timing chain q four grey

4 replies to this topic
  • 917rider

Posted September 20, 2009 - 05:27 PM

i took my 08 yz 450 two the shop as last week i was practicing and my bike just lost power it didnt skip or smoke or bog just all of the sudden lost power so any ways the bike shop said my timing chain was 2 lose and it jumped timing the thing that got me was the guy working on it said he thinks he can put a new chain on it and it will bee fine as he didnt find any bent vavles my question is will a new timing chain match the old cam gears or should the cams be replaced two and if so witch aftermarket ones make the best upgrade from stock thanks in advance :busted:

• Butta

Posted September 20, 2009 - 06:40 PM

I'm no Grey, but I'll put my $0.02 in.....

First, if the timing chain was loose, than the chain itself isn't the problem...it's the chain tensioner not doing its job in keeping the chain tight. It's very simple to change the chain (at least it was on the '05 model) and not very costly, however if you are worried that the cam gears took a beating, I would check the teeth on the crank (behind the stator) for any signs of abuse as well. The cam teeth wearing out??? No, I doubt it, but I've been wrong before. :busted:

Check the tensioner and crank side gear teeth, if it all checks ok, put 'er back together (with a new chain AND tensioner)....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 20, 2009 - 07:16 PM

While you would be well advised to replace the tensioner, no more expensive than it is, and there is generally no reason to be concerned about the cam sprockets, the chain was probably the whole cause:

http://www.thumperta...972#post8615972

• Butta

Posted September 21, 2009 - 08:10 AM

While you would be well advised to replace the tensioner, no more expensive than it is, and there is generally no reason to be concerned about the cam sprockets, the chain was probably the whole cause:

http://www.thumperta...972#post8615972

:busted: Always a wealth of knowledge....

• 917rider

Posted September 21, 2009 - 01:59 PM

:eek: well looks like i need more than a timing chain the mechnic said the nickel plating has worn off my cylinder and is in need off replating or a new cylinder :banana: guess ill b practicing on my 09 till the 2010 comes out cant take no money from that :banana: :D idk maybe its time for a big bore kit two have something new till the 2010 gets here 2 hold me over :banghead: :smirk: thanks for the help guys:thumbsup: :busted: :thumbsup: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.