XR250R: Rebuild my rear shock or...??

6 replies to this topic
  • mcnutty

Posted September 20, 2009 - 06:06 AM

I have a saggy old shock on my XR250R. Most of the bike is a 1987 model but the shock is from a 1995 250R. I have a guy in town who will replace the oil, seals and whatever else needs replacing for around $70 - $80.

I've searched to see if there had been any rear shock conversions done but only came up with a couple of posts saying that a late model XR600 shock would fit. Anyone know if this is true and what it entails? Does the XR600 have the remote reservoir that clamps to the frame like my 250r does? If it's too complicated or not even worth the trouble i'll just rebuild my current shock but I'd like to find out first. I know of a guy who's parting out a 1997 XR600 and is selling his shock for $30, I thought about buying it and seeing if it'd fit but i've tried that before without any success.

Thanks.

:busted:

• ramz

Posted September 20, 2009 - 06:14 AM

I have a guy in town who will replace the oil, seals and whatever else needs replacing for around $70 - $80.

Go for the rebuild; you won't believe how nice the ride will be. Over the years, I've given this advice and also had my shock rebuilt and all of us were very pleased with the result. The shock is very capable when it has new internals and fresh suspension fluid. :busted: :thumbsup:

PS and every year, you can replace the fluid yourself, quite easily, and maintain the performance level.

• hondapro

Posted September 20, 2009 - 10:14 AM

I just rebuilt my shock on my XR400. For me it was worth rebuilding. I did it myself but $80 isn't too bad. The only thing is it seems that the shock body of my shock has a small worn section where the sock sits when riding small bumps. When you push the rod in from all the way out it has resistance then it goes in easier for a a short distance then it goes back to normal. But it works so I am still going to use it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RedRider3141

Posted September 20, 2009 - 12:36 PM

70-80 totally worth it, especially if you have lost your nitrogen charge.

I was going to have an '88 XR250R shock rebuilt for my 250L (I got the shock for free) but was warned and found out that the older shocks with high wear can be destroyed internally and are beyond repair. He didn't charge me anything and I sent my L shock to be rebuilt instead. The bike was much smoother and more in controls but mostly I noticed that I had much better traction, especially under hard acceleration or braking.

LTR in Port Orchard did the work on my shock. It was more the $80 but he re-valved it for my weight too.

• mcnutty

Posted September 26, 2009 - 08:09 AM

I decided to take it in for a rebuild. I dropped it off this last Wednesday and hope to hear from the guy early next week. Hopefully the snow holds off for a few more weeks so I can try it out this season. :busted:

• ramz

Posted September 26, 2009 - 06:57 PM

The Rainbow is calling and will not wait. :banana:

We're dry as a bone here, and virtually everything is rideable. What trails should I ride starting Monday :banana:

Ya shoulda waited two more weeks :banana: :busted: :busted: :banana:

Wanna ride the TE310? :busted:
($5,500 deposit)

• mcnutty

Posted September 27, 2009 - 05:54 AM

I should have it back Monday or Tuesday, just in time for a Wednesday ride.... At least i'm hoping! :busted: I'll let you know, though. Weather was so crappy last week that I started tearing into the bike to clean and regrease some things and figured I might as well take in.

Thanks for the offer on the TE310 but I think i'd rather try and ride my XR without a shock before I did that.... :banana:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

My first dirt bike xr250 1997 by w00dzy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  90 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 smoking suddenly, replace plug, adjust valves or fuel mixture? by Landcrab

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 - 440 kit long term longevity by XR Pilot

• Hot  51 replies
Forums
Photo

Cylinder question: hone, bore, or do nothing by enoxos

• 10 replies
Forums
Photo

The beginning of my rebuild 96 xr250r by Madmike84

• Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.