Yz450f 07 ???

8 replies to this topic
  • mxdude1986

Posted September 18, 2009 - 11:01 AM

Hey guys i'm about to buy a yz450f 07 with about 20 hrs on bike, bike still looks brand new and has a fmf 4.1 titanium full exhaust in it. The rest is all stock. My question is are there any common problems with that year on the yzf and also anything in particular I need to look for it on the bike? Also does 3600 seem like a fair price? :busted:

• FinchFan194

Posted September 18, 2009 - 11:15 AM

Be sure to ask about maintenance specifically oil changes they should be done every 2 to 3 hours.

• motox88

Posted September 18, 2009 - 02:13 PM

2 to 3 hrs would be just about every ride. A bit extreme. I'd say with 20hrs maybe 3 and at least 2 oil changes.

I have an 07 and never had any issues with mine. I'd ask about the jetting since it has a pipe and ask if the valves have ever been checked. Take the seat off and look at the filter. Will let you know how well the person took care of the bike.

• FinchFan194

Posted September 18, 2009 - 04:01 PM

2 to 3 hrs would be just about every ride. A bit extreme. I'd say with 20hrs maybe 3 and at least 2 oil changes.

I have an 07 and never had any issues with mine. I'd ask about the jetting since it has a pipe and ask if the valves have ever been checked. Take the seat off and look at the filter. Will let you know how well the person took care of the bike.

You must not hold your bike wide open very often? 2 to 3 hours is pretty standard with everyone I know remember your oil isn't seperate from the drivetrain so it breaks down a lot quicker.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2009 - 04:34 PM

Most brand new YZF's need the steering head regreased along with the swing arm and shock linkage. The factory is rather, um, "sparing" with grease.

You might also want to look into an OEM replacement for the upper steering head bearing, new version with the integral seal.

Air filters depend on your environment, but around here, I HAVE to change them out for a clean one every ride day. HAVE to.

Oil changes depend on the oil you use. If you cheap out, change it every ride, or you'll be using a 10W-25 instead of a 10W-40. If you get something more durable, you can go 2-3 ride days.

http://www.thumperta...432#post2685432

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted September 19, 2009 - 12:15 PM

Most brand new YZF's need the steering head regreased along with the swing arm and shock linkage. The factory is rather, um, "sparing" with grease.

You might also want to look into an OEM replacement for the upper steering head bearing, new version with the integral seal.

Air filters depend on your environment, but around here, I HAVE to change them out for a clean one every ride day. HAVE to.

Oil changes depend on the oil you use. If you cheap out, change it every ride, or you'll be using a 10W-25 instead of a 10W-40. If you get something more durable, you can go 2-3 ride days.

http://www.thumperta...432#post2685432

Ain't THAT the ever-lovin' truth. That's about the only problem I've ever seen or heard of on the 07's (like mine).

• jays22b

Posted September 19, 2009 - 01:45 PM

Same as gray said , i own one and just done the full rebuild off bearings, head stem through to swing arm. About to do front wheel bearings for second time (the sealed versions didnt last much longer). U do the bearings and get a basic rebuild of shockers and it will be like new..

My motor and box has been great, i notice when clutch is warm after awhile but u get that on race bikes. Never touched bottom end yet. rings & valves only. due for another check soon.

• mgilbert15

Posted September 21, 2009 - 04:21 AM

Did you get the bike? $3600 seems real fair to me. Mine has been super reliable.

• Polar_Bus

Posted September 21, 2009 - 08:23 AM

If you have a virgin Yamaha YZanything, AND you like a pressure washer, be prepared to replace every bearing and bushing on the bike. Like others commented, Yamaha uses a miniscule amount of crack jelly, upon initial assembly. If you don't tear the bike completely down while it's still relatively new, water (especially pressurized water) will quickly corrode and destroy all those expensive bearings. I did a complete teardown on my '02 WR250, my buddies '03 450, and '06 450, and lastly my '07. I like to mix Bel-Ray grease with anti-seeze 50/50 and thereafter the bearings need far less maintenence...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.