'08 WR450, like new - $4800 ... good deal?

12 replies to this topic
  • dw373

Posted September 20, 2009 - 07:05 PM

I'm seriously considering picking up a BARELY used '08 WR450 that still has the throttle stop on the carb and maybe... maybe 2 hours of riding. Probably more like an hour or less actually in motion. It looks like it's still in the showroom, no boot marks on the frame/covers, titties still on the tires, airbox is clean as a whistle. They are asking $4800... sound like a good deal? Book value is about $4600 but doesn't factor in the NEW condition. I'd like to talk 'em down to $4500 or less, but not sure they'll go for it. Opinions please... Thanks!!!

• ohioryder

Posted September 20, 2009 - 07:20 PM

I dont know. I paid $5400 otd for my 08 back in 6/08. Even though it is like new it's still used and I would think the price should be lower. Myself, I would rather buy a new bike than take a chance on a used one. But if there are no new wr's available in your area, or available for a reasonable price, and your set on a wr I would go for it. Offer $4200 and work from there. Good luck.

• dw373

Posted September 21, 2009 - 10:01 AM

Thanks, there are only about 4 WR450's within a 5 state area and they are all '09's for $6000+ I prefer new also, but this bike is flawless and several $ less than a new 09.
I was thinking of starting my offer at $4200 also and going to maybe $4500 if necessary. They've had the bike for at least two months (it's at a Honda dealership) and I know they don't like used Yammy's sitting around too long. Hopefully they'll go for b/w $4200-$4500.
Any other opinions?

• jayh300

Posted September 21, 2009 - 10:10 AM

i know i lookd a long time before i found mine too. Just bought an 06 out of norman last month and have been very impressed with it. I would rather have had an alum frame too, but this one was very nice. I think you are right on price wise and like you said, they probably want that bike gone...
go get it....

• Wrfrk

Posted September 21, 2009 - 11:17 AM

Just picked up a super mint cond 07 that had less than 500 miles on it for $4200. It also had all the free mod work done as well as the AIS kit and bark busters and Unibiker rad guards. Had it have been all stock I would have not paid over $4000 for it but... With what you're describing I would say $4800 is not too bad but probably a little high. You should be able to talk him down to $4500, pending how long it's been for sale...

• ohioryder

Posted September 21, 2009 - 03:44 PM

I would go in there and offer $4000 and not go over $4500 OTD. The sales manager doesnt want that Yamaha in there too long, especially since its in on trade. I thought you were buying it off a person. Dont forget you have to pay sales tax. They will try to add on document fees, title fees, ect. Tell them you'll go $4500 out the door, tax, title, everything included. If they wont go for it I would keep looking or else buy a new one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • panaman

Posted September 22, 2009 - 05:23 AM

I would go in there and offer $4000 and not go over $4500 OTD. The sales manager doesnt want that Yamaha in there too long, especially since its in on trade. I thought you were buying it off a person. Dont forget you have to pay sales tax. They will try to add on document fees, title fees, ect. Tell them you'll go $4500 out the door, tax, title, everything included. If they wont go for it I would keep looking or else buy a new one.

yeah.. do what ohioryder says... when dealing with cars and bikes I always say OTD price..... its amazing how many little fees they try to stick you with.

• dw373

Posted September 23, 2009 - 07:10 AM

Picked it up yesterday. $4200 OTD. Still has the titties on the tires, even on the center knobbies! No mods yet, but I'm doing that asap. Thanks for the advice.

• ohioryder

Posted September 23, 2009 - 07:18 AM

Congrads...thats a pretty sweet deal. Do all the free mods and get her dirty:ride:

• ohioryder

Posted September 23, 2009 - 07:27 AM

I would also go thru and clean off what little factory grease is on the bearings and regrease them with a good grease. I have an 08 450 and didnt do this even though everyone says to do it and I had to replace the steering headset bearings before the first season was over. I think I only had about 20-30 hours on it.

• YamaLink

Posted September 24, 2009 - 07:13 AM

Excellent price OTD and you didn't lose a lot of riding time thinking/dickering/researching. Sounds like you knew what you wanted, and got it! Congrats on not having any buyer's remorse on a great bike!

• jayh300

Posted September 24, 2009 - 07:57 AM

congrats..... bring that bike to texas and let's ride

• Wrfrk

Posted September 24, 2009 - 09:14 AM

Holly crap that was a score..... dang!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.