Stewart's 2010 450 up close

54 replies to this topic
  • KtmKramer

Posted September 20, 2009 - 11:51 AM

Because most factory teams do, and factory-only rubber is typically one-off or next gen tread patterns, and the compounds offer superior traction to off the shelf tires.

I have no idea why anyone would think they would.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 20, 2009 - 01:18 PM

You guys who are all twisting your hankies over the heat issue are really kidding yourselves, IMO. There is far more air circulation around the '10 shock, and the pipe itself is farther away from the shock than it is on your own bike, where the mid pipe nearly touches the gas reservoir. The loop is mostly shielded, and is behind and away from the shock. Even at 5 MPH, the air flowing over the area will almost totally spoil radiant heat transfer to the shock.

In my post you quoted about heat, there was no mention of heat from the pipe causing an issue. I was very vague as to the source of the heat.
When ridden extremely hard,which Bubba does, the oil may reach extreme temperatures just from usage. Since forward motion should push heat from the exhaust to the rear of the bike I do not see that as having an effect on the shock.

And yes it could be a nitrogen reservoir,but we have no Idea what they did to it. At this point it is all just speculation,unless someone has an inside source.

• grayracer513

Posted September 20, 2009 - 01:40 PM

Because most factory teams do, and factory-only rubber is typically one-off or next gen tread patterns, and the compounds offer superior traction to off the shelf tires.

Your original post had the look of having said that you thought they would be using OE tires. Since you clarified, that's different.

• MX1967

Posted September 20, 2009 - 03:56 PM

The Yamaha team has never run the "factory rubber" that I know of, and I have no idea why anyone would think they would (other than high sarcasm). They've run mostly Bridgestone tires in the past. You can be certain that you'll see a tire suited to the venue, wherever they happen to be.

If you read MXA's test of Stewarts 09 bike (currently on their website) they say the bike has "Bridgestone works tires" which last time I checked were factory rubber.....which I didn't take as oem rubber.

Posted September 20, 2009 - 04:51 PM

Tomorrow's the big day for Yamaha. I was at Budds Creek today and they are all set for a 2 day intro for the new 450. All the magazine guys should be in town by now for PICS vids and of course ride time. Keep an eye open over the next few days for vids and ride reviews on most of the mag web sites.

And yes the new 450 looks better in person, they have at least 15 of them at Budds in both colors.

Note: if you live close by and try to get in without an invite, you will be turned away, sorry.

• Adammoto

Posted September 20, 2009 - 06:16 PM

Tomorrow's the big day for Yamaha. I was at Budds Creek today and they are all set for a 2 day intro for the new 450. All the magazine guys should be in town by now for PICS vids and of course ride time. Keep an eye open over the next few days for vids and ride reviews on most of the mag web sites.

And yes the new 450 looks better in person, they have at least 15 of them at Budds in both colors.

Note: if you live close by and try to get in without an invite, you will be turned away, sorry.

Sweet I can't wait to read some real reviews. So far all the reviews were written by guys who haven't even seen the bike yet!

• ProjectDIRT

Posted September 20, 2009 - 06:52 PM

yea there should be no heat issue with the seat i got to take a look at the bike today at the sand show and theres a heat sheild up there and theres alot of room before the actual seat. i dont see it being an issue at all. i want mine

• grayracer513

Posted September 20, 2009 - 07:24 PM

If you read MXA's test of Stewarts 09 bike (currently on their website) they say the bike has "Bridgestone works tires" which last time I checked were factory rubber.....which I didn't take as oem rubber.

If the gentleman had used the term "works" in the first place, there wouldn't have been any confusion. "Factory" has been used to indicate "original equipment" for as long as I can recall.

Frankly, I thought the matter was cleared up already.

• DPW

Posted September 21, 2009 - 06:38 AM

What??? No video???

http://www.redbull.c...p=1242745960634

• nephic

Posted September 21, 2009 - 06:56 AM

Pretty neat how they cut into the shrouds to get some more air ino the filter. I think that you can see right into the filter if you look at the close up. Also, there is a resonator in the front with a nut on it (Oxygen Sensor point for setup?) but what the heck is the second resonator looking thing stamped Akropovic that can be seen in the back BEHIND the shock reservoir in the close up? Intriguing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • awesomodrumboy

Posted September 21, 2009 - 07:01 AM

whats that weird blueish bubble in front of the shock and behind the cam chain adjuster? it looks like its attached to the exhaust header, but what is it? iv never seen this b4...

• cowboyona426

Posted September 21, 2009 - 07:54 AM

whats that weird blueish bubble in front of the shock and behind the cam chain adjuster? it looks like its attached to the exhaust header, but what is it? iv never seen this b4...

Have you not read up on the 2010 at all yet? It's a special chamber in the exhaust pipe.

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2009 - 09:04 AM

A resonator, actually, similar to the PowerBomb concept.

• Luv2crash

Posted September 21, 2009 - 09:37 AM

I'm willing to bet he's been riding this bike for some time well before it was released

• Family Man

Posted September 21, 2009 - 10:17 AM

the gytr header on the yamaha site doest show a resonator chamber...

• nephic

Posted September 22, 2009 - 05:52 AM

Have you not read up on the 2010 at all yet? It's a special chamber in the exhaust pipe.

+1 :busted: :thumbsup: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :D :banghead: :smirk:

• nephic

Posted September 22, 2009 - 05:56 AM

the gytr header on the yamaha site doest show a resonator chamber...

I noticed that as well...interesting for sure...Maybe the 6 inches of extra pipe that this baby has gives it plenty of low end, and the smaller header, minus the resonator, brings out teh top end. :busted: Just conjecture, who knows...well Grey...but I mean who else knows.

• Dirtymutt9

Posted September 25, 2009 - 02:17 PM

the bolt on the exhaust header is for an oxygen sensor for tuning the EFI. I am almost positive of this.

wicked torn up bike for sure

• ProjectDIRT

Posted September 25, 2009 - 03:56 PM

thats deff. not for a wideband its welded to the res. it wouldnt get a true reading.

• bruce lockwood

Posted September 26, 2009 - 01:55 PM

Look closely at the bolt and you will see a slot for screw driver. Maybe it is attached to a metallic bellows that when said screw is turned in/out it moves the bellows thus adjusting the volume of the header. Simple way to change power characteristics. Cheers Bruce

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.