Which Dual Sport?

11 replies to this topic
  • bboxall

Posted September 18, 2009 - 02:50 PM

Background:
I'm 6' 1" 210 lbs., 47 years old. I've been riding since around 1970. I've had 2 stroke Husqvarnas, Suzuki DRZ-400E & 400S, Suzuki Hayabusa and 1200 Bandit.

Here are the bikes I'm considering:
1) KTM 530EXC - it has everything I want but I was hoping for EFI, light weight.
+very little to buy for it except a larger gas tank, rejet, and heavier springs
-worried about reliability and frequent maintenance requirements, very small oil capacity, parts availability
2) Husqvarna TE 510 - it has everything I want including EFI, don't know what it weighs, can't get response from Husqvarna to send or download specs.
+would need heavier springs, larger tank (issue with EFI on aftermarket tank?)
-worried about reliability and durability, parts availability
3) Suzuki DRZ-400S - alot cheaper but heavy, no inverted fork, dated design, carb.
+parts very available, lots of aftermarket stuff
(Rumor of RMX-450... but may not be street legal)
4) Yamaha WR250R - seems too small and buzzy - if they would just dual sport the WR450 with EFI ---- SOLD!

Any others I should look at?
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• shrubitup

Posted September 19, 2009 - 10:01 AM

Background:
I'm 6' 1" 210 lbs., 47 years old. I've been riding since around 1970. I've had 2 stroke Husqvarnas, Suzuki DRZ-400E & 400S, Suzuki Hayabusa and 1200 Bandit.

Here are the bikes I'm considering:
1) KTM 530EXC - it has everything I want but I was hoping for EFI, light weight.
+very little to buy for it except a larger gas tank, rejet, and heavier springs
-worried about reliability and frequent maintenance requirements, very small oil capacity, parts availability
2) Husqvarna TE 510 - it has everything I want including EFI, don't know what it weighs, can't get response from Husqvarna to send or download specs.
+would need heavier springs, larger tank (issue with EFI on aftermarket tank?)
-worried about reliability and durability, parts availability
3) Suzuki DRZ-400S - alot cheaper but heavy, no inverted fork, dated design, carb.
+parts very available, lots of aftermarket stuff
(Rumor of RMX-450... but may not be street legal)
4) Yamaha WR250R - seems too small and buzzy - if they would just dual sport the WR450 with EFI ---- SOLD!

Any others I should look at?
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Have tried:

XT225, KLR250, DR650, KLR650, XR650L, XR650R (definite favorite but highly illegal on the road here :banana:), DRZ400, etc.

I absolutely HATE dual sports for a commuter bike. The braking, handling, and ergonomics are piss poor and I feel that they're unsafe on the road for avoiding jackass drivers. Solution for me for a commuter bike: SV650. :busted:

The WR250R/X is a stupid bike for a grown large male IMO. If you just want a trail connector that does well off road a Husqvarna TE is very tough to beat as-is the XR650R IF you can get it plated and keep it plated in your state. All else have too many compromises to make them worthwhile to own IMO and YMMV. :thumbsup:

• bboxall

Posted September 19, 2009 - 11:43 AM

I left out the '90 DR650 I had... pretty good bike but too heavy and the front forks were too weak for the weight of the bike - blew a couple of sets of fork seals. Engine was fantastic and good gravel fire road and pavement manners.

• shrubitup

Posted September 19, 2009 - 12:17 PM

I left out the '90 DR650 I had... pretty good bike but too heavy and the front forks were too weak for the weight of the bike - blew a couple of sets of fork seals. Engine was fantastic and good gravel fire road and pavement manners.

Ya, my DR was nice too BUT at 6'2" and at your 6'1" you'll learn these ergos are designed for Napoleons or women. :banana:

The power on that DR was great but needed to be a bigger bike. That's why the best of the bunch for me was the XR650R. Comfy, stretched out bike! :busted: But highly illegal still. :thumbsup:

• bboxall

Posted September 19, 2009 - 05:26 PM

I also forgot to list the XR650R has a possibility but I have never ridden one. Durability to the MAX! and all kinds of aftermarket accessories available.

I'm trying to stay as 'light' as possible... 250 - 275 lb. like the KTM or Husky.
I'm scared that the WR250R will not have enough low end grunt - I know the power is there, more power than I am rider but I like the low rpm pull, especially in the single track tough stuff.

• MOTOPHILE

Posted September 19, 2009 - 05:33 PM

The WR250R/X is a stupid bike for a grown large male IMO.

I thought so too on way home from the dealer. Had me worried.
But add some goodies and do some mods...

I am a 6'1" 200lb stupid male. I like it.
Best maintenance interval of all bikes mentioned too.

• shrubitup

Posted September 19, 2009 - 06:26 PM

No offense to you and I thought of you earlier - but all those mods make the WR250R sorta pricey. They're letting Husqvarna 2009 TE250s go for $5299 here. No mods required. Yes, more service intervals but amazing motor with no mods required 'cept for uncorking.

• MOTOPHILE

Posted September 19, 2009 - 06:34 PM

No offense taken. I would love a 2T Husky 125 dual sport. It's a tough compromise, but I think KTM has the best dual sports. Never ridden a 610 Husky though either...

• JPitman0004

Posted September 25, 2009 - 08:20 AM

Do you find the bike hard to ride wheelies, cause im 6'1 225, and wondering if i want the drz or the wrr.

• MOTOPHILE

Posted September 25, 2009 - 02:45 PM

Do you find the bike hard to ride wheelies, cause im 6'1 225, and wondering if i want the drz or the wrr.

No not really. But I think wheelies would be easier on a DRZ400. If you have good balance it is no prob. My longest ones I usually pop it up in 2nd, keep it there through 3rd, but in 4th it takes some skills over engine muscle to keep it there. But I am not the best wheelier out there. I am sure someone could keep it there forever...

• Dagwood_55

Posted September 25, 2009 - 05:11 PM

How about a BMW 650XChallange, Big enough for a little highway, small enought for a little trail, EFI, priced right and a lot more. I love mine.

• jon_l

Posted September 28, 2009 - 04:03 AM

Thanks!

Some info here:
http://www.totalmoto...varna-TE510.htm

Related Content

Reviews

Honda CRF125FB Big Wheel 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF125FB Big Wheel 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

best looking trail bike. by pain99

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  258 replies
Forums
Photo

Let's see pics of your exotic bikes by dirtwiz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Exotics
  • Hot  796 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF150F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF150F 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda CRF80F 2013 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF80F 2013
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.