Has anyone thought of putting a Grease Fitting on the steering column?

18 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted September 20, 2009 - 10:05 AM

I was thinking of drilling a hole in the frame on my 06 WR450 and thread a grease nipple in there to keep the thing well lubricated, I was going to use a high temperature grease and pack it each year, should keep dirt and water out and make the bearings last forever, im sure one small hole won't compromise the strength of the frame, what do you guys think??

Posted Image

• NMNORGE

Posted September 20, 2009 - 10:19 AM

I was thinking of drilling a hole in the frame on my 06 WR450 and thread a grease nipple in there to keep the thing well lubricated, I was going to use a high temperature grease and pack it each year, should keep dirt and water out and make the bearings last forever, im sure one small hole won't compromise the strength of the frame, what do you guys think??

Posted Image

I did that to a XR400, mistake. Too much volume to fill with grease in that steering neck.

• WR_Dave

Posted September 20, 2009 - 10:34 AM

I would think that there must be a few days during the Newfoundland winters that you could give this area a good repacking with grease every year. NMNORGE is right it would take almost a whole tube of grease to fill that area. WR Dave

• William1

Posted September 20, 2009 - 10:51 AM

On top of the volume of grease needed, when giving it a squirt of fresh grease, it is fairly unlikely to acutally pump out all the old to replace with the new. It can work with a swing arm as the volume and area is not that great realted to the pressure and volume of the incoming fresh grease. Though the best way to grease is via a cleaning and repacking.

• MountainMax

Posted September 20, 2009 - 12:34 PM

Once it is full it will only take a squirt or 2 to get it to work. Taking it apart is a pain in the ass, and I have even more days here in LABRADOR to do this, maybe im getting lazy in my old age......

• willyd465

Posted September 20, 2009 - 12:42 PM

bad idea, alot of the reason for repacking those bearings is to clean the dirt that gets in there out, by just adding a grease fitting you are not cleaning the bearing and as others have said, there is no where for the old grease to go

• YamaLink

Posted September 20, 2009 - 03:54 PM

I believe I've seen some Harleys with a grease zerk in the neck.

You know what, I was gonna lay down some Harley jokes, but naaaah. :busted:

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 20, 2009 - 04:23 PM

I believe I've seen some Harleys with a grease zerk in the neck.

You know what, I was gonna lay down some Harley jokes, but naaaah. :banana:

Let the Harley jokes flow :busted: :thumbsup: :banana: :banana: :banana:

• davek18

Posted September 20, 2009 - 05:12 PM

I think I have seen Harley riders with bolts sticking out on each side of their necks. They look like some kind of terminal or electrode.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • R.D.

Posted October 09, 2009 - 03:15 PM

IDK if it will work good or not but no way will it take anywhere near a whole tube of grease. The Bearing Buddies on my trailer work just fine. New grease in, old grease out.

• KAS

Posted October 09, 2009 - 05:57 PM

Doesn't work well at all.

• MountainMax

Posted October 09, 2009 - 07:21 PM

I agree, works same as bearing buddies on trailer wheel bearings, I done it, and it worked great, filled her with grease with the electric grease gun and used high temp grease so the hot engine oil in the frame wouldn't melt the greese.

• Erik Rueb

Posted October 10, 2009 - 01:46 PM

My wr 250 f had its head stock bearings gone in its first year ! Taken it apart to fit new bearings and thought the same about grease nipples. When you take the bearings out and look down into the frame you will see that it is open . Not just a tube. It is hollow right down into the frame towards the motor so all the grease would disappear in there unless you block that off. I reckon a yearly stripdown an regrease should do it. I use a JCB blue grease that is used on diggers. Very good and cheap. £2,50 for 200 grams.

• MountainMax

Posted October 10, 2009 - 02:09 PM

i looked inside my frame, and it wasn't open, mine has oil in there, it only took about 1/2 tube of grease to fill up and go bar tight with the grease gun as the seals are working very good now, hehe.

• NMNORGE

Posted October 10, 2009 - 03:12 PM

i looked inside my frame, and it wasn't open, mine has oil in there, it only took about 1/2 tube of grease to fill up and go bar tight with the grease gun as the seals are working very good now, hehe.

I enjoy working on bikes probably more than riding them as I get older. I would prefer packing the steering bearings every year by hand instead of filling a steering head with grease that could become contaminated, dirty or stagnate.

• Lennie

Posted October 11, 2009 - 10:59 PM

I did it to my 04 and it worked well, I would highly recomend this mod. Does anyone know if the head tube is solid on a 07?

• WR_Dave

Posted October 12, 2009 - 06:29 AM

I enjoy working on bikes probably more than riding them as I get older. I would prefer packing the steering bearings every year by hand instead of filling a steering head with grease that could become contaminated, dirty or stagnate.

I agree with this as well, as a mechanic I prefer to actually have the parts in my hand for inspection on a regular basis. This thread has gone like so many before it " to each their own", whatever you are more comfortable with is the way you should go. There isn't really a wrong method here as long as the bearings are getting some fresh lube on occasion, that is the main thing. WR Dave

• Sylvain

Posted October 13, 2009 - 05:52 AM

Hello
It's been a while since I browsed this site. Nice to see it going so well.

About the zerk on the steering column for wr 426 2002. I did this mod after having to install a new bearing set soon after buying my bike new in 2002. The steering column cavity is separated from the frame oil tank. Drill the hole install a straigh zerk clean the metal filling. Once cleaned, it takes effectively quite a bit of grease to fill. It only takes a few stroke of the grase gun, and voila :bonk: . Only issue, the old grease tends to seep from the bottom bearing more than the top and you end up with a greasy front fender near the steering column.
PS: use a grease for high temperature application as this area gets warmed up by the engine oil.

Regards
Sylvain

• MountainMax

Posted October 13, 2009 - 05:13 PM

yeah, i looked for high temp grease because of the oil in the frame

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.