Newbie question....hate to ask but;

4 replies to this topic
  • wakin

Posted April 09, 2003 - 05:00 AM

Been lurking for a couple of months. Wife let's me buy a bike after putting my YZ490 to pasture when Hanah & DeCoster ruled MX.
Grey Wire - I thought I could do this in my sleep after reading all the posts. 2000 WR400, last night I cut the grey wire as it comes up from the frame into the 2-piece connector & siliconed off the ends. Afterwords I wondered if I should have cut between the connector & the black box(cdi box?) Does it matter? Sorry to beat a dead horse, but could someone confirm? Afterwards I fired it up to make sure I didn't do anything bad and ran it up the street. Since it was 1:00am & the bike is uncorked, I didn't think the neighbors would appreciate me rolling on it very hard. Does this mod make the bike a bit more snappy?

Also by buddy bought an 02' WR426, that thing is scary fast! Anyway I can make mine stand on it's tail with a with a flick of the throttle like his?

You guy's have been a killer wealth of info. Just hope that Yamakaze guy doesn't beat me for bringing up the grey wire again!

• lewichris

Posted April 09, 2003 - 05:35 AM

i believe your supposed to cut it above the black connector. but i may be wrong. I dont think the gray wire makesd a ton of difference. YOu want a difference then YZ time it. And put a carbon fiber air box in it. Yes your bike will stand up on end like your buddies. I have a nicely tuned 400 and i actually like it better then my friends 426. But that was just me. Good luck with the bike your gonna love it.

Chris L. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sunnymex

Posted April 09, 2003 - 09:18 AM

I do not know th answe to your question, but I am glad to see that I was not the only one up after midnight working on my bike. Time just flies doens't it!!

• wakin

Posted April 09, 2003 - 09:48 AM

Sunnymex - you live in fun is that!

I figure a guy needs some "alone" time with his bike! It did make me feel better when I ran it down the road & saw my nieghbor working on his Polaris Predator in his garage.

• Lon13

Posted April 09, 2003 - 12:25 PM

No, it doesn't matter where you cut it. most people (me inc) just remove it from the plug with a small screwdriver. Both the blue wire (on a 450) and the grey wire go to the same place(ground). it's an alternate ign map. When I cut mine it did make it a little snappier, it seemed to pick up revs faster from mid up. :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.