Is it really worth it?

54 replies to this topic
  • Yamaha_James

Posted September 19, 2009 - 11:56 AM

I know exactly how you feel, I was there at one point. I did enjoy the ttr-250 up until I sold it, but I constantly felt that I needed something better. The wr450 has never left me wanting more power, ever. In fact, sometimes I ride at places that the power seems like "too much", not uncontrollable, but evident that I've got too much motor under me for that trail. Riding trails in the woods, the bike hardly ever sees more than 1/2 throttle, sometimes 1/4, but as soon as there's a fire road the throttle goes WOT at least for a few seconds. The factor that would tip the scale for me if I were in your situation would be the possibility of making it street legal and using it for transportation. At your age though, insurance might be a bit too expensive. Do plenty of research and see how much of a financial burden the bike would be for you. Take your time and think it thoroughly.

Yeah, well like I said I have all winter to consider it.

• aaronhoutman

Posted September 21, 2009 - 03:12 PM

I busted my wr's radiator the first time I ever road it. I was pissed, but my fault for not taking the time to protect my bike before I rode it. I was too excited to get on it. Fortunatley I was able to send it to Myler's and got it repaired for less than $100. I ordered unibiker gaurds the next day.

WR's are great, just be sure to protect it.

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 21, 2009 - 04:28 PM

I will do my best to protect it, if I get it, for sure! But I was just frustrated because one crash put an end to my riding, my parents are back on the 28th. Then I should beable to get the bike back in shape for a couple weeks of riding before the winter/snowboard season. It wouldn't have been so back if I was eased into the no riding no more, 6-7 days a week ridng, then no more all at once gives you a depressed/withdrawl feeling lol.

• avapxia

Posted September 22, 2009 - 11:08 AM

Someone else also mentioned a WR250 if you are so sold to the brand but the following are wise suggestions. Any of these bikes are a quantum leap from the TT-r, while the 450 based on your excitement of this crash and bike damage tells all of us here you have MUCH to learn yet.
I was in highschool when I first rode my RM125 and now I'm 45, luckily I can still ride, and think my WR450 was a big mistake. I can appreciate it for what it is, but I think unless you are ready to compete seriously it is too much for a play bike. I have already picked up where my KLX300 project was abandoned a few years back to my 450 excitement, as I had much more fun with that bike.
I still park the WR on the trail and look at it being all pretty and impressive, but it is scary fast. I have found myself after nearly 30 years of riding, doing things and going fast enough over things where I know I have fallen and hurt myself really bad, and it magically swallows all this disaster senario up and it is telling you I could have gone over this stuff at twice the speed you woosh!
I have even walked back and looked at an obstacle and told myself there was no way I went over this at this speed and survived to think about it.
But 450s don't do everything for you, experience and more experience does this where iy is working for you without you thinking you have it. It is like second nature.
Those guys at your age when we were yound who were as foolish as you are being now, are not riding anymore. Either they got fed up with pain and expensive injuries or are hurt bad enough they couldn;t throw a leg over the bike any more. Yes back then they went faster.
If you like the look and idea of the bike, and don;t weigh over 250lb, buy a used wr250f and stick a 450 sticker on it. Few can tell anyway. It can still take years and years to be as fast as that 250 can be. Don't let magazines and James Stewart tell you what to do with your life.
And start learning how to fix things on your own. Real riders can take that whole bike into single pieces and back in race ready condition in the evening before the race. If you had the skills and experience you would't even be talking about those repairs. They are like brushing your teeth in the morning.

Before you find offense in what I say, think of all those fools telling you forget that WR get a Husaberg or a KTM 530, they are better. Will they push your wheelchair any faster than I will?

It is not the bike, it is the rider that makes them go fast. If you don;t believe me go find some youtube videos of the early 80s and see how fast you could go with a 125 with 25 year old suspension technology, and how much faster those guys are than you would be on the 450. Look for names like Hannah, Ward, Mikola, Howerton, etc. Wasn't Bailey the one paralized? Hhhmmmm he was fast!

There are a lot of other bikes that would be a real upgrade from your TT-R that you could also consider: KDX-200/220, KLX-300, KTM-200/250, etc.

You can generally find a good, reliable, used bike for a LOT less money if you are willing to do the leg work and to thoroughly inspect the bikes before you buy.

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 22, 2009 - 12:14 PM

Why would I put a 450 sticker on a 250? Thats stupid, sorry but that to me is dumb, and I do know the rider is what makes the bike do what it does, I don not expect the WR to do everything for me, what I DO expect is to not be sitting there yawning at WOT hoping the engine doesn't blow or something, lol. What I would like is a bike with more power when I want it. I am a strong believer in get good then fast, I think I could get used to the bike then get going faster. I don't really know, maybe I'll just sell the TT-R and not get another bike, who knows all I know at this point is that the TT-R isn't as much fun as it used to be, hell at the moment it's no fun at all sitting in my barn :busted:.

• erickdj

Posted September 22, 2009 - 01:34 PM

Have you considered the possibility of a 250f MX bike? Like a yz250f or kx250f? MX 250f's will have plenty of power right when you want it as you say, and would be very lightweight. On top of that, they have very good suspension right out of the crate.

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 22, 2009 - 01:58 PM

Have you considered the possibility of a 250f MX bike? Like a yz250f or kx250f? MX 250f's will have plenty of power right when you want it as you say, and would be very lightweight. On top of that, they have very good suspension right out of the crate.

Yes I have but I've only ever been on the track once in my life, I would end up adding a head light and a tail light anyway, why not just get a WR?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted September 22, 2009 - 03:34 PM

A few reasons.... The yz will have more power out of the crate, and even when put up against a modded wr the yz will still have more snap. The yz is lighter, doesn't get you as tired as the wr does. The yz's suspension is great, a lot of people end up sending their wr suspension to be worked on. The yz can have a headlight and LED tail light run by a lightweight battery, the battery can run the lights for a few hours. Just because it's a track bike doesn't mean it only belongs at a track. I have a yz450f and I find that it works pretty awesome on trails, it's only been at a track a handful of times. Check this out: http://www.thumperta...521#post8518521

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 23, 2009 - 03:58 PM

Note that I am also looking to make the bike street legal, I think a YZ250 would be a very, very poor road bike.

• avapxia

Posted September 23, 2009 - 04:50 PM

Note that I am also looking to make the bike street legal, I think a YZ250 would be a very, very poor road bike.

Any real dirt bike is a poor street bike. First of all they don't have a cush-drive (the rubber stuff behind sprockets that takes the vibrations and jolts out of the driveline) which means prolonged street use will destroy the gear box.
Real dirt riding requires pressures of 12-16psi, to do so you must have rim locks. At less than 13-14 the 450 will twist the tire and cut the tube without one. Some people drill the rear wheel and install a second rim lock. With rim locks the vibration, especially on the front is very intense above 40mph to the point the front fender wants to fall off. And you are looking at traffic from high above.
At that speed the 250 is just as good as a Husaberg 550. If it rains all of a sudden and you are on the street with a WR450 and there is traffic it is best to pull over and wait for it to clear up, either the rain or the traffic, because the first fool that will cut you off you will hit him/her like you had no brakes.
Dual sport is really a compromise to the point it is either a street bike or a dirt bike that can never be both.
We all know by now you are so sold to the idea that you will get one, at least you will be prepared of the problems you may face. You should also remember this bike only has a quart of oil in the crankcase and it is not designed to stop at traffic lights idling. It suffers. when it gets dark you will see your header turn red while idling for more than a minute or two.
I don't know about you guys, I can't go slow on this bike, it is not even a real enduro bike in this sense, it wants to rip in every little stretch it finds.
I think if I had a chance to ride it for a little while before i bought it I would have gotten a WR250 for sure. Now if I sell it I'd get a 2stroke 300, I'm in love with TMs but a KTM would do.
I wish they still made a WR250 2stroke like they did 10 years ago.
As a mechanic I love having it an appreciate it, as a rider I think it is overkill for many reasons.

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 23, 2009 - 05:01 PM

Yeah, I'm not sold on the WR 450 what I'm sold on is a bike that I will never out grow, ever, and that will last me a long time.

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 23, 2009 - 05:03 PM

If I knew the TT-R would leave me just wanting a more powerfull bike so fast I would have never gotten it in the first place, maybe what I should do is just sell the piece of turd and quit riding. Then everybody wins lol...

• el bud

Posted December 05, 2010 - 09:01 AM

If a wr450 is what you really want, then go for it. You just have to accept the fact that at one point something is going to get farfed up, and you’ll have to fix it. This is how I approach it for myself. When I take out any of my bikes(dirt/street), I tell myself I’m going to go practice falling down. Of course the idea is to fail. If you want a bike to stay mint or museum condition, don’t ride it or get a bike you can spend all weekend just making it shine, and drinking beer. My bikes are my girls, I love to treat them good, give them what they need, and tear there asses up! Then repeat.:thumbsup:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:06 PM

If I knew the TT-R would leave me just wanting a more powerfull bike so fast I would have never gotten it in the first place, maybe what I should do is just sell the piece of turd and quit riding. Then everybody wins lol...

Bitch, Bitch.

Face it, you suck at riding, and need to practice, practice, practice.

Nothing worth having comes easy.

• ronbuell

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:20 PM

I've owned like 40 bikes over the years, and if you are into riding, you will own other bikes as well. The new crop of bikes have far more capability than I have as a rider, however, I will say that owning the newer rides has increased my skill tremendously. The 250 has plenty of power for me, and yes I do have more powerful bikes, but the potential for injury is much greater. Most of my friends who had 450s, have now down-sized to 250fs after finding out that lighter weight and easier hit at the end of the ride leaves you fresher and not worn out. You should consider the 250s or try them out before dumping your money on the bigger bike. Around here, the open class bikes are harder to sell. Out west , the larger bikes sell easier.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.