Clicking sound

11 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 16, 2000 - 07:53 AM

I have a YZ426 and have recently noticed that there is a light clicking sound coming from, I think, the left side of the engine when I first start out to ride. After riding for a while I don't notice it any more. It only seems to happen when starting in first gear for the first time of the day. Has anyone else experienced this? Should this be cause for alarm or am I just hearing normal stuff.

• Mech

Posted February 16, 2000 - 10:34 PM

It the clicking sound coming from the air box?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 16, 2000 - 11:14 AM

I don't think so, why? It sounds like it's around the engine. I'm not completely certain though, it's kind of of hard to ride with my head hanging down near the engine.

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted February 16, 2000 - 12:17 PM

Exhaust leak or maybe time for a valve adjustment?

When you find it be sure to let us know what it was.

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 16, 2000 - 04:53 PM

Sounds like your machine is in need of a valve adjustment. How many hours do you have on the engine?

Originally posted by J.B.:
I don't think so, why? It sounds like it's around the engine. I'm not completely certain though, it's kind of of hard to ride with my head hanging down near the engine.

• jasonmcc

Posted February 17, 2000 - 02:47 AM

Yeah Its deffinately your valves, my 1999 wr400 is doing it too. I havent had my valve clearances checked for a while. Going to get it done the same time i get the yz timing

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 17, 2000 - 06:49 AM

My best guess was also that it must be the valves but since it only does it when I first start off, I wasn't sure. I have about 15 hours on it. I guess I better get off my ass and have the valves checked. Obviously this should be done before much riding right? Do most of you check and adjust the valves yourself or take it to the dealer? Thanks for the replies.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted February 17, 2000 - 11:28 AM

Save yourself a lot of money and learn to do it yourself. The manual tells you how to do it. Plus, just ask Bryan about the quality of Dealer work.

• stef wr426

Posted July 31, 2005 - 01:05 PM

check exhaust for leeks and valve clearance,s dont really know what you can hear.you probably sorted it by now.

• biznet1

Posted July 31, 2005 - 02:06 PM

I was having the same sound. What I found is that these bikes are notorious for the primary gear to work loose. I pulled by side case (clutch side) and sure enough it was. From what you've described, it sounds exactly the way mine did. Read over this thread and see what you think.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=241749 scroll down to brucer7's post.
Revised: I guess the link is no good anymore.

• Hick

Posted July 31, 2005 - 07:07 PM

This only happens on the '00, newer 426s don't have this "feature."

• biznet1

Posted August 01, 2005 - 03:32 AM

Are you sure? I thought the lower end was the same, except for the clutch. I wouldn't know though, cause I've only worked on mine. You have to admit, it is a cool feature though. "Automatic drive gear loose" indicator noise.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.