Enclosed Trailers - Need advice...

10 replies to this topic
  • LarryCO

Posted April 09, 2003 - 05:03 AM

OK, given that I'm moving to MN and need some extra space to carry boxes, etc., I need a new enclosed trailer! (Love how you can justify purchases like this...) :)

Been looking at an Interstate 6'x12' enclosed trailer @ Classic Trailer in Wheatridge. Has a side door and a spring assisted rear ramp door, light, and vents. Seems that I could fit atleast 2 bikes and an ATV in there, but not sure. Definitely 3 bikes and gear if arranged correctly. And a single sled by itself sometime down the road (moving to MN after all!)...

Question #1: with this size trailer (6x12), can I fit the things listed above in there without a problem?

Also, I'm looking for advice/feedback on this trailer or any others that are out there. This one's a bit more than I wanted to spend ($3500), but it's a heavier-duty fab than the "Journeyman" model (some other manufacturer - short name - cant remember - Pace?) that I looked at and seemed nicer overall.

Question #2: Interstate vs. Pace? vs. other models? Pricing of each? Durability?

After I pick the trailer, the next input I would be looking for are suggested mods to the interior (floor, wheel chocks, surround sound media center, etc.) and exterior (spare tire obviously, etc.).

Question #3: Suggested mods? Suggested options?

Thanks in advance for helping me spend money that my wife otherwise will for me! :D

Larry

• YAMAKAZE

Posted April 09, 2003 - 06:27 AM

If you shop around you should be able to find a tandum axle 7x7x17 trailer. I got my 7x7x20 Trailer for $3,200 brand new. I can haul 3 bikes and an ATV in mine. You would be able to fit an ATV and 2 bikes in a 12 foot trailer but it would be very tight, with gear bags, fuel cans and the like.

This is what my trailer looked like when I first bought it...Notice the ATV in the left front.

Posted Image

Bonzai :)

• YZ250F49

Posted April 09, 2003 - 06:35 AM

Figure out what size trailer you will need......and then buy the NEXT SIZE UP.
(Mine is a 7 x 14 Pace Tandem Axle for 4 bikes)
Good Luck
:)

• YZ250F49

Posted April 09, 2003 - 06:39 AM

YAMAKAZE, where did you get that cabinet in the upper left side of your trailer? Did you make or buy?
Thanks!

• MyBloodisBlue

Posted April 09, 2003 - 07:08 AM

I have a 6x12 that fits 4 bikes and toolbox with room to spare..We mounted 4 bike shoes at an angle to get 4 slots easily.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lon13

Posted April 09, 2003 - 02:15 PM

Someday I'll buy a trailer so I can stop putting my bike in the trunk of my wifes car. :)

• LarryCO

Posted April 10, 2003 - 04:20 AM

Found a 6x14 enclosed trailer for $200 over cost. Seems like a screamin' deal.

So do you think that I could fit 2 sleds in it if I faced one forward and backed one in (someday when I buy them)? Not these mountain longtrack monsters...but rather the 8-9' variety?

Please advise...

Larry

• Merfman

Posted April 10, 2003 - 04:30 AM

LarryCO.. you're moving to MN on purpose?

I have a friend who had a 6x14 trailer. Enough room for 4 bikes and gear, no problem.
I have a 6x12 and I've gotten 4 bikes and gear, but it's jammed. I can carry
3 bikes and gear no problem.

As far as accessories, try these sites:

www.blazinbelltech.com : Great door organizers.
www.pitpal.com : Got some nice hangers and gas can racks from them.
www.modulinecabinets.com : Pricey but nice cabs..

Merf

• YAMAKAZE

Posted April 10, 2003 - 07:06 AM

There's two cabinets on my left wall. I got them from and Office Cubicle that my company was getting rid of when we did a furnature upgrade a couple of years ago.

Bonzai :)

• Bill

Posted April 10, 2003 - 01:54 PM

Larry,

I've been looking around for a 6 x 12 also. The dealer I checked out carried Continental Cargo trailers and for a 6 x 12, barn door, side door, 6'3" interior height, 15" wheels and torsion bar suspension, $2850 or $2650 for 14" wheels, straight axle and leaf springs.

Bill

• LarryCO

Posted April 15, 2003 - 06:27 AM

Well, I ended up buying that Interstate 6x14...felt like I got a good deal with all of the extras they through in.

Now my next series of questions...let's talk floors and paint. I see there being a couple of options...using some sort of polypropylene paint mixture and/or paint mixed with fine sand on the floors/part way up the wall. Any ideas on what works well? Want to be able to spray out the crap with a garden hose from time to time, and now have the floor turn into a skating rink when wet... :)

Thx in advance!
Larry

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.