Posted April 08, 2003 - 06:53 PM

• live_to_ride

Posted April 08, 2003 - 07:56 PM

That's a pretty good review that exactly echos my opinion. :D

Damn...... I want a wr. :) :D

Chris :D

• Chaindrive

Posted April 09, 2003 - 02:36 AM

Me too!!! :D Except they forgot to mention that it is a mere hair's-breadth and the additional weight of an aluminum license plate from being a truly complete do-it-all bike if it only came street-legal so that those trails it shines on could be connected seamlessly... :) Suzuki DR-what? :D Who would buy one of those if they could have one of these..? :D

• David_Gronlund

Posted April 09, 2003 - 09:08 AM

Did anybody else notice that the starter was in front of the cylinder of the WR450 tested instead of behind the cylinder like on our bikes? :)

Check out page-3

• Jonesy920

Posted April 09, 2003 - 09:21 AM

I noticed too. Man I wonder what the production # was, an early model or late model.. Maybe they already have a fix for the dreaded Woodruff Key, and we just need to get the new motor upgrade :)

• Wrench

Posted April 09, 2003 - 09:25 AM

most likely that's a pic of the wr250f motor. Page 4 shows the starter is in the rear position.

• ThumperWR450F

Posted April 09, 2003 - 09:36 AM

i don't know about anyone else but if i hit that 1/4 " red button they kept talkin about i'd be pissed off when riding. that's the KILL switch. the E-START is grey !! i think they got there colors wrong. :)

• WR450F_RDR

Posted April 09, 2003 - 09:44 AM

hnmm. I havent checked my production number but the starter motor is in the same place on the bike tested as on my bike.

• HighPlainsWR

Posted April 09, 2003 - 10:14 AM

Excellent article, worth bookmarking. Thanks for the XWZ on that article. Only on TT can you find posts like this !

• The_Blue_One

Posted April 09, 2003 - 11:12 AM

Which do you mean in the front or back of the cylinder?

Overall it is a good article.I wonder if they pulled the gray wire and baffle.In one pic it looks like the baffle is still in. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • David_Gronlund

Posted April 09, 2003 - 11:12 AM

hnmm. I havent checked my production number but the starter motor is in the same place on the bike tested as on my bike.

Really, when did you take possesion of your bike?

• The_Blue_One

Posted April 09, 2003 - 11:16 AM

I also see the clutch cable is routed like the 426 not like the 450s that i've seen.I think it is a preproduction bike. :)

• Jim_bo

Posted April 09, 2003 - 11:21 AM

I liked the article also. It seemed pretty unbiased as opposed to some I have read.

Are you guys saying there are two different starter layouts for the WR450??? Does that coorelate at all to the woodruff key issue? That's really interesting.

• ThumperWR450F

Posted April 09, 2003 - 04:22 PM

ok everyone i am gonna put an end to the whole 2 different motor set ups right now. PROOF !! the motor you are seeing in the article is a WR250. so stop speculating guys.

• SBG

Posted April 09, 2003 - 05:07 PM

They recently did a side by side with the 250 and 450 and the engine pic just came from that test. It's the 250.

• Tony426

Posted April 09, 2003 - 06:02 PM

In my humble opinion tests like this are of great interest to alot of buyers , but rarely do magezines set them up this way , I think alot of people thinking of buying a bike would also like to see the WR 450 compared to the 250.

• ddialogue

Posted April 10, 2003 - 03:12 AM

I noticed in the article they mentioned the WR "doesn't have the arm wrenching torque of the YZ450". HUH??? :D They made no mention of the fact they were riding it with the GYT-R muffler insert installed (as seen in several of the photos.) This could explain why they felt this way because the inserts mellow it out a lot. Good article overall, though. THANKS! :)

• Bamster

Posted April 10, 2003 - 03:25 AM

Good read. I think thats a pic of the WR 250 with the starter at the front.

• David_Gronlund

Posted April 10, 2003 - 05:33 AM

You guys are right about the engine on page-3 being that of a 250, sorry. I didn't mean to start anything. I didn't realize the 250 was different than the 450. Good test though. I wonder how many mods they did if any. The WR is kinda a pig when its bone stock. I bet most of ours will out run their stock YZF450 in all power ranges.

• endurodog

Posted April 10, 2003 - 09:48 AM

I noticed in the article they mentioned the WR "doesn't have the arm wrenching torque of the YZ450".

I got to ride a YZ450, the thing is like a CR500, I was on a MX track and was still intimidated. I picked my WR450 up 1 1/2 weeks ago and got to race it this last weekend. There is no way it pulls like a YZ, thank god. I can't imagine holding on to that YZ for a whole enduro, I would end up part of the landscape.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.