Titanium header pipe repair and guard

4 replies to this topic
  • Moon

Posted April 08, 2003 - 08:00 AM

I am on my second hare scramble with my WR450F and 230 miles. The first race had no rocks but some small cut sapplings on the trail. After the race I noticed three good sized dings in the header pipe. I just completed my second race and the pipe is more than 50% crushed in one spot and I did not crash.
Question 1) Does anyone believe that these header pipes can be repaired like they repair 2 stroke expansion chambers?
Question 2) Does anyone know of any good header pipe guard or protector?

• MOmilkman

Posted April 08, 2003 - 10:59 AM

Heres your answer to question #1

go to "tech articles"
then "Fixing a bent/creased header pipe" :D

Also, I have a question for anyone that has tried motoman393's (may he reast in peace) header fix.

he says to use a old tire tube to seal the header to the plate. If you do this and heat the header up wont the tube start smoking and burning like all get out?

I have a old creased header I want to try this on. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moon

Posted April 08, 2003 - 04:43 PM

Cool. Thanks! If you try it yourself let me know about it. I'm going to look into doing this.

• ddialogue

Posted April 08, 2003 - 05:12 PM

I posted a similar question several weeks ago. A few people mentioned that titanium won't pop back out like steel will and it was recommended that I not perform Motoman's pipe fix procedure. I would, however, be interested to see if it works out for you. I was able to locate a 01 426 header for $25 and that's what we're using now. Here's the link to the other thread:

Bent header pipe

• Moon

Posted April 08, 2003 - 06:25 PM

Thanks. For $40 plus shipping, I think I'm going to try Pacific Crest Pipe repair.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.