front disc loose 07 yz450f

12 replies to this topic
  • jays22b

Posted September 18, 2009 - 03:01 PM

Doing some work and noticed the front disc has movement in it on the floating disc part. Should i try close the floating points by means off pressing etc, or is it a right off.
http://i847.photobuc...b/frontdisc.jpg

If it needs replacing should i buy the same or try a newer model if they fit?

• clutchless

Posted September 18, 2009 - 03:51 PM

supposed to be that way.

• davcon

Posted September 18, 2009 - 03:56 PM

There are pics of mine in this post http://www.thumperta...5834&highlight=
Not a great angle but it looks like yours

• jays22b

Posted September 18, 2009 - 04:26 PM

i have never felt a slack spot in front brakes before. reason i notice it as i just rebuilt swing arm and head stem and thought some thing was loose there and i found the fualt to be in the front. i know there is ment to be flex in the disc but i have 1mm off movement in the disc, its off and clean and i can not see there wear but can move the center 1mm around. Is that normal?

http://i847.photobuc...22b/discoff.jpg

• Troutman

Posted September 18, 2009 - 05:30 PM

i have never felt a slack spot in front brakes before. reason i notice it as i just rebuilt swing arm and head stem and thought some thing was loose there and i found the fualt to be in the front. i know there is ment to be flex in the disc but i have 1mm off movement in the disc, its off and clean and i can not see there wear but can move the center 1mm around. Is that normal?

http://i847.photobuc...22b/discoff.jpg

Yes it is normal, check another bike even a new bike. With the front brake applied the wheel will rotate about 1mm back and fourth due to the floating disk button setup. I had the same question about a month ago :busted:

• gruberyz

Posted September 18, 2009 - 05:31 PM

All the bikes that use that ring and hub disc brake setup are floppy like that

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shadykiwi

Posted September 20, 2009 - 01:43 PM

I wouldnt say they are meant to be "flopy" yes a bit of movment, but generally if there is alot of play and or a metal clunking noise then your bushes maybe stuffed. New disk. Alot of aftermarket ones avaliable.:busted:

• jays22b

Posted September 21, 2009 - 01:55 AM

I wouldnt say they are meant to be "flopy" yes a bit of movment, but generally if there is alot of play and or a metal clunking noise then your bushes maybe stuffed. New disk. Alot of aftermarket ones avaliable.:busted:

Yeah thanks mate, I think it moves too much i find it hard to believe nobody can give up a way off checking wheter there's too much play in it.
I can only see the play it has now only getting worse ever ride i do, so i might have a play with this disc and see how little play it needs to be a floating disc.Close up the floating points as much as i can. worse case i buy i new disc.:thumbsup:

when i take the disc to work i might sparks it and see what the disc is made off. If anyone wants to know pm me and will send test through. got a AU3million dollar tester at work and i love seeing what steels are made off.:banana:

• gruberyz

Posted September 21, 2009 - 09:08 AM

Just reached over in the toy hauler and grabbed my 07 YZ front rotor I would say it has half an inch of play measured at the end of the rotor or say 14.mm

My 09 KX250 same way. Wifes 09 honda is fixed does not flex

• jays22b

Posted September 22, 2009 - 01:39 AM

Just reached over in the toy hauler and grabbed my 07 YZ front rotor I would say it has half an inch of play measured at the end of the rotor or say 14.mm

My 09 KX250 same way. Wifes 09 honda is fixed does not flex

That is a large amount off play compared too mine, This play in the front disc would have to effect the braking ability, finding it hard to believe it is a good setup.

What was the advantage off being floating disc. Sports cars dont have em, any other braking system I've ever seen on anything keeps away from this style?

Would it be possible to use a solid version off this disc? The back disc is solid and performs great.

• gruberyz

Posted September 22, 2009 - 06:48 AM

I'm guessing you don't hit many things with your front disc when you ride. I've crammed front end into rocks and logs and disc just goes back to center when you come off. Also they claim under hard braking it isolates resonance from the rotor to the hub resulting in no brake squeal or vibration. For what it's worth never had a warped rotor on a floating setup unlike my CR's of old

• grayracer513

Posted September 22, 2009 - 08:29 AM

The true purpose of floating the rotor on its center is to allow it to heat and cool without the thermal expansion leading to warpage and distortion of the center. It's quite common with light gauge, large diameter rotors.

• jays22b

Posted September 22, 2009 - 02:55 PM

The true purpose of floating the rotor on its center is to allow it to heat and cool without the thermal expansion leading to warpage and distortion of the center. It's quite common with light gauge, large diameter rotors.

fair enough, gap should close up when the disc gets warm. Not enough to cause warpage or resonance from the rotor. got it and will leave it the way it is.

Thanks for the feedback

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.