3 replies to this topic
  • Kris_Stratton

Posted April 10, 2000 - 04:58 AM

I just bought a 99 YZ400. I will never again buy another two stroke!! My question is this: Does anybody use race fuel instead of premium pump gas in their 400/426?? How high of octane fuel can I use without big jetting changes and/or engine modifications? On my old two strokes I used to use a 98 octane race fuel. Fairly cheap but very clean burning (none of those additives that you get at the pump). Is there any benifits to useing a higher grade fuel in this bike or am I wasting my money buying race fuel??

• OldFart

Posted April 10, 2000 - 05:25 AM

From what I have read the bikes run the best on good old 92 octane. Now Rich Rorich hangs out here and is the most knowledgeable guy I have ever known when it comes to fuel. Maybe he will enlighten us on this issue.

Mike Hetrick
'00 426
'99 Ducati Monster
'73 Kawasaki H1

[This message has been edited by OldFart (edited 04-10-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted April 10, 2000 - 05:59 AM

Quality pump gas works fine. Gas stored in cans at home loses octane points over time. If you want some "insurance" some of us add one gallon of race gas to 4 gallons of pump gas. I don't claim it works better, but I makes me feel better ;-)

Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• PSC

Posted April 11, 2000 - 04:16 AM

So long as fuel is stored in *SEALED* cans in a cool place with as little oxygen above the fuel as possible (preferably an inert gas), it can be stored for a relatively long time.

The problem with "Pump gas" is that the tanks are normally vented and some of the more volatile components of the fuel are lost over time, as well as any reaction that may occur with outside factors.

Hence the recomendation that you use gas from a busy filling station (preferrably one that refills it's tanks regularly)

Paul Card
00' 426

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.