WR450 Engine noise. Please diagnose. Youtube Vid Incl

31 replies to this topic
  • stev0

Posted September 19, 2009 - 08:01 AM

I rode my wr for about 6 hours today, when I parked it, my engine at idle sounded louder then usual, I thought nothing of it, but on the last 30miles home, it got louder. Im really thinking bearings, but maybe it could be the header gasket? But I dont know anymore...

Thanx guys

• TLRam1

Posted September 19, 2009 - 08:34 AM

Listen with a screwdriver in your ear at various points and see if the noise is coming from the top or bottom.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 19, 2009 - 08:43 AM

How far do you stick the screwdriver in your ear? Or is it up to your ear with the handle and the blade touching the motor?

• stev0

Posted September 19, 2009 - 08:53 AM

In all fairness, the topend has not been open in 6000miles. I was told that if it hard to start only look at the valves then.

Could the valves sound like that?

• stev0

Posted September 19, 2009 - 09:15 AM

Ive tried your technique and honnestly the top and the bottom both sound the same, but now when cold the noise comes from the front almost where the exhaust exits the head.

Could a blown exhaust gasket do the same?

• Sider_steve

Posted September 19, 2009 - 09:22 AM

Ive tried your technique and honnestly the top and the bottom both sound the same, but now when cold the noise comes from the front almost where the exhaust exits the head.

Could a blown exhaust gasket do the same?

Pop the head pipe off and take a look.
Then if you can shine a light up the exhaust port and take a look there.
Small dental mirrors work awsome in this situation.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 19, 2009 - 01:51 PM

It sounds like a lower rpm/speed noise than would come from the valve train. I would guess Bottom end issue.

• TLRam1

Posted September 19, 2009 - 07:04 PM

It sounds like a lower rpm/speed noise than would come from the valve train. I would guess Bottom end issue.

That was my thought also but wanted him to isolate the noise a little first.

• stev0

Posted September 19, 2009 - 10:22 PM

I tried taking off the header but the inner allen nut is a real bitch, there is not much space to work with.

• stev0

Posted September 19, 2009 - 10:22 PM

The noise is coming from the front of the motor.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sider_steve

Posted September 19, 2009 - 10:27 PM

I tried taking off the header but the inner allen nut is a real bitch, there is not much space to work with.

Give the allen screw a little shot of WD-40 and let it sit for a few hours.
Take your allen wrench and put the long end in the allen screw.
Then take a small wrench put it on the short side of the allen wrench and use it to turn the allen wrench.:busted:

• stev0

Posted September 19, 2009 - 10:32 PM

I Did that... Didnt use the WD, should of I guess. :busted:

Can i start the bike without the pipe to see if the noise is still there? or will I burn valves?

• Sider_steve

Posted September 19, 2009 - 10:55 PM

I Did that... Didnt use the WD, should of I guess. :busted:

Can i start the bike without the pipe to see if the noise is still there? or will I burn valves?

I would not recommend it.
You could hold the kill switch and turn the motor over and see if you hear anything coming from the exhaust port.
If it is making that much noise running the motor isn't doing it any good anyway.

• stev0

Posted September 19, 2009 - 11:00 PM

do header gaskets need replacing?

• Sider_steve

Posted September 19, 2009 - 11:07 PM

do header gaskets need replacing?

Unless its got some very visual damage I don't think so.
It is just a hard rubber heat resistant gasket from what I have seen.
So if it looks good,it should be fine.

• stev0

Posted September 19, 2009 - 11:23 PM

Im really hoping it is this. fsck sakes...

• chris_TTR250

Posted September 19, 2009 - 11:59 PM

I assume you have checked the valve clearances? I've also heard that the timing chain guide can get worn and make a similar noise. Might be worth checking before you split the case.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 20, 2009 - 12:14 AM

Im really hoping it is this. fsck sakes...

Sounds like no matter what it is your going to have to at least take the valve cover off and maybe more.:thumbsup: :busted:

• stev0

Posted September 20, 2009 - 12:44 AM

Got the header off, but there is no gasket?

see pics.

Engine
Posted Image

Header
Posted Image

• Sider_steve

Posted September 20, 2009 - 12:58 PM

Got the header off, but there is no gasket?

see pics.

Engine
Posted Image

Header
Posted Image

I am not sure what year your WR is but here is a link to an 05 parts list.
http://shop.thumpert...2005&model=5237
have a hard time hearing what kind of noise it is with the bike running in the garage.
So maybe that $3.74 gasket will fix your noise.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.