 2009 - 04:22 AM

If your tracking usage by miles (kilometers in my case), instead of hours, what do you recommend?

My manual states every 1,000km's....
I currently do mine every 500 km's, and wonder if that's enough....
Trail woods riding only, no track.

• YamaLink

Posted October 13, 2009 - 05:13 AM

I've had good luck since 2002 regarding engine durability, etc., changing my oil every 300 miles or so. This, along with keeping the air filter clean, has kept my valves in tip top shape (and this includes a few CRF450R's!).

• 642MX

Posted October 13, 2009 - 06:43 AM

You Californians crack me up. Around here they use waste oil to spray on the roads before they pave them. They also lay it down on the gravel roads to keep the dust down.

Since our local auto parts only takes 1 gallon a day, I normally give mine to a friend that works at a Case/IH dealer... they use it in an oil burning heater to keep the shop warm.

• grayracer513

Posted October 13, 2009 - 06:59 AM

You Californians crack me up. Around here they use waste oil to spray on the roads before they pave them. They also lay it down on the gravel roads to keep the dust down.

Spaying a layer of unmodified oil on the ground occasionally is quite a bit different than pouring a quart or more in one spot repeatedly, even though it isn't the smartest approach. Each inch of fluid standing on the ground penetrates a foot of soil. Consider that when you compare pouring a quart or more in a hole somewhere to a thin spray on the ground.

Oil burners are OK as long as the exhaust is clean enough. Otherwise you end up with air quality like East Germany or Pittsburgh used to have. Stuff like this has consequences, and as much as I dislike the Neo-Marxist nutcases that make up the modern environmentalist lobby, certain things are just common sense. You may not be old enough to remember when you couldn't go outside in LA without your eyes burning, or when the Ohio River caught fire, but I am. I'm not concerned about my lawnmower, barbecue, or dirt bike, but neither do I pile garbage in my living room, crap in my garden, or dump oil on the ground

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.