'98 YZ400 Throttle hesitation question

10 replies to this topic
  • wilson

Posted April 02, 2000 - 07:07 PM

Just bought a '98 YZ400, the bike has about 30 hours on it and is stock except for a smaller countershaft sprocket and a 10 ounch flywheel weight. Sometimes when I blip the throttle it bogs for a split second and then kicks in. I guess you could say it has an intermittent hesitation. Any ideas what this might be?
I didn't know what I was missing riding a 2 stroke so long, Thumpers forever!

Paul in AZ

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted April 02, 2000 - 07:40 PM

First thing to check is the Accelerator pump.

Pull the loosen the screw that holds the boot for the air box on the back of the carb. Slid the boot off and fold it back so you can see in the carb inlet. Look at in the carb inlet at the bottom of the slide. Don't get your face too close! Now open the throttle while you look in.... You should see a small stream of gas squirting back at you from the bottom right ( as you look in ). If you don't see a stream, you've found the problem. You need to service the pump. Let us know what you find and we'll go from there....

By the way, if you search the archive's you find info on the pumps....

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• wilson

Posted April 03, 2000 - 09:00 PM

Thanks Chris, I'll try to take a look at it later this week and let you know what I find. I review the archives as well.

Paul in AZ

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 09, 2000 - 11:38 AM

I have a 99 yz 400 that is also basically stock with the same problem except that it will not only hesitate, but also quit when the throttle is hit wuickly. I've checked my accelator pump, adjusted the valves, tried to jet the carb (173 main moved the needle clip in several position), checked the TPS, etc. I don't know what else to do.
Can anyone help?

Nick

• James_Dean

Posted April 09, 2000 - 11:58 AM

The most common fix for the hesitation at low speeds is to: 1)try backing out the fuel mixture screw 2)try a richer pilot jet 3)try a richer needle, by incrementing the last letter on the needle code by 2 letters down(DVR to DVP) or (DVP to DVM)

The presumption here is everything is working correctly and you are observing a lean hesitation. See the owners manual for more details and optional needles with part numbers.

James Dean

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wilson

Posted April 10, 2000 - 07:31 AM

James Dean, do you have any idea on how far the fuel mixture screw should be backed out?

Thanks,
Paul in AZ

• James_Dean

Posted April 10, 2000 - 04:19 PM

Wilson, if you have a 45 pilot and DVR needle, try 2 1/4 to 2 3/4. Most guys with YZ's on the web site are switching to a 48 pilot and either the DVP or DTM needle.
James Dean

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted April 10, 2000 - 06:35 PM

Paul,

You've made sure the pump is working, right?
The pump on the '98's has an exposed shaft, the shaft sticks or crap works in to the diaphram an stops the pump from working, this is REAL common on the '98's.

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• jj

Posted April 10, 2000 - 09:35 PM

Hey Guys!

I ride WR but I figured I'd see what you guys are doing over here. Keep it in the family...

I wanted to add my 2 cents to your problem. I just had the exact same problem. My bike periodically would die as soon as I hit the throttle from an idle. I also thought it was a lan condition, but I was very hesitant to change anything because the bike had run perfectly until this point. So...I went home changed the oil, cleaned the fuel filter and cleaned the carb. I also did one other curious thing. I had recently read in one of the bike rags that said if you keep your gas in a plastic container for more than about two weeks you can really loose fuel quality. The only way to get more storage time is to store your gas in a metal can. So I replaced the gas and guess what...the damn thing runs perfect. I can't tell you which of the changes made the difference, but I ain't bithcin. Change your oil, clean your filter, clean your air filter, and put new gas in your tank. Hey what could it hurt...

JJ in WA

• 40+

Posted December 18, 2001 - 07:02 PM

Originally posted by James Dean:
The most common fix for the hesitation at low speeds is to: 1)try backing out the fuel mixture screw 2)try a richer pilot jet 3)try a richer needle, by incrementing the last letter on the needle code by 2 letters down(DVR to DVP) or (DVP to DVM)

The presumption here is everything is working correctly and you are observing a lean hesitation. See the owners manual for more details and optional needles with part numbers.

James Dean

James Dean:
After working out all the kinks w/my WR250F via TTalk, I thought i'd try to get the old girl('99 YZ400F-bone stock)running right. Your old post seems to be where I need to start to solve the throttle hesitation, bog, when first cracking the throttle or coming out of turns, and jumping that plagued the '99 model. Or, is it a P38 mod I need or what ? A search didn't turn up much. Do you have any more to add on this topic ?

• chepy

Posted December 20, 2001 - 06:18 PM

New 98 yzf 400 owner, new to this website as well. I noticed the hesitation problem
the first time I test rode my bike. If I crack the
throttle wide open, it will just kill it! Other than that, it rips! Ive been told that this isnt
a jetting problem(per say) Its the accellerater
pump,?..and theres an after market fix for it?
Its pumping to much gas too quick...? or not enough-lean? Obviously we all have it! four strokes have always had a little "lag" when you
hit the throttle.....but it shouldnt kill the motor!( dirt thumpers have never had accel-pumps
before) and maybe its just not right.

There are some articles by Brian kinney?B.K.?
that I found,discussing this problem-and how to fix it( limiting the accel pump stroke) I havent
done it yet,I just took it apart and came in to
read it again. Theres another fix for the 426s,?
I dont know what it is,(I think accel pump also)
that they call the B.K. mod ? and everybody loves
it.
Then again,I just got this bike,so,...
I dont know fer shur
motohed clothing

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.