Synthetic Oil

I'm thinking about using Synthetic Oil in my 426 for its obvious benefits. Has anyone tried synthetic oil and would you recommend it for a horsepower and protection gain? Just wondering.

Originally posted by Tonyw:

I'm thinking about using Synthetic Oil in my 426 for its obvious benefits. Has anyone tried synthetic oil and would you recommend it for a horsepower and protection gain? Just wondering.

Synthetic Oil is not recommended. The word is that you will actually lose power, due to clutch slippage, as the clutch is lubricated in the same oil. Just change your oil as recommended. Most owners are changing the oil after every race/long ride and changing the filter every third ride. Anyone else with input?

Originally posted by Tonyw:

I use Castrol GPS (semi syn) and it is great.

Comes out alot cleaner than the **** Yamalube 4R which is a VERY low rated mineral.

Have had no clutch problems and I also supply about 4 other guys who ride 4st and use the stuff with good results.

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Rubber Chicken Racing

I have switched to Modil 1 from YaMALUBE 4r. tHE 4R was broken down, black crap after 2 good long rides but the Mobil 1 has stood the test much better. I wold feel comfortable getting 3 good long rides with the Mobil 1. I can not tell a difference in power and there are no problems that it creates witht he clutch that I have seen. Also the oil filter is removable and cleanable no need to buy a new one unless it is damaged.

josh

I'm going to Mobil 1 as well on my next oil change. The 15w50 is the one to use, as it has no energy conserving additives that would be bad for the clutch. I've heard of a lot of people using it with very good results. I think it offers superior lubrication as opposed to petroleum based oils, and seems to have no adverse effects. There has been many a debate on this issue, but IMHO Mobil 1 15w50 is good stuff.

Although I am new on this list, my experience on the street has been......usually the bike manufactures design the clutch to hold up to stock power. In this case you might be OK to go with Synthetic oil. However DO NOT go back and forth between Synthetic and Dyno juice (petrol oil)!!! Synthetic has a different effect on the oil seals. If you change, stay with it. Personally in all my bikes I use Mobil Delvac 1300 super 15/40. This is a oil that was developed for big trucks, but also has a transmission/gear rating. It works great with no clutch problems. The best part about it is that it is cheap (locally it is $4.50 gal), so you can afford to change it often. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Rich-

We can't buy a worse oil here in NZ than Yamalube. Its only a SG or something rated.

We pay $16nz ($8us) a liter for it and shitty car oils with the same raing are $10 for 4l ($5us)

I though it was **** ..

I don't use the clutch bugger all and after 2 rides it was BLACK!

Castrol GPS (semi syn)and 5 rides later its heaps better than the 4R.

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Rubber Chicken Racing