rear sag 107mm

4 replies to this topic
  • jays22b

Posted September 17, 2009 - 12:08 AM

07 yz450fw , being riding in forest and now on a track. The rear sag is 107mm and i notice on a video we shot last ride that the back is nearly full compression a a jump or too. So i plan to get it at 90mm with 25-30mm static. The spring rates should be close to my weight ,

So with this model do these figures sound ok or anyone else got better figures to follow. I want to set in once and learn that style.
Also to make up the 17 mm sag how many turns on the spring nut would u go?

• DeeCee

Posted September 17, 2009 - 01:16 AM

Rule of thumb is 1/3rd travel for sag. Usually this works out around 100 mm. Static sag should be 25-35 mm.

107 is probably too soft for the track. 90 may be too hard as it will lift the rear and speed up your steering. This make be OK for the rtack you are riding but you could experience some headshake at speed. If you do experience headshake try 100mm and see how the bike handles.

As for the number of turns, best to just keep adjusting until you get the required setting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted September 17, 2009 - 04:41 AM

I find that approx 2mm is for one full turn. Don't quote me on that since I always check and recheck even after one turn.

Six mm is .25 inches.

• grayracer513

Posted September 17, 2009 - 09:00 AM

For best cornering the sag on an '07 needs to be at around 95-97, and the forks should be up 5-7mm in the clamps.

Set the race sag, then check the free sag to see if the spring rate is right:

http://www.tootechra...pension Tip.htm

The rear suspension should bottom on the hardest impact you take, otherwise you aren't getting the benefit of full travel.

• jays22b

Posted September 17, 2009 - 12:07 PM

For best cornering the sag on an '07 needs to be at around 95-97, and the forks should be up 5-7mm in the clamps.

Set the race sag, then check the free sag to see if the spring rate is right:

http://www.tootechra...pension Tip.htm

The rear suspension should bottom on the hardest impact you take, otherwise you aren't getting the benefit of full travel.

thanks gray, thats what i was after, i will set it to thous figure and learn from that.

Also yamalink thanks for your input, makes learning easy with you guys around.:busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.