Hardshifting...

4 replies to this topic
  • Ridon

Posted September 17, 2009 - 12:41 AM

Yesterday i noticed that it's very difficult to shift. I'm in first gear pulling the clutch and shift for 2nd but i'm still in 1st, i have to put more power to shift and i don't know why. This is the first time that happens ,the bike used to shift really easy. I use the same oil since i bought the bike(Belray thumper) with no such problems. Is it something else?

• grayracer513

Posted September 17, 2009 - 08:27 AM

Two things come to mind:

First is that the clutch may be dragging. You would know if this were it by the fact that the bike would pull forward while at a standstill with the clutch lever held in, and would be extremely difficult to get into neutral.

The second is a bad bearing on the main shaft. This causes the shaft to be hard to turn, and keeps enough load on whichever gear is engaged to make it hard to disengage it for the shift. This can also be due to a partially seixed gear on either shaft.

To check that, start by turning the rear wheel in neutral. If it seems normally free, the free gears on the main shaft are probably OK.

Then, remove the clutch cover and pull the plates out of the clutch. Try to turn the main shaft by hand. If it drags or feels very rough, you have your problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ridon

Posted September 17, 2009 - 12:10 PM

To check that, start by turning the rear wheel in neutral. If it seems normally free, the free gears on the main shaft are probably OK.

Well i noticed last week that the rear wheel didn't turn as freely as it used to:thinking: ...

• Sider_steve

Posted September 17, 2009 - 12:42 PM

Yesterday i noticed that it's very difficult to shift. I'm in first gear pulling the clutch and shift for 2nd but i'm still in 1st, i have to put more power to shift and i don't know why. This is the first time that happens ,the bike used to shift really easy. I use the same oil since i bought the bike(Belray thumper) with no such problems. Is it something else?

Also make sure your shift lever is tight on the shaft.
Sometimes the bolt loosens up.

• Ridon

Posted September 18, 2009 - 06:55 AM

Well i was really lucky this time and the shift shaft wasn't bend, as i was afraid of. The chain was a little bit tight and the shift lever bolt was loosened up a bit. Shifting is easy as it should now. Thank you for your replies you've been very helpfull.:busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.