Dislocated collar bone......

19 replies to this topic
  • Datz a DRZ

Posted September 19, 2009 - 05:22 AM

I did a search of past theads but could not really find anything. I took a little tumble a couple of days ago and dislocated my collar bone. The x rays are very clear. No breaks. Here's the kicker. Aside from being a little sore and looking a little strange it's really not bothering me that much. I don't get it. I have dislocated a shoulder before and that was agony so I am not sure what is going on. Here are some details.

45 years old and pretty decent shape.
I can lift my arm over my head.
I can do big arm circles in both directions.
I think most of the restrictions I have are because of sore ribs. Not the shoulder.

So clearly the xray shows a dislocate.
Q#1 - How will it be fixed?
Q#2 - What the heck is the purpose of the CB?

I only ask the 2nd Q because I am just a bit suprized at how much I can do with a diclocated CB.

I will see the Orthopedic Dr. by Wednesday. I guess I am just trying to find out what to expect. Kinda like getting a second opinion first!

Thank you.

• ScottyJFZ1

Posted September 21, 2009 - 07:09 AM

sounds like a AC seperation...there are 6 degrees of these...do you have a little bump on top of your shoulder? That is a sign of a seperation...usually they heal on their own ...but if severe type 4,5 and 6 usually require surgery...sounds like you have a minor one....post the Xray

pic worth its weight in gold..

Scotty J.

• Datz a DRZ

Posted September 21, 2009 - 07:37 AM

I have learned a little more. Yes. An AC sereation is the proper term. It is a type 2. NOt sure how to post the Xray. ?????? I am waiting to see the Ortho this week. I did find out that the urgent care DR should have put me in a figure eight or other support. That didn't happen. Yes, there is a little bump on the shoulder. Can the bone be put back into pace? It is my understanding that one of the ligaments in there has broke. Therefore, no going back into place without surgery. I don't want surgey if I don't need it.

How do I post the Xray's?

• ziptie

Posted September 21, 2009 - 09:22 AM

If you have a *.jpg or it is on disk, attach the pic to the post.

If you only have film, hold the x-ray up to the window with enough light to where you can see it properly then take a digital pic and attach it to the post.

You should see this below for attachments in the REPLY:
[COLOR="Blue"]Add images from your Photobucket Account[/COLOR]

You'll need to setup a free account in photobucket first, not sure if there is another way, maybe someone will chime in.

Good luck

• ScottyJFZ1

Posted September 22, 2009 - 05:58 AM

I have learned a little more. Yes. An AC sereation is the proper term. It is a type 2. NOt sure how to post the Xray. ?????? I am waiting to see the Ortho this week. I did find out that the urgent care DR should have put me in a figure eight or other support. That didn't happen. Yes, there is a little bump on the shoulder. Can the bone be put back into pace? It is my understanding that one of the ligaments in there has broke. Therefore, no going back into place without surgery. I don't want surgey if I don't need it.

Type 2 AC sep...no surgery no figure 8...just let it heal on its own and take it easy....and look at the bump as a trophy...lots of guys have them...I am NOT a doctor and maybe Dr mark will confirm what I said..

My wife had mild one and the bump on her left shoulder a bit more pronounced than her right...no biggie...now MAN UP ...I really do not thik you need to see an Ortho but cannot hurt...Figure 8 they use for broken collar bones...if you have full range of motion but just sore then just take it easy and it should heal...your clavicle is not displaced the AC ligament or tendon is just stretched...you will be fine...IMHO but again...I AM NOT A DOCTOR

• ScottyJFZ1

Posted September 26, 2009 - 04:12 AM

where is the xray?

• DrMark

Posted September 26, 2009 - 04:29 AM

For a shoulder seperation, grades, i, 2, or 3, there is no efficacy to a figure of eight bandage, and no reason to delay rehab for more than a day or two.

Types 4, 5, and 6 are surgical problems. After the surgery, the rehab also starts on the first post operative day.

• Datz a DRZ

Posted September 26, 2009 - 08:43 AM

Thank you Dr Mark. Ortho wants to see me again in 3 weeks. Is rehab exercise specific or can I start resonable exercise on my own. Is there any movements that I absolutely want to avoid? I was doing a lot of pull ups and push ups. What about dumbell work specifically targeting the shoulder area?

Thanks again.

• Datz a DRZ

Posted September 26, 2009 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the reminder on the xray. I left it at the Ortho. Damn. I hope they didn't chuck it. I will call on Monday.

• mynewcr250

Posted September 26, 2009 - 08:57 AM

i had a grade 2 separation as well, supposedly. the doctor did nothing for me.

i say, save your copay and deal with it (since you've already seen the xrays). i wish i would of done that considering all the doctor did is make me move my arm up and down and ask me if it hurt.

im surprised you have no pain. my shoulder hurt like hell for weaks with heavy bruising, but nothing was broken and the doctor said himself that this isnt something they do anything about, just leave it and let it heal. it took me at least 3 months to heal up, and a month or so after that to be feel 100%.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrMark

Posted September 26, 2009 - 09:02 AM

there is nothing in particular that must be avoided.

• Datz a DRZ

Posted September 26, 2009 - 09:25 AM

Then to the gym I go!! I too was suprized at the lack of pain. I guess I will count my blessings. My kids want to name my new little friend. How about Bumper? Maybe I can get it tatooed. Since it is going to be with me for awhile.

Thanks for the input guys!!

• Husky 2002 WR250

Posted September 26, 2009 - 02:53 PM

Mine shoulder hurt like bloody hell for two full months and still hurts every moring and if I load it up over head lifting and after workouts, now after 4 months.

• DrMark

Posted September 27, 2009 - 04:52 AM

Four months or so with continued symptoms is the person who should have the surgery.

• Datz a DRZ

Posted October 05, 2009 - 12:11 PM

Just some follow up stuff. It's been three weeks since the injury. I am about 95 % pain free and what pain I do have is more like discomfort. I guess I am a very lucky one. I have read a lot of stuff on line. I think I am a bit more confused as to the degree of my ac seperation. It appears that, typically, a permanent bump does not show until a grade three seperation. YES?? I have a very clear bump about 3/4" on top of my shoulder. However, I seem to be more symptomatic of a grade 2 or even one. I have great mobility and strength. I lifted some weights at the gym on Friday and everything felt great. I would like to race this weekend but don't want to be fooled by a false sence of security just because everything FEELS ok but it really aint.

So I guess what I am trying to narrow down is this.

Could I have a grade I or II and still have a distinctive bump?

Could I have a grade III and have virtually no pain and feel this good so fast?

Race on Saturday??

I know that you would probobaly want to see the xrays. I am still trying to get them back from the ortho.

Thaks in advance.

B

• DrMark

Posted October 05, 2009 - 03:21 PM

Most people with grade 3 AC injuries do just fine. You are one of them. If you were my patient, I would have you racing with a couple of weeks of injury.

• Datz a DRZ

Posted November 15, 2009 - 07:47 AM

More follow up - It has been a couple of months now since seperating my AC joint. Mobility is good, flexability is good, strength is about 80% returned. The stability of shoulder is my concern. All the "clunking around" that is going on in my shoulder. I was doing push ups the other day and it was really strange. There are other day to day movements in which I get this same kind of clunking. It seems to be getting worse. Again, it does not hurt. Just feels very weird. So my question is - is this to be expected? Any other concerns to look out for?

Thank you.

• DrMark

Posted November 15, 2009 - 11:09 AM

Pretty much this sounds quite common.
If it continues to bother you in one way or another it needs to get fixed.

• B_Brad

Posted November 15, 2009 - 05:07 PM

I had a grade three ac separation back on December 2007 and still get some clunking. Not often but just on occasion. I recovered in about a month in a half riding wise.

• Husky 2002 WR250

Posted November 15, 2009 - 06:13 PM

My Grade 2 feels very stable but now at 6 months, but still hurts, especially after I work out, I get the severe soreness right at the joint, which goes away but comes back every workout (and I'm pretty much taking it easy withb the free weights). I have a slight bump on mine. Strange it has not scarred up and taken this long with pain still present.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Stretch before or after excercise? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Mx training besides running by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   MX Riding Technique
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Things I learned in my first two hours on a dirt bike (Long) by Scootterass

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  40 replies
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

Slam Dunk by dturk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  41 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.