How to put clip on masterlink. d.i.d. o-ring chain.

12 replies to this topic
  • TakeTheSafetyOff

Posted September 18, 2009 - 12:22 PM

i just bought a d.i.d oring chain and i cant get the damn clip on. in the past ive had no trouble with regular chains. but i cant seem to figure out the o-ring chain. whenver i try to use pliers it just falls off. what am i doing wrong? help!

• SlowSpokes

Posted September 18, 2009 - 12:36 PM

Some of the o-ring chains are a little tricky. Most of the ones I've dealt with, it's almost like you have to press the side plate on. I have one of those fancy ass Motion Pro widgets that works really good for this, but I've used just regular chain breakers many times. And actually, a small c-clamp will work fine too. Just find a small socket that is bigger than the pin hole, use the c-clamp, and you can kinda go back and forth, and "walk" it on. Just make sure you don't press the side plate on by squeezing in the middle of the link. Some of the different brand's pin holes are so tight, that you can actually bend the link, if you press in the middle.

Good luck.

• DoctorRzed

Posted September 18, 2009 - 12:37 PM

take a c-clamp and press the chain link together so it is compressed enough. The loosen the c-clamp enough to fit the clip behind it. I usuallt then just use a screwdriver and tap it on. The c clamp prevent it from slipping / falling off when you are trying to clip it.

• CamP

Posted September 18, 2009 - 01:48 PM

O-ring chains require a chain press to install the master link. If you don't use the proper tool you will have problems.

• joman2055

Posted September 18, 2009 - 01:52 PM

O-ring chains require a chain press to install the master link. If you don't use the proper tool you will have problems.

not true. if you have a rivet type master link you need to use a special chain tool. but if you have a clip type, some creativity and some pliers/screwdrivers will get you going.

• Bulldogr6

Posted September 18, 2009 - 02:21 PM

not true. if you have a rivet type master link you need to use a special chain tool. but if you have a clip type, some creativity and some pliers/screwdrivers will get you going.

Yea but is so easy with the correct tool and you will never mess it up or press it on too much so it binds.

• David C

Posted September 18, 2009 - 02:53 PM

Might be to late now, but get one of these. Everyone that uses clip style should have one in the toolbox.

http://www.rockymoun...odFamilyId=3002

• TakeTheSafetyOff

Posted September 19, 2009 - 06:48 PM

got that tricky bastard on. broke first clip had to buy a new one. but I needed was some elbow grease not a fancy tool.

• steve o 77

Posted September 19, 2009 - 06:57 PM

I use needle nose vice grips to compress the plates together, then quickly remove the vice grips and get the clip on before the rubber o rings go back to their original shape.

• CamP

Posted September 19, 2009 - 08:08 PM

got that tricky bastard on. broke first clip had to buy a new one. but I needed was some elbow grease not a fancy tool.

Considering that you broke the first one, it sounds like you needed a fancy tool. :busted:

• TakeTheSafetyOff

Posted September 20, 2009 - 04:32 AM

price of tool= $10 + $8 s&h=$18 plus having to wait a week.

price of clip= $1. and no waiting.
I'll go with the clip.

• Chase55

Posted September 20, 2009 - 04:54 AM

Clean the master link real well and get rid of any oily residue, and spooge some good gasket sealer over the clip. Keeps the clip from popping off.

• D-K

Posted September 20, 2009 - 08:48 AM

In a pinch (pun), you can use a 6mm (1/4") nut over the side plate and press it on with a big pair of pliers. Works every time and does not hurt anything.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

what should i buy? 230f or 250x? by offroad circus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250X
  • Hot  25 replies
Forums
Photo

How can I determine if a 2002 CR250 motor will fit, with slight mods, into a 1995 CR250 frame? by 5th gear tapped wide

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

99 Cr125r not running correctly by josephduckworth

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 2 replies
Reviews

KTM 450 EXC 2006 by FoxRocks

KTM 450 EXC 2006
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wheel differences between the 230L and 230F? by phillidius

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.