2000 WR 400 F Any notorious Probs?

9 replies to this topic
  • Sapphire

Posted September 17, 2009 - 08:48 PM

I haven't taken the time to search through all the threads. in the last year researching bikes, I've found that some bikes have "notorious" issues... Does anyone know if this bike has any big probs? Just found a good deal on one and want to learn more about them. WIll be doing some reading!

Thanks much,

E

• vfr661

Posted September 17, 2009 - 09:34 PM

I recently bought a used 2000 WR400 and had no issues other than the initial carburetor setup. Make sure the condition of the bike is in good working condition b4 you buy it. With used bikes you won't know the history of the bike until you buy it.

• Sapphire

Posted September 17, 2009 - 10:16 PM

If the bike is in decent condition... does $1500 sound reasonable? I know markets vary across the nation...this is in Montana...

Thanks,
e

• Thermos O flask

Posted September 18, 2009 - 03:49 AM

I have noticed ,that i cant get off mine!:busted:

• Sapphire

Posted September 18, 2009 - 04:40 AM

:thumbsup: Thats what I like to hear! :busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pablo83

Posted September 18, 2009 - 09:05 AM

$1500 for a WR400 in good condition would be an excellent price here in CO. Between carb and suspension adjustments, there are a lot of things to set up for individual riders. These will take a long time and a lot of research if you don't know how to adjust them. Once you have it set up for your riding style you will love it.

The bike is tough to kill on the trails, but requires a patient mechanic for regular maintainance. It's easy to strip threads and mis-assemble some bits like the carb. The bikes also fequently suffer from oil starvation to the head after major engine work is done. I've owned 2 WRF's and 2 YZF's. All of them have had damage caused by poor mechanics. They are very capable machines, but I would not let anyone else work on them (even the dealership). You'll want a good manual and tools if you plan to keep the bike in excellent condition.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 18, 2009 - 11:39 AM

My 99' WR400 had a "notorious issue".... It kept wanting to rip my arms out of the sockets!:busted:

I am on my 5th WR right now, I have had a 400, 426 and 3 450's..... none of them hit as hard as the 400:thumbsup:

• pablo83

Posted September 18, 2009 - 12:28 PM

My 99' WR400 had a "notorious issue".... It kept wanting to rip my arms out of the sockets!:busted:

I am on my 5th WR right now, I have had a 400, 426 and 3 450's..... none of them hit as hard as the 400:thumbsup:

I think you're right. I only have experiance with the 400's and 426's, but I think the steel-valve 400's pull harder than the Ti-valve 426's. I compaired the exhaust cams from a '99 WR400 and an '03 WR450, and the 400's was 1mm taller.

• vfr661

Posted September 18, 2009 - 01:09 PM

If the bike is in decent condition... does $1500 sound reasonable? I know markets vary across the nation...this is in Montana...

Thanks,
e

If the bike is in good working condition and you don't have to do anything else but ride it then it's a decent price. I bought my wr400 9 months ago for a little less but I had to change the sprockets/chain plus have to do some work with the carb before I got it to run the way I want.

• Alternative

Posted September 19, 2009 - 04:51 AM

They are very capable machines, but I would not let anyone else work on them (even the dealership). You'll want a good manual and tools if you plan to keep the bike in excellent condition.

+1. I wouldn't let anyone work on my WR426, especially the dealer. They do require a bit of maintenance but it's well worth it :busted:.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.