Flywheel Weights

5 replies to this topic
  • OldFart

Posted April 08, 2000 - 05:18 PM

I checked out all the flywheel weights and settled on the Steahly 12 oz unit due to prior satisfaction with Steahly products.

It showed up today. It has TerryCable written all over it with a little gold Steahly sticker in one corner.

------------------
Mike Hetrick
'00 426
'99 Ducati Monster
'73 Kawasaki H1

• fattybeast

Posted April 11, 2000 - 09:08 PM

Let me know what you think about these babies!!!
Is there any loss in RPMs, revs, horsepower, throttle response, etc??
Or is is it just plain heaven with less stalling?? :)
Please let me know,
thanks, look forward to hearing back from you ASAP!!
Later,

Fattybeast

1998 Yamaha YZ400F--the original!!

• OldFart

Posted April 12, 2000 - 03:48 PM

I mounted the weight on the flywheel with a minimum of fuss. Just take your time and it will be ok. The hardest part of the project was getting the flywheel nut torqued to spec.

I am VERY happy with the unit. Took a little bit of hit off of it, but it is real dry in Idaho right now so that is actually an advantage.

Idaho is a typical western state with plenty of big hills. The weight has made it a LOT easier for general trail stuff.

Two thumbs up.

------------------
Mike Hetrick
'00 426
'99 Ducati Monster
'73 Kawasaki H1

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 12, 2000 - 08:48 PM

I would like to know mainly if it helped to have less stalling?
I seem to have troubles with that at times, so does ithelp to reduce this??
Thanks for your input do far!!

• Tim

Posted April 13, 2000 - 10:42 AM

I am also curious about the stalling. But mainly I am conserned about reducing the throttle response. I am thinking about making my own weight (ring) and just having it welded on. As far as it looks the 10 oz'er looks like it is the weapon of choice by the guys from the list, is that correct?

• OldFart

Posted April 13, 2000 - 11:10 AM

Well, it HAS to reduce stalling....there is more crankshaft inertia. Matter of simple physics.

If you don't EVER want it to stall, throw about 20 pounds on there. You might be dissatisfied with the throttle response though.

It is always a matter of give and take. Only YOU can tell if the amount of throttle response traded for perceived torque is worth it.

For me it was.

------------------
Mike Hetrick
'00 426
'99 Ducati Monster
'73 Kawasaki H1

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.